chrismgtis

Fear sitting next to the door

You could try this. Let people around you know that the door is uncomfortable (I wouldn't use 'fear') and that you need to be a little ways away. You might get a little ribbing, but it is a small price to pay for being comfortable before you jump. It is a rare situation when you MUST be the one who opens the door or sits by it when it is open.

And truth be known, I don't like opening the door either. Not sure why, but it seems so {I don't know the word}.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

I do understand that sometimes, jumpers with lower jump numbers are part of a RW pack! Jesus, I've seen them, can you imagine?? But, that was not question of this thread. OP did not say a word about any RW group. So let's talk about a solo jumper, that's impression he and entire thread communication left to me.

Until today, I never saw a low No. jumper (say 30 jumps) exiting before a FF group - never. You can imagine, they are a bit quicker than you, right? (Or did you count until 20?) Or your hard deck is at 1000 ft? If it's usual at your DZ. OK, I don't mind. If you ever should bother to jump in Europe, just read local rules.

JFI: I jumped in Spain (most of jump Nos.), Belgium, Switzerland, Netherland, Canada, South Africa. Various kinds of planes. Small and large helicopters. Jump runs always were the same. As I stated before.

Yes they are quicker but jumpers on their belly drift more than freefliers.

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE FIRST ONE'S OUT YOU WILL BE SITTING BY THE DOOR.

Says who? Who made the decision for "YOU"? What BS is that?

As per my experience, jumpers talk to each other. (High pull? How many jumps? Doing what? OK, you're behind me ..... etc.)

so are you saying you determine exit order after you are in the aircraft rather than boarding in exit order?

I do understand that sometimes, jumpers with lower jump numbers are part of a RW pack! Jesus, I've seen them, can you imagine?? But, that was not question of this thread. OP did not say a word about any RW group. So let's talk about a solo jumper, that's impression he and entire thread communication left to me.

Until today, I never saw a low No. jumper (say 30 jumps) exiting before a FF group - never. You can imagine, they are a bit quicker than you, right? (Or did you count until 20?) Or your hard deck is at 1000 ft? If it's usual at your DZ. OK, I don't mind. If you ever should bother to jump in Europe, just read local rules.

JFI: I jumped in Spain (most of jump Nos.), Belgium, Switzerland, Netherland, Canada, South Africa. Various kinds of planes. Small and large helicopters. Jump runs always were the same. As I stated before.

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE FIRST ONE'S OUT YOU WILL BE SITTING BY THE DOOR.

Says who? Who made the decision for "YOU"? What BS is that?

As per my experience, jumpers talk to each other. (High pull? How many jumps? Doing what? OK, you're behind me ..... etc.)

:|

The OP didn't say a word about being solo OR in a group. He just said 'sitting next to the door'. IIRC, you were the first one to bring up "you have lower jump numbers, and therefore should be sitting further away from the door."

You've been very careful to point out your experience...surely you understand why exit order goes large to small belly, large to small FF, students, tandems, high-altitude HnP's, wingsuiters, right?

If not, do a search for 'exit order' - your bit about freeflyers 'being a bit quicker than you' is irrelevant, and dangerous. Vertical separation means nothing, horizontal separation means everything.

Please look it up. The life you save may be your own. (I would suggest spinning off this thread to an exit order thread, but that dead horse has been beaten too many times).

-----

And now back to our originally scheduled program. To the OP, nope, I love sitting next to the door. I *do* remember a time when I used to be kinda freaked out by it, at about 40 jumps or so. But I rationalized myself out of that pretty quick.
Signatures are the new black.

So a solo belly should step out before a head down four way?

these days I am always first out since most solo jumpers open higher then me (3500) and there is usually a fair amount of tandems in the plane

I would not be comfortable taking off not knowing what the jump order is, thats something I like to know before I board. My main concern with being first to jump is feeling responsible with spotting other airplanes below. I spend the whole flight looking for airplanes instead of taking some time to relax and focus on the jump.

Paul, I'm very sorry for your loss.

I get creeped out if I'm sitting on the floor next to the door. More so when somebody wants to open it 1/2 way to let some air in.

I think for me, it comes from movies where people get sucked out of an open doorway on an airplane.

It's odd what goes on in our heads during the ride to altitude.

I actually "like" sitting at the door. Chuging along at flight speed wtih one leg dangling out the door is quite liberating.

My only problem was falling "off" the plane. I was the first out in an 8-way. I reached out to grab the bar and hold till the rest of the group was in place. (4 out the door and 4 just inside). Of course, I slipped my grip and the wind blew me from the plane. I remember falling back-to-earth, watching the others looking down at if to say "WTF".

My wife happend to be at the DZ that day (not a jumper). I pulled high (about 6k) so that I could make it back to the DZ. The others in the group walked by my wife and said "Well, we lost him...", and kept on walking. Needless to say, my wife was not very happy as I landed a few minutes later and walked sheepishly into the hanger.

Oh well, it was a fun learning jump.... (g)

Steve
The definition of insanity is to keep doing things the same way, but then to expect different results. -Einstein

I have no idea what you are talking about with people stepping over 100 jump numbers. IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW MANY JUMPS YOU HAVE. IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE FIRST ONE'S OUT YOU WILL BE SITTING BY THE DOOR. Your logic is very flawed in the way you are looking at the exit order.

Take it easy! Don't let others distract you. ;)
You'll get used to it and over it. Its something like sitting in the door on jump run, legs out and waiting for the spot to come and your heartbeat is still normal. Its just a question of practice and currency.

so are you saying you determine exit order after you are in the aircraft rather than boarding in exit order?

No. I did not say that. If I'm the most experienced one on that load, yes. If not - what I said before: We talk to each other (mostly I know exit order before entering the plane, that's what I consider very normal) and last but not least, often there is a smart LO ....

Jeez, WTF are you fighting for? There is a jumper feared to death when sitting close to the door, afraid to open that door - where's the problem? If he's doing solo, let him stay at the rear part. If he's part of a group, let the next one open the door.

:|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Come on guys don't go getting in arguments about exit order. The exit order was fine. I wasn't the first one out, I just happened to end up on the floor next to the door because we were late getting to the plane at Skyfest. It's a simple thing really. :P Was wondering who was scared shitless sitting beside the door. :D

Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan