Jumpdude

Today, Tennessee State law says No to Skyride!

As of today, 1 july 2008, It is now illegal for Skyride or any other company to run deceptive ads and websites in the State of Tennessee. Any company, By State Law are required to have their physical location CLEARLY posted on their website and/or ads of any kind. AND, The phone number listed on the website or ad BY LAW has to be answered in the local calling area of the advertised business and cannot be forwarded to a call center that is located outside the LOCAL CALLING AREA! Also, By STATE LAW, It is illegal for a business to use the name of a city such as Nashville, Memphis Knoxville, etc. to mislead a customer to the business's physical location.
GET LEGAL SKYRIDE OR WE WILL GET YOU, and now we have the teeth to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

And to augment this post with the following info:

Well, it's now official. A new law covering the kind of tactics that Skyride uses in their scams, now makes those tactics illegal and subject to fines and punishment. Fines can be as little as $1000 per violation to as much as $5000 per violation. Be warned, the Tennessee attorney general is now locked and loaded.

Here's the law: http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/bills/currentga/Chapter/PC0873.pdf

Take a look here for more info, it's a long scroll down through all of it. http://1800skyrideripoff.com/Skydiving/skyride/

Try it. Count the number of websites they have indicating locations in Tennessee, and multiply by the fine amounts.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

AND, The phone number listed on the website or ad BY LAW has to be answered in the local calling area of the advertised business and cannot be forwarded to a call center that is located outside the LOCAL CALLING AREA!

That is an unnecessary measure and a burden for business that operate multiple centers for purposes of managing outages, load sharing, acheiving an economy of reasonable scale, etc.

I did not read the actual copy, so maybe there are details or exceptions that make the scope reasonable.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I'm in my local calling area, why can't every other DZ? It's not my problem.
Like I said, We're comin' to get ya sLyride!!!! You've shitted too many people for too long, and now that I'm in the game, You've shitted the wrong person!! Eat some of your own shit slyride!
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

Let's drive em out Billy!! Yeeh Haa!!!!

It's kind of funny that they no longer have a DZ in Alabama and set one up in Tennessee, and then have to deal with this. :D

I just wish the Alabama state legislature were as efficient as Tennessee's. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

While I am happy to see this, I still don't understand why the whole Skyride thing couldn't be solved by DZ's simply not doing business with them.

Seems everyone hates the company, but they're still in business only because DZ's keep them in business.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

AND, The phone number listed on the website or ad BY LAW has to be answered in the local calling area of the advertised business and cannot be forwarded to a call center that is located outside the LOCAL CALLING AREA!

That is an unnecessary measure and a burden for business that operate multiple centers for purposes of managing outages, load sharing, acheiving an economy of reasonable scale, etc.

I did not read the actual copy, so maybe there are details or exceptions that make the scope reasonable.

It says that you can maintain a call center outside of the local area but it has to be purely for the purposes of customer service or account management and it sounds like the law says you have to advertise it as such - as a customer service center.

I think that will protect the businesses that maintain service centers in other areas while the physical business is in Tennessee ... it'll be interesting to see how this law plays out.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I will add this, This is one law that, even though it doesn't and cannot spell out the word "Skyride" or any other company name, This law is truly by skydivers, for skydivers. I think it's the beginning of the end of sLyride! Ya think?
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

So does this law go into effect today meaning that it is immediatly enforcable? If so, then please someone should put in a call to some lawyers TODAY so that they can start the paperwork to bust them while the websites are still up. Someone who is a skydiving has gotta know a lawyer in Tennessee.

I checked the sites earlier and I don't see any change. i made a call as if I'm a wuffo, they acted the same as if there was no law. Go figure. We worked with our senators all the way back to December to get this law made and stay on the down low until not for this reason. We knew that if they thought that someone would actually enforce this law, they would make the changes. Now since they are illegal, IT"S ON!!!!!!!! Here we go! Grab your ass and hang on for the ride of your life.
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

I will add this, This is one law that, even though it doesn't and cannot spell out the word "Skyride" or any other company name, This law is truly by skydivers, for skydivers. I think it's the beginning of the end of sLyride! Ya think?

I don't think it will be the end of Skyride, but if enforced, it'll at least thin their pockets a bit and hopefully force some truth into their damn websites...

While I am happy to see this, I still don't understand why the whole Skyride thing couldn't be solved by DZ's simply not doing business with them.

Seems everyone hates the company, but they're still in business only because DZ's keep them in business.

Agreed.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

This is really great news! I live in TN and I remember when I wanted to make my first skydive how horrible it was to figure out where these places listed on hundreds of websites were actually located...only to find out they don't really exist. After calling a dozen of 800 numbers to ask questions, I realized all they wanted me to do was give them my money....NO REALLY. They said, "Oh, you can just use the ticket whenever you want and don't have to make up your mind now. So how about that Visa number?"

