fred

You're on a 4-way, and notice you're at 1200ft, do you:

Frankly, I don't really see the point of turning away either. If I'm the only one who realizes we're low, the best thing I can do for my buddies is pull immediately. Turning burns another 200' off of their lives.

Got it. Agreed.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I would yank the hell out of my reserve without even thinking about waving off or turning or doing any of that stuff that's going to get you killed. At that point there isn't much you can do for the others except let them see your "Oh shit!" face and you pulling suddenly.

And hope I don't break my back I guess.

The ones who said turn, track and pull. Are you insane?
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Last time it happened to me, I turned and pulled simultaneously. Wound up facing away as my parachute was opening watching 2 other people actually try to track.

Agreed. Turning and trying to get to clear air is/ should be instinctive. Had the same experience many years ago. Saw my opposite in the 4 way pull in place, knew from his expression we were screwed. But still instinctively turned 180 degrees right. Pulled in place once I saw my proximity to the planet. Saddled out at 700ish and watched a team mate tracking below me. He had a very short ride. We all opened between 1000 and 500, all on our mains. Good thing we were jumping F-111, "low performance" stuff.

I'd like to say I'd go for my reserve but in Pullman, WA instinct took over. I found myself in a stand at 1600ft. Without thought, I immediatly went for my main (Unit III), no turn, no track & no belly - I pulled in a stand. The main opened at about 1100ft, both center A lines snapped & the canopy bow-tied. I immediatly chopped & pulled my reserve - my 26' lopo opened by 900ft. It was a short ride to the ground & I invested in a cypress.

If I were in a 4way, i'd likely be in a sit which would suck... I have no chops or reserve rides as of yet (knock on wood) and use an AAD, Id have to say i'd hope I'd just go silver instead of main (or in my case yellow monogramed "Sh*t") and hope it didnt blow up and/or break my neck.[:/] I have a sniveler of a main, hopefully brain would be on point or scared straight by that stage of the dive to go right for reserve, but ya never know.

So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

>I have a sniveler of a main, hopefully brain would be on point or scared
>straight by that stage of the dive to go right for reserve, but ya never know.

I suspect you'd go right for your main, as 90% of the people who are in that situation do. You won't do it in the air unless you practice it a LOT; the instinct to go for the main are just too strong.

I'm not very experienced but I chose to pull since that is too close for my comfort knowing it will take an additional 800 ft or so to open. Fabic over my head is first priority... I will deal with the traffic when it happens. Feel free to roast me on this latest comment.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

Prob right bill, wouldn't surprise me if were to go to my main. In theory, I'd like to punch my reserve, but muscle memory is a hell of a force in fight or flight mode. I'll just try and keep it above 2.5 :)
semi on topic- Saw a chop from the ground on a hop n pop from bout 1100ish (chop was 1100, not jump run). That was exciting :)

So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

I turned and pulled simultaneously.

I did that on one of my instructor PFF jumps but initiated at something like 4500 feet, rather than low pull. I went into my first linetwists that way. Was curious; did you end up in linetwists?

However, if I somehow ever found myself unexpectedly in a formation at the unforgiveable altitude 1200ft, I think I'd immediately instinctively PULL my main in place and THEN waveoff frantically or point frantically at altimeter -- while waiting for my PC to go to line snatch (I'd have one second to warn everyone, everyone would see me look panicked for a fraction of a second before instantly popping up).

Although my Sabre opens briskly and reliably unless it's been unjumped during a winter layover or similiar, I guess I'd probably would have an AAD fire anyway, though -- though might have already slowed down below AAD activation speed below 750ft, if I let go the PC knob by 1000 feet, that's assuming I reacted immediately within 1 second, not sure if I'd be reacting that fast. Scary thought to have two canopies try opening themselves simultaneously, more potential for tangle I'd think. I'd be white as a ghost when I landed and wonder what the **** happened for a fail like that.

Lowest pull was 2000ft for me, during a bigway event when I decided to track longer because of someone above. Rarely have a canopy still deploying below 2300 feet. I now have an audible (OPTIMA LED, since I am deaf) partially because it's now required equipment in some future bigway events I want to go to... But I don't want to become dependant on it.

I now have an audible (OPTIMA LED, since I am deaf) partially because it's now required equipment in some future bigway events I want to go to... But I don't want to become dependant on it.

What events would thtat be? I haven't heard this be a requirement.

I like the "wave off"... Who are you waving too? The people that pulled at 3K watching the dummies still in free fall? If there's something still falling above you and your at 1200' there's a lot more interesting problems at the DZ.
-Patrick

I would yank the hell out of my reserve without even thinking about waving off or turning or doing any of that stuff that's going to get you killed.

i hope you'll never find yourself in a situation like that but i would bet my money that you would deploy a main. think about the cypres fires - why most of these incidents involve two canopies out?

I'd probably would have an AAD fire anyway, though -- though might have already slowed down below AAD activation speed below 750ft, if I let go the PC knob by 1000 feet

Absolutely, guaranteed, for-sure two out.

Your AAD is on your back, which puts it in your burble when you are on your belly - where it will read about 300' high. Your CYPRES is actually designed to fire at 1050' in order to get it to fire at 750' while you are on your belly. If you are not on your belly, it will fire around 1050 feet. Let go of your main PC at 1000', and the instant your main stands you up, your AAD fires because you are below its activation altitude.

To not have two out, you need to be below AAD firing speed above around 1050'. How high you need to let go of your main PC to not have an AAD fire depends on how fast your main deploys.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

If the 4-ways going that great I might point at my altimeter while going for another point, so we all delta away as we pull.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

first i'd make a mental "note to self"
do NOT jump with these 3 people, again...:S:PB|
then i'd kick mself for not being altitude aware,>:(
then i'd fire my reserve, in an effort to beat the cutter, to the punch.[:/]:|:)
then i'd hide in shame.. for getting so low...
and for lettin my friends get so low. B|B|>:(

jt