MADPROPS

can you use Reserve Canopies as a main

Depends. Some reserves have no D-bag attachment. Some do. The ones that do have the attachment were designed to be used as either. Once used as a main, never again to be a reserve (as I understand it).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

was just thinking about this and i can't find anything on it why can you use a
Reserve Canopies as a main??

what would be wrong with that.they are built the same are they not???

Many companies will offer demos of their Reserves as main canopies, so you can at least try them out.

what Dave says sounds right though. I doubt you could take your actual reserve and attached it as your main canopy.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

In years gone by there were a number of canopies where the reserve and the main were the same.

However... Generally the line trim on a reserve is slightly different to favour more nose exposure and faster inflation rather than a better glide. Also, you're looking at an F111 canopy so it's not going to fly as well as ZP.

The freebag issue might be able to be fixed by a master rigger sewing some reinforcing tape and a piece of webbing for the D-bag but it might cause TSO issues - can't remember how that works with mains...

-Michael

I have not checked lately but...

In the USA (back in the day) you could use anything as a main as long as you have a TSO'd harness container and reserve.

From an FAA standpoint it can(could?) be done.

From a practicality standpoint you need to convince the DZO, S&TA, and pilot that you have 2 canopies and have a reasonable chance of surviving opening and landing on the main.

People used to occasionally put 'retired' round reserves in as mains for shits and giggles.

Alcohol may have been involved...
BEWARE OF BORED SKYDIVERS!!!
:)

PULL!
jumpin_Jan
"Dangerous toys are fun but ya could get hurt" -- Vash The Stampede

Once used as a main, never again to be a reserve (as I understand it).

This is a good idea, of course, but not the law.

Unless the manufacturer (whos instructions must be followed by law) states that this may not be done.

Unless the manufacturer (whos instructions must be followed by law) states that this many not be done.

OK. You're a rigger and a customer brings you a Raven and a rig and asks you to assemble it.

How do you know it's never been jumped as a main?

Unless the manufacturer (whos instructions must be followed by law) states that this many not be done.

OK. You're a rigger and a customer brings you a Raven and a rig and asks you to assemble it.

How do you know it's never been jumped as a main?

It would be great if whoever used it as a main made sure that fact was known....but that isnt likely to happen.

IIRC precision allows only a familiarization jump (I dont have the manual, so do not take that as fact look it up)

If it was used as a main for awhile I would expect some signs of wear.

Show me the packing card. If it was used as a main, they might have discarded the card.

I might go as far as not packing it if there is no known history.

You could technically use a bedsheet as a main as far as the FAA is concerned. Rigs are regulated, reserves are regulated...What you jump as a main, not so much.

If you want a performance canopy, you won't have much fun jumping an old reserve...But it should (I hope...:P)open well. If you're putting your first rig together and you want to buy an old Raven, you'll be OK but you will lose style points, and at the end of the day what's important:PB|

I got nuthin

thanks for all the info guys

don't think ill be doing that any time soon

i was just think maybe in 1 or two years for base jumping i could use an old reserve like a raven 4

it woul be cheap and not haveto many jumps on it lol ;)

live and let live

i was just think maybe in 1 or two years for BASE jumping i could use an old reserve like a raven 4

That's what the pioneers of BASE jumping did. I'd tell you to talk to them, but many of them are dead. In the wake of their legacy is left purpose built specialized gear.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

thanks for all the info guys

don't think ill be doing that any time soon

i was just think maybe in 1 or two years for base jumping i could use an old reserve like a raven 4

it woul be cheap and not haveto many jumps on it lol ;)

are you the type of person who buys a Porsche and saves a few bucks by putting value brand tires on it ?

last thing you want to do in BASE is use cheap piece of shit antiquated gear.

To answer your original question, yes any reserve can be used as a main, but like people said - unless it's a raven series it will need a bridle attachment sewn in (a few other older ones have that as well, but raven is still made like that). Also, it would open harder than your regular main.

i was just think maybe in 1 or two years for BASE jumping i could use an old reserve like a raven 4

That's what the pioneers of BASE jumping did. I'd tell you to talk to them, but many of them are dead. In the wake of their legacy is left purpose built specialized gear.;)

i think ill take the hint B|
live and let live

>How do you know it's never been jumped as a main?

You don't. You inspect it, and if it's airworthy, you might decide to repack it.

George Galloway was once asked if a Raven with 300 jumps could be used as a reserve. His answer was basically "it's up to the rigger; he's the one who has to determine airworthiness."

>How do you know it's never been jumped as a main?

You don't. You inspect it, and if it's airworthy, you might decide to repack it.

George Galloway was once asked if a Raven with 300 jumps could be used as a reserve. His answer was basically "it's up to the rigger; he's the one who has to determine airworthiness."

I agree with you, and that's my point.