Then I fortunately found DZ.com and learned about SR's scams. My suspicions were confirmed and I was prevented from being taken on one of those "Skyrides" I would have regretted!

That's very true. The list of dropzones that accept Skyride certificates is quite large - (I think it was posted on DZ.com recently?). Also, back in Summer '06 (while the Skyride shit was really hitting the fan publicly), during a road trip to various DZ 's in the Northeast, we were heading north after leaving Crosskeys and found ourselves near Skyride's Pennridge, PA DZ, so we diverted over to gawk a bit. Loads were being flown from an Otter clearly marked "Skydive DeLand". It was disheartening.

Come on all of you skyride supporters! Where are you now??? You've treid all along to put up a smoke screen to support slyride in the past, where are you now???
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

That's very true. The list of dropzones that accept Skyride certificates is quite large - (I think it was posted on DZ.com recently?). Also, back in Summer '06 (while the Skyride shit was really hitting the fan publicly), during a road trip to various DZ 's in the Northeast, we were heading north after leaving Crosskeys and found ourselves near Skyride's Pennridge, PA DZ, so we diverted over to gawk a bit. Loads were being flown from an Otter clearly marked "Skydive DeLand". It was disheartening.

Come on, does it suprise you. How often does the almighty dollar cancle out some ones "ideals". Sadly the dollar trumps all for many people, even when it is leaving a shitty taste in their mouth. :S[:/]

You can take the words skyride out and just subsitute it for all of the other scummy things many places pull: deferred maintanence, misleading claims made to tandem students, misleading websites that aren't skyride, wringing AFF students out until the money sponge is all dried up... on and on and on; it is sad.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

As of today, 1 july 2008, It is now illegal for Skyride or any other company to run deceptive ads and websites in the State of Tennessee. Any company, By State Law are required to have their physical location CLEARLY posted on their website and/or ads of any kind. AND, The phone number listed on the website or ad BY LAW has to be answered in the local calling area of the advertised business and cannot be forwarded to a call center that is located outside the LOCAL CALLING AREA! Also, By STATE LAW, It is illegal for a business to use the name of a city such as Nashville, Memphis Knoxville, etc. to mislead a customer to the business's physical location.
GET LEGAL SKYRIDE OR WE WILL GET YOU, and now we have the teeth to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got no love for Skyride, but if the law exists are you write it, it's pretty bad stuff.

How does the law applies to a website hosted on an ISP outside of Tennessee?

Why should phones calls have to be answered locally? Seems like an unncessary cost on businesses. Do you want to pay an extra buck a jump ticket for them to all phones in every local calling area?

Location names must not deceive? What is the standard? Skydive San Francisco is 80 miles north. You can see the Bay Area on jump run at Bay Area Skydiving, but Byron is in the Central Valley, not the Bay Area. How close does it need to be to be misleading?

The element that is fair and appropriate is the requirement to list the physical location. But I don't see how Tennessee law would apply to a third party vendor outside of the state.

I admit to skimming the bill and not really reading it closely (let alone reviewing the full text of the bill as amended), but I note that there appears to be an exemption for telephone listings for call centers that receive reservations. I assume Skyride would latch onto that language, particularly since it would pertain to exemptions for both local telephone directories and internet listings.
TPM Sister #102

The point in that is that when a customer sees a website that says they are, let's say, Columbia (Tennessee) Skydiving, The customer calls, then the sales person has to ask where the person is located, then when the customer questions why they are now sent to a location in Georgia which is 250 miles away and they don't get this information until AFTER they have been charged for their skydive PLUS the other BS fees that Skyride charges.
That, my friend is why we tweeked the law to add that. I don't know of any DZ around that has to have a call center. They usually do their own answering. We do... and we have no need for an answering service.
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

That's one gray are that we knew about. If it were a situation where a company was providing a service in which they were either coming to your place or selling you a shipable product, that would be one thing, but skydiving, as you know, is a situation where the customers come to us and that is where they use it as the deception. The reason we were able to get that part added was as we know, there are many states that skyride really don't have anyone that will do business with them. and until just in the last couple of months, no one in Tennessee accepted their crap.
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

I admit to skimming the bill and not really reading it closely (let alone reviewing the full text of the bill as amended), but I note that there appears to be an exemption for telephone listings for call centers that receive reservations. I assume Skyride would latch onto that language, particularly since it would pertain to exemptions for both local telephone directories and internet listings.

I believe that exemption was qualified as being for "existing customers."

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)