mjosparky

Reposts!!!!!! For what it's worth.

Below are 4 reposts that I think would be good for us all to give some thought to.

There are 2 things that you must do on each skydive in order to survive. One is to deploy a land able canopy and two is the land that canopy safely. It does not matter how many points you turned or how long your swoop was. If you do not perform these 2 tasks it is safe to say you will not survive.

Rob Harris, Dave Wilds, Tom Piras, Roger Nelson……..They were Gods, World Champions, Icons.

They had natural talent, incredible skills and were hugely current………And yet the ground offered them no concession for their level of skill or experience.

There are few, now or in the future, who will reach their level in this game we play.

Never for a moment become so arrogant as to believe you are the one that has what it takes to avoid their fate.

If one person has come up to you and suggested that “what you are doing is not smart”, “You need to slow down”, “You are not ready for that” or any of the well used warning phrases that is your first wake up call. If you heed this warning and modify your behavior there is a chance you will last past the tourist period. (5 - 10 years)
If two or more people have approached you and voiced one of those “phrases” and you responded with, “I can handle it”, “I learn faster than most”, “I know what I am doing”, or any of the other well used “stay out of my business” phrases, you have a good chance of not making your tourist period.

“Wake up to the fact that when you step out of an airplane you are effectively dead until YOU do something to change that fact. If you depend on your audible, your RSL, your AAD or your Mother’s Rosary Beads there may come a time when they fail you. If at this time you have put your faith in them and not in yourself this is the time that you just may die doing something you love.”

Stay safe,

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

here is another phrase that a well respect jumper once posted,
I liked it so much it's been my sigline for a while now
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I just wish some of the skygods

The jumpers I mentioned were true "Skygods" not Wanabees. I would like to go back to the old definition of “Skygod”. It was someone who really knew his shit.

Sparky

I just wish some of the skygods

The jumpers I mentioned were true "Skygods" not Wanabees. I would like to go back to the old definition of “Skygod”. It was someone who really new his shit.

Sparky

I know, the term skygod i was using was the new not so cool term ( ignorant fucking idiot that knows better than anyone else that will ever reply or give advise) I know what and who you were talking about.:P
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

when I was a tourist and did stupid stuff.

Tim,

I don’t remember you doing a lot of “stupid shit”. Unless you count that 1200 foot opening on the balloon jump. And you thought I forgot.:)
Sparky

This is an awesome post. I'm glad I read it, and with ten jumps under my belt, I realize every time I get in the plane that I need to focus, focus, focus. Because I don't know crap and I want to survive to keep doing this for many, many more years!

Thank you for posting those quotes.
He who laughs last didn't get the joke.
Freefall Express

when I was a tourist and did stupid stuff.

Tim,

I don’t remember you doing a lot of “stupid shit”. Unless you count that 1200 foot opening on the balloon jump. And you thought I forgot.:)
Sparky

Nah, I didn't figure you forgot and if you want to call it 1200ft, I'm okay with that... :$... I remember seeing something slightly lower on my wrist mount... I still don't know to this day how it is my Cypres didn't go off. I know from the pubs that Cypres doesn't arm until 1500ft on the way up, but if I ever meet someone from Airtec that I figure really knows something that I can ask face-to-face, I've always figured I'd ask them if Cypres has a problem with arming during a slow ascent, like in a balloon... wild assed speculation on my part!

Anyway, if I had to acknowledge what I thought was my own worst enemy in skydiving is my willingness to take it off the bottom sometimes because of a really bitchin' track or in a pinch, vertical separation is good too. However, I also find myself becoming increasingly weary of jumping during turbulent conditions or concerned about getting taken out by someone else under canopy. In short, I think back to myself as a 600-900 jump jumper and remember how I thought I knew something back then, but now at 3000+ I know I didn't.

You can really die doing this shit and when it happens, it ain't pretty and sometimes it ain't quick.:|

going through some of the old threads whilst searching for these legends and how they kicked the bucket came up with some intresting things....

The other gun ho heros who sid they would be fine and ended up with massive head injuries, the downsizing boys who had advanced skills, so went onto crossed braced canopys and spun them selves up.

I know I do fit into the above catagory, but never really saw it untill going into old threads and seeing the guys who are no longer with us due to thinking they had the skills, and then could not find them when it all went wrong.

Don't take me wrong i'm not going to upsize as i enjoy the speed my wingloading and canopy gives, and am willing to take the risk, (kind of like me driving a motorbike at high speed, i know its risky, but do love it)

But I'm going to take another canopy course as soon as possible and may even listen a bit more to some of you guys who have scraped a few of your friends from the runways.

Cracking post Sparky, first one that has actually made me think..

This is a grest post.
You know I was familiare with Roger Nelsons story and his Dropzone, but I didn't know how his chapter ended until about 3 minutes ago. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=584608;search_string=Roger%20Nelson;#584608

I believe it is worth a read to us newer folks. Always keep your head on a swivel, and don't assume everyone sees everyone else
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Rob Harris, Dave Wilds, Tom Piras, Roger Nelson……..They were Gods, World Champions, Icons.

They had natural talent, incredible skills and were hugely current………And yet the ground offered them no concession for their level of skill or experience.

There are few, now or in the future, who will reach their level in this game we play.

Never for a moment become so arrogant as to believe you are the one that has what it takes to avoid their fate.

Not that it would increase the emphasis but add these names to that hallowed list: Sandy Wambach and Patrick DeGayardon. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

...may even listen a bit more to some of you guys who have scraped a few of your friends from the runways.

And here we were thinking that you were way too Extreme for that. Could spelling, grammer, and punctuation also lie in your future ?? ;)

You can really die doing this shit and when it happens, it ain't pretty and sometimes it ain't quick.:|

Very poetic. This one needs to be repeated over and over as well. Thanks for the nugget!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

If one person has come up to you and suggested that “what you are doing is not smart”, “You need to slow down”, “You are not ready for that” or any of the well used warning phrases that is your first wake up call. If you heed this warning and modify your behavior there is a chance you will last past the tourist period. (5 - 10 years)
If two or more people have approached you and voiced one of those “phrases” and you responded with, “I can handle it”, “I learn faster than most”, “I know what I am doing”, or any of the other well used “stay out of my business” phrases, you have a good chance of not making your tourist period.

I like my short version better:

If someone tells ya you're fucking up, could be you are- or could be they're an asshole.

If two people tell ya you're fuckin' up....YOU'RE the asshole! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Very poetic. This one needs to be repeated over and over as well. Thanks for the nugget!

I guess my corellary to that for folks who say, "I don't believe in Black Death!"... my response has always been, "If you jump long enough, you will... you will."

I think I may write this one on the inside of my googles.

Thanks, Zig Zag. And thanks for starting this thread, Sparky.
Blue Skies, EZ landings everyone....

Just burning a hole in the sky.....