danny2485

batman tech

Some years ago I was caught B.A.S.E. jumping from a building by a passing police officer here in San Diego. The officer was cool and said as long as nobody is complaining about we'll let it go. But he took down my name, address, and phone number.

The next day I got a phone call from a police captain from the San Diego Police Department and he said, "Hey Nick," and I said "Yeah," and he said, "Could you teach a couple of my guys to do that?"

So I said, "Why?" And he said, "I thought maybe I could station them on some downtown buildings and when they saw a crime they could swoop down on it."

I said, "Are you serious?" And he said, "I'm serious as a heart attack." So I said, "You mean sorta like Batman?" And he said, "Yeah, just like Batman!"

I actually thought about for a few seconds before I got a hold of myself and told him to forget about it . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

So I said, "Why?" And he said, "I thought maybe I could station them on some downtown buildings and when they saw a crime they could swoop down on it."

Well, at least he was thinking big. Think of the PR if they managed a couple batman like arrests...the crooks would all move to the parts of town with shorter buildings!

When you're doing a building jump, are you often waiting a while for conditions (wind especially, traffic below) to set up? The urgency of catching someone below is not too compatible.

call from a police captain from the San Diego Police Department

For me, that is the funny part. I'm just gonna go with the assumption that EVERY ONE of his subordinates was smarter than him :S I really, really hope so ....
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I saw the new movie yesterday and I loved the fact that the new invention was called the "Sky Hook".

Mark Klingelhoefer

Dude, do a search or check the thread in the BF, the Skyhook aka the Fulton extraction system was around long before Bill thought about his device.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING