fluffyduckie

Skydiving and fitness level

I have made a few tandem jumps this fall and am planning on taking the AFP course at Skydive Chicago in the spring. I go to a gym already, but am wondering if I should be focusing more on specific muscle groups. I am concerned because overall, my upper body strength is ok, but not great. I had a hard time pulling the toggles, but I don't know if that was because the tandem canopies are so much larger or if I really am that weak. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.:)
"I love when humans fly,"

If you can do one pull-up, you probably have enough strength. I'm not a TI, but I know they have a lot of toggle pressure. Standard student canopies don't take anywhere near that much.

Look at some of the girls that are jumping:)You have to be stronger than them, right??;)

Note: I don't think it's a stupid question. If you didn't know, I'm glad you asked.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Take a look around any dropzone.... It wont take you long to realise the fitness state of a large(!!) majority of participants....

:D Remember Beer is a major currency at all dropzones!!

Just relax and enjoy yourself.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Well I am a girl, so I hope I can keep up to the other girls.:P I haven't really met a lot of girls who jump so i don't really have a point of reference.

Oops!:$ I should check profiles more often before making smart ass responses:$

Seriously, I've seen quite a few girls jump for the first time (static line), and none had any problem pulling the toggles.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it. And I am aware of the beer policy and know the closest liqour store to the drop zone.B| And WolfRiverJoe? No worries, but how many guys do you know that use the words fluffy or duckie, alone or in conjunction?;)

Tandem toggles do seem to be a little stiff. I rode as a passenger not too long ago for a friend getting his tandem rating after doing around 120some solo jumps and the toggles seemed like they took more muscle than a normal canopy. That said the type of canopy also seems to make a difference. Sabre2's seem to take more toggle pressure than a safire2. After going though the course with a sabre2 I started renting and the gear shop has all Icaruses and they flare more smoothly and take less pressure to get to the 3 position.

Thanks, Skittles. You went through AFP this year, (I was at the graduation party.) Since you know the program, and the gear they jump there, I'd appreciate your thoughts. I've talked to Troy and Enzo about it, but haven't had a chance to talk to any students. You can message me if you want to stay off this thread.

Thanks.:)

I don't think you should have a problem. I miss SDC I did my training there. Even flew up from Dallas just to finish where I had started. Great crew there as it sounds like you already know. Have fun. Have a beer at the shoe store for me:D:D;)

I'm not the rope totin charlie Bronson wanna be that's getting us fucking lost.

And WolfRiverJoe? No worries, but how many guys do you know that use the words fluffy or duckie, alone or in conjunction?;)

On here??;)
Keep hanging around, and you'll find out how strange some of the usernames are:ph34r:

And WolfRiverJoe? No worries, but how many guys do you know that use the words fluffy or duckie, alone or in conjunction?;)

On here??;)
Keep hanging around, and you'll find out how strange some of the usernames are:ph34r:

my username is NOT strange! :o:P:)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

This is a sport that is essentially powered by gravity. The most energetic activity that some will ever encounter is stepping out the aircraft door.;)

This is a sport that is essentially powered by gravity. The most energetic activity that some will ever encounter is stepping out the aircraft door.;)

yet like most sports, fitness translates to easy and better results. Easier time crammed in during the flight up. Better tolerance for bad landings. Less aching at the end of the day. And for some of us, more compatible fall rate ranges.