virgin-burner

what's the deal with packers in the US!?

I work as a packer. When I'm there to jump I don't mind paying someone to pack for me if the service is available. It means I'm less tired at the end of the day and enjoy my jumps more.

There are other examples that point toward as you mention newer jumpers not developing the skills they need. I like to check the spot just before the light goes green. Some big DZ jumpers never learned how to spot.

How about attaching a main to a rig. Yes every jumper should be able to do that - they do maintain their 3 rings properly don't they? Again how many can?

These sorts of things happen in just about every walk of life.

-Michael

I can tell you that if I told my packers that I am not going to use them anymore because I was called a fat lazy american they will come looking for you.>:(

please, please, dont! :o

:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I work as a packer. When I'm there to jump I don't mind paying someone to pack for me if the service is available. It means I'm less tired at the end of the day and enjoy my jumps more.

There are other examples that point toward as you mention newer jumpers not developing the skills they need. I like to check the spot just before the light goes green. Some big DZ jumpers never learned how to spot.

How about attaching a main to a rig. Yes every jumper should be able to do that - they do maintain their 3 rings properly don't they? Again how many can?

These sorts of things happen in just about every walk of life.

-Michael

i completely agree with you, i just feel skydiving to be way too dangerous to let someone else "fuck around" with my gear. as nick said, we're being taught to be quite self-reliant. we dont do pinchecks on others for example. you, and yourself are lonely responsible for your gear. so packing it, is a major part of that.

i do know in theory how to put a three-ring together, never having done it, puts me to shame tough.. :$

but packing is such an everyday thing.. :|
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

because we do it ourselves!? :S

you are responsible for your safety and your gear! simple..

now, if you see someone that has something hanging out, of course you'll tell them. but your initial checks, you do yourself!

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

At the 2 minute call it's easier for some else to see my pin then it is for me to check it by feel. Why wouldn't you want to have someone check your pin at that time? If someone wants me to check their pin, I would never turn them down or think badly of them. It isn't being lazy it's just double checking things.

I think you are painting with too broad brush. At my DZ I see lots of jumpers, new and experienced, packing their own chutes. I also see the veterans helping newer jumpers when they get that deer-in-the-headlights look.

We do have packers, but they no way resemble your desciption. Perhaps you need to get out more.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Anything can happen. It's always good to have a second pair of eyes checking things. Just because you are careful in the plane doesn't mean you can't have the pin begin to work it's way out. It's always good to have someone check it. Just in case you are wrong when you feel for it.

You definitely need to get out more. You have a typical rookie attitude that will change over time.

There is nothing wrong with getting a pin check. It doesn't imply laziness.

A malfunction can happen to anyone. No matter how careful they pack their parachute.

There is nothing wrong with paying a packer. They often will do a better job then you.

coz i'm trying to move careful in the plane in order not to dislodge it. i can easily get there to feel it. i checked it on the ground visually..

A decent pin check will also review the bridle routing, kill line window and maybe even riser covers! Don't leave home without one! I get mine before boarding and then check the pin myself before exit.

Asking for a pin check is a good excuse to meet new folks.

I do wish people with faded kill lines would put a sharpie mark or something on them.

Back to packing. I used packers for a lot of my jump number 25-100, I wanted to focus on the skills of the jump. Right around 100 (not by design) I switched to mostly packing myself, my packer seems quite disappointed about that. If I go to jump hard I will use a packer and can do 8 jumps in a day, if I go to socialize and pack myself then I get 3-4. Just depends on the mood. I must admit I trust others a lot less now and do prefer to pack myself.

You definitely need to get out more. You have a typical rookie attitude that will change over time.

you might be correct with that..

There is nothing wrong with getting a pin check. It doesn't imply laziness.

i didnt say there was anything wrong with it. i just stated what was common practice over here.

A malfunction can happen to anyone. No matter how careful they pack their parachute.

i dont doubt that, but its usually due to a packing error. if you try to avoid that, its less likely to happen.. if i'm off ways, please dont hold back educating me..

There is nothing wrong with paying a packer. They often will do a better job then you.

i dare to disagree on the second part of that post. while there's nothing wrong with paying a packer, except i'm missing out on the money for more jumping, nobody should know my gear better than me!

i feel people are offended a little. i'm just asking a question, if you cant bother answering or feel pissed off about it, then dont! :)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

maybe you should read better: i wrote that i had the IMPRESSION that it was common over there to use packers. i also noted that i've only been jumping in my country. :)

And I was just trying to help you fine tune the impression.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

A decent pin check will also review the bridle routing, kill line window and maybe even riser covers! Don't leave home without one! I get mine before boarding and then check the pin myself before exit.

what speaks against paying attention to those things while packing and checking again before boarding yourself?

i speak to pretty much every new or old face at the dz anyway.. :)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

maybe you should read better: i wrote that i had the IMPRESSION that it was common over there to use packers. i also noted that i've only been jumping in my country. :)

And I was just trying to help you fine tune the impression.

thanks! :)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

It's often very diffucult to get an accurate read on what a person's attitude is over the internet. I am not offended. I just think you have some misguided opinions on packers and pin checks. Your post about you being responsible for your own gear and therefore not needing anyone to check your pin for you is in my opinion misguided and assumes you can see everything on your gear. There have been more then one person saved from a container lock or other malfunction by having a pin check. You can misread things and having some else check yoru pin can catch your mistake. Everyone can make a mistake. It's a dangerous attitude when you think you can't make a mistake checking your gear.

what speaks against paying attention to those things while packing and checking again before boarding yourself?

i speak to pretty much every new or old face at the dz anyway.. :)

Getting someone to review your work does not mean you don't put in 100% yourself. I hope your work is perfect, myself, I cast enough doubt to be reviewed.

because i pack my own shit and spend a great deal on care about it! most malfunctions are due to packing errors if i'm not mistaken..

Somewhere I believe that Bill Booth said that he thought 50% of malfuctions were caused because of poor body position on deployment.

Why do I use packers ALL THE TIME:

1. I hate packing
2. I can afford it.
3. Packing is not tough to do correctly.
4. Body position has a lot to do with malfuctions.
5. My time at the dz is valuable, and for ME (not you and that's fine) I don't see the risk that you do.
6. I am for sure an lazy American when it comes to packing. :P
7. I get more jumps in when I don't pack.

For what it's worth I always stow my brakes before I drop my rig and I check my pin twice. Also I jump a conservative canopy.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

>in switzerland, everything works a bit different in skydiving.

When I started, I learned to pack before I had 10 jumps, and started supporting myself by packing for first jump students. I still pack myself whenever I have time. Recently a student of mine graduated, and even though it takes her 45 minutes to pack, she still packs for herself at jump #60. So it's not always different.

On the other hand, I was shooting video for a competitive 8-way team this weekend, and had two rigs and a packer; there's no other way to do back-to-back loads, and that's what this team was doing.

Pin Check -- Gear check -- two sets of eyes are always better than one. And just a question, "Is your AAD on?" or "What color for you chute to be cocked?" add to safety, even if we know we did it. Doesn't hurt anything, and might just keep us from being hurt.

To me, asking someone else is taking care of myself.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

i dont want to call for prejudices, you know, the fat, lazy, ignorant american.. why dont YOU pack for yourself!?

Yeah, you nailed it on the head there. We Americans are all a bunch of fat, lazy ignorant bastards. Especially the ones from Texas. Everyone knows that you Europeans are much more enlightened and advanced than us. Have pity on our poor souls.