aresye

Man...I suck...

Maybe all newly A-licensed jumpers feel this way. I only have 33 jumps, and must say, I freakin suck. I've done some simple dives, like swoop and dock, and a couple track dives, but overall my ability to stay with a group is pretty bad. Even on a track dive.

For example, my friend and I did a track dive the other way. I'm still rusty at fall rate control, and so is my buddy, as he only has about 20-30 more jumps than me. We were level for awhile, and then he ended up pretty high above me. I'm better at quickening my fall rate, rather than slowing, and he has a relatively slow fall rate. Regardless to say, we never docked, and we both decided to track. He was above me, and I was below and behind him until breakoff. Part of our docking problem resulted from both of us trying to compensate for one another.

Any tips for how to control fall rate while in a track, without getting ahead of the person above you? Tips on staying with the group upon exit would help as well, as I'm still not that great at presenting myself to the relative wind.

Skydiving is definitely a very humbling sport, but I'm getting sick of solos, or jumps that end up as solos. What is the best way to work on my skills as I work towards my first 100 jumps?
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Try to track flatter? I was having similar problems doing a delta style track.

Now I literally look at my feet and my body goes beyond flat (slightly dearch) and starts cupping the air.

My track still completely sucks, but with that technique it's getting better.

The best way to get better is to jump more and jump with those that are better then you. I'm not talking 2-30 jumps better but 200-300 jumps better. Tracking jumps can be hard for new jumpers to catch on to so don't worry about them. Start working with your local organizers to get on fun 3-4 way skydives and seek out feedback on the ground to figure out what you were doing right/wrong on every jump. It might be worth it to get everyone on the jump to chip in for video every couple of jumps too since then you can get a good debrief from the video. The other thing you might want to do is see if the dropzone offers some sort of mentoring program, those are usualy targeted at jumpers with your experience level to help get them to the point they can safely do a 4-8 way skydive while learning in a safe environment.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

What is the best way to work on my skills as I work towards my first 100 jumps?

Best way is to get some good coaching. If easy to access, consider a wind tunnel. Try and do as many jumps as possible with people who have much more experience. Finally don't beat yourself up about jumps that you have done, it doesn't help. Debrief them honestly, then file them away and concentrate on the next jump. Sucking is all relative.

Blue Skies.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Bro,
You are being WAY too hard on yourself. You've a whole 33 minutes invested in mastering this sport. Give it some time and follow Phreezone's suggestion of jumping with those that have a couple hundred more jumps than you and they'll help you out with some free coaching after the jump. Give it some time, man... you'll get there.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

at this point in your skydiving your probably still playing behind the curve - what i mean is when someone, not necessarily you, sinks, floats, drives, or backslides, you still take a second to process what the correct countermeasure is then impliment it - when its two low time jumpers playing together and both take that fraction of a second to analize then correct, it often leads to overcorrection as both parties try to fix the problem, it can be frustrating, the cure is simply to a) get coaching, spendy I know, but if the coach has a camcorder, its invaluable for the debrief, B) jump with more experienced jumpers who will jump with you for the fun of it and remember what it was like to be new and have the skills and attitude to assist you in learning.

dont be hard on yourself, when you finally get to the point where something happens- not necessarily you, sinks, drives, backslides, etc... and you find yourself correcting it instantly without any concious thought, its an awsome feeling.

33 min or so of freefall time? heh if you never rode a motorcycle in your life... how good would you think you would be in a half hour of riding time? :)
relax, even on jumps where you dont think you learned anything, your brain is still analizing what didnt work, so in effect your still learning.

youll get thereB|

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Dude....I know who you are and I also jump at Elsinore.

Participate in the Excel Basic Camp...its free and will help a HUGE AMOUNT!! It's actually free coaching.

Good luck and ease up on yourself...I can relate because (in my mind) I was a MUCH better skydiver 30 jumps ago than I am today!

Like one of the other responses stated; 'its all relative.' (be it sucking, kicking ass, or whatever...imo if you can walk away from it, it was a successful skydive)

btw, your comment about skydiving being a humbling sport is the most accurate and honest statement I have seen on these forums. I too, understand just enough to know I don't know shit compared to a truly experienced skydiver

Good Luck,
pcnut

I was planning on going up to the Excel camps, but unfortunately my car's little situation is leaving me stranded down here, until I can save up the $2500 for a car repair >:(

I've been jumping the past couple weeks at SD San Diego, because my friend is taking his AFF course, and my other friend has been going there, and hasn't been up to Elsinore yet.

Pretty much I have to find a carpool in order to jump, and nobody's carpooling up to Elsinore. I should be good in a couple weeks though.

Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Skydiving is definitely a very humbling sport, but I'm getting sick of solos, or jumps that end up as solos. What is the best way to work on my skills as I work towards my first 100 jumps?

One mans OPINION
First and foremost don't bounce, get hurt or scare people!

Do NOT weigh in on political issues if possible, keep your options open.

You seem to have a grasp on being humble, work it!
Listen to everyones bullshit, smile and nod a lot.

Brown nosing has it's merits.

ALWAYS offer to help the manifest with anything!
(they will send people your way if they know you exist)
Hand a cold glass of water to the hard working staff.
Cold grapes on hot days are usually a hit too.
Always bring beer. (or other beverages)
Always suggest you need a first to get another case of beer.
Offer to assist with cleaning aircraft windscreens during refueling if possible.
If you brown nose the DZ staff other wanna be brown nosers will give you the time of day.
Assist with layout of parachutes for those who pack for themselves (IE many cameramen).
You can set pilot chutes, brakes and stretch out parachutes without affecting an opening. (GET SUPERVISION, have them check your work)
Help shag tandems and assist students with daisy chaining lines, and pick up dragging pilot chutes.

Be willing to get out of the way if that is most helpfull.

Be willing to jump with anyone including those less experienced than you are.
Sharing what you DO know will reinforce the process.
This may be noticed by those with similar attitudes that have experience to share with you!

A positive attitude has the best chance of producing positive results!

Read 'Johnathan Livingston Seagull', TWICE minimum!
I used to go to the used bookstores and buy every copy to gift to people.

PULL!
jumpin_jan
"Dangerous toys are fun but ya could get hurt" -- Vash The Stampede

I recommend tunnel time. I am in a similar situation. I'm still working on my belly skills and am by no means am I very good at 4-way dives yet. I did some tunnel time and the confines of the tunnel as well as the coach you have in there helped me realize how I was reacting in the sky. Tunnel time helped me learn to be more stable, react to level control better, and have a reference for what I was doing in the sky (not that I was completely lost, but the tunnel showed just how much I move around without thinking about it). Try to save $100-$300 for it, get it taped and review it. Also, you and your friend sound a lot like my friend and me. Work on your exits together, that is where so many jumps for me have gone wrong. If you start messed up, its hard to get back to a good skydive.

To me, I learn something on every jump whether it was successful or not. Every jump is fun and that is kind of the point isnt it? I have tried about 10 4 ways and havent had one successful yet. Only about 2 or 3 were my fault but they were still fun and taught us all something about our flying and that of the people we jump with.

Just have fun and be safe. Ive seen some close calls from people being a bit too agressive or not paying attention.

You know. I had this exact same thing happen about 6 dives ago.. We could never link or get close enough in the track... I was always below my mate, and we could never reach.
Although the dive was great and thrilling, it was difficult to learn from.

When i spoke to the instructors on the ground, they gave me some good tips around dearching in a track, as well as choosing someone to be base when in a dive!!
That was the probably the most important aspect that I learnt... Choose someone to be base..

As what everyone else has said too, jump with people way more experienced than you...

We'll all get there eventually ;)