DZJumper

Passed my AFF Level 1

Man I had one of the best days of my life.

I started the day with my first solo jump, holy crap was that awesome. hanging onto the wing strut was intense. Looked up and my JM and let go. What a ride, the chute opened and enjoyed a excellent ride down to my landing.

I then continued my day with my AFF level 1. The nerves hit into high gear. I did my ground school, then suited up for my jump. Went up to 12,500ft, closed my eyes to focus and run through what I needed to do.

I was given the go ahead to get into position at the door. Stuck my head outside the door, breathed and relaxed. Went up and down and gone, woohoo!! Holy crap this is awesome. I did everything I was taught to.

I did a good arch, I felt so stable. I asked my instructors how my arch was. They said they were hardly holding on and if they let go they felt confident I would not be going anywhere. Big confidence booster for sure!

Checked my altimeter, saw 6000ft. My eyes were glued to the altimeter. I saw 5000ft, reached and pulled. Everything went perfect, the chute opened and enjoyed a very nice ride down back to mother earth.

I passed my AFF level 1 perfectly. Next Sunday, AFF level 2. Same thing pretty much, but with some turns in it.

I was grinning ear to ear, what a rush, felt like I was dreaming.

One thing I noticed is when I pull the chute is the lag straps dig into my inner thigh. Kind of making it uncomfortable. Is there anything I can do to make it easier to bare? Loosening the straps or some padding?

congrats bud! glad you enjoyed it. trust me it just keeps getting better. about the leg straps, what i do is before i jump i just get the straps up as high as they will possibly go past my junk and then I sorta do a quick squat so they slide into a nice comfortable position. works for me.

Loosening the straps will only make it worse, and/or dangerous. Some padding could help though, but what I really found works well, is some kind of compression shorts, in addition to some padding. Also, while you tighten your leg straps, try pulling up on the leg straps, so you can feel where they're going to go during pull time.

Congrats on passing your Level 1! It sounds like you're on a good roll so far. Keep it up!
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

AWESOME, :D reading your post helped me relive my aff1 :)! I am kinda new as well, just graduated last weekend and got my fix doing my first coach jump and my second "solo" solo....so far it is just like everyone keeps saying it only gets better and better!

keep rockin'
blue skies;)

"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

It will get better once you get on gear that is your size, not one size fits most. But untill then ask your instructors which way to rotate your leg straps to make it better. Also make sure hip rings (or were leg straps are sewn together) are close to the top of your hip bone. Both of these will make opening better. Congrats!!!!:)

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I got a couple suggestions for the leg strap digging in. Does anyone else have some suggestions that I can try?

I just got my own gear about two months ago and it made all the difference. You'll notice a HUGE difference then. I just had to deal with it until then.

Congrats, dude! I finished AFF 1 about a week ago, too.

Can't focus at work anymore. Obsessed with the next jump.

LOL, that's how I feel right now. Counting down the days, before I can jump out of the plane again. Getting the butterflies to as the days get closer.

Btw, congrats on passing your AFF 1 as well!!

Today i jumped 2x today. i completed my level 2 and 3. Next Sunday i go up for level 4.

Should be fun, I start doing 90 degree and 360 turns. With no one holding on to me. Should go well.

I'll let everyone know how it goes next Sunday.

In the meanwhile. Blue Skies!

Congrats on the Levels!

As for the leg straps, I had the same problem, and found it mostly to be mostly as I was not used to having leg straps on.. and secondly, the rig didn't fit properly.
After about 10 jumps or so, I got used to the straps, and changed rigs, and everything got a lot better! Now on my own equipment, and i dont mind doing hop-n-pops from 11k and sitting under canopy.

Best of luck for the rest! It only gets better!

Congrats, dude! I finished AFF 1 about a week ago, too.

Can't focus at work anymore. Obsessed with the next jump.

I'm the same way. my first jump was just over a week ago. my next is 2 or 3 weeks away. i want to go now [:/]
"When the people look like ants-PULL,
When the ants look like people-PRAY."
"Only skydivers know why the birds sing."