west33freefall

Balloon Jump

My brother in-law's uncle has a hot air balloon. I have talked him into letting me jump out of it sometime this summer when he is around. I want to try and jump some where close to my house. I live way out in the country so it is relatively safe. I was looking for someone to give me a simplified way of doing it legally. I know you are supposed to notify the FAA and all that good stuff but was wondering if any one could just write out what I need to do. Like a step-by-step?

***Also what advice does anyone have to a virgin balloon jumper? What to do? What not to do?

***Also what advice does anyone have to a virgin balloon jumper? What to do? What not to do?

What to do? Add some more (hundred) jumps. Read a bit longer here and - last but not least: You have how many jumps under your belt, again?

What not to do? Stop dreaming (and start to work on necessary requirements).

Good luck. ;)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

What to do? Add some more (hundred) jumps. Read a bit longer here and - last but not least: You have how many jumps under your belt, again?Good luck. ;)

Why the need for hundreds of jumps, depending on his landing area and the pilots competance all he needs to do is exit at a decent height, deploy stable and land safely. AFF 1 students do it all the time, so too Static students.

Pick a good clean landing area with 'outs' and have fun.:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Agreed with the above statement. Pick your area according to your skill. I did a balloon jump in Eloy and the landing areas available were almost infinite (middle of the desert). Have also landed in the small field at the crossroads of a busy intersection. If you are jumping in an area with high population, you should definitely up your canopy skills with more jumps. Everyone flails on their first dead air exit. Don't worry about that, just be comfortable with where you may or may not have to land. Same as a normal skydive, spot the area you are over and if not comfortable, Don't jump. Oh yeah, One thing to think about is that you dont have a wind sock to follow, Early morning ( when most jumps are made) makes for minimal winds, but you need to be able to land your canopy in at least a bit of a down/cross wind situation. Have fun, Balloon jumps kick ass.

So how did everyones exits go first time?

I hear like BASE most people go head low?

Can't wait for dead air jumps... although exiting a plane is amazing, I can't help but think some of those big bungee jumps I did felt more "intense"... big drop in the gut and the flailing limbs... got to love it :)

So how did everyones exits go first time?

I hear like BASE most people go head low?

Can't wait for dead air jumps... although exiting a plane is amazing, I can't help but think some of those big bungee jumps I did felt more "intense"... big drop in the gut and the flailing limbs... got to love it :)

I went off backwards and watched the balloon get small between my feet. Then my wallet came out and spewed twenty dollar bill confetti across the desert. The balloon pilot said he thought I threw green confetti, if only..... :D The exit was great though. Did not feel the urge to flail at all. Just enjoyed the true weightless feeling of accelerating, and the gradual increase of the wind noise. Great experience and an awful lot of fun!
Less talking, more flying.