skybytch

down's syndrome skydiver

As an attorney, though, let me just toss out something for DZOs to think about. If it really is the case that people with Downs Syndrome have the intellectual ability of a child, how does that impact their legal capacity to sign a waiver? As we all know, children cannot legally sign waivers (which are basically contracts). I have not researched the law on this, but I suspect that waivers signed by individuals with Downs Syndrome may not be binding. If that is the case, DZOs are taking a huge risk by letting these folks skydive. A bad injury, or God forbid, a fatality, could result in a very costly lawsuit in which the waiver might not provide any protection. I would welcome the input of any other lawyers out there who might know more about this issue than me.

Perhaps I misunderstand the nature of these things, but I believe the problem with letting a guardian sign for a minor is that the minor can bring suit when they reach the age of majority. In this case (barring a miraculous cure for Down Syndrome), who would have standing to sue other than the guardian that signed the release?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Casey: (I wanna play)...Football.

interviewer: is it better than skydiving?

Casey: No. It's not better than skydiving. No.

Being an ex-football player, that part made me laugh out loud. I thought it was great cuz I can relate. Had to email it to everybody.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein