mitsuman

First self induced line twists....

It was Sunday, 2nd jump, jump #27. I was just doing the regular canopy flying then decided to do a quick 90 to 180 at around 1800ft when all of a sudden I feel my toggles loose pressure and i looked up and saw a mess of a canopy then my head was squashed into my chest because my risers crossed behind my head. about 3 seconds later I was able to get the canopy flying stable.

May not sound crazy but it was my first taste of a lower altitude malfunction. I've had line twists before but with a good looking canopy and at 3500ft~, what I saw of this canopy did not look like it would recover. Luckily it did.

BTW this was on a 220 Nav.

Cheers!

:beer:
Hi, my names Jon, and I love to skydive.

It was Sunday, 2nd jump, jump #27. I was just doing the regular canopy flying then decided to do a quick 90 to 180 at around 1800ft when all of a sudden I feel my toggles loose pressure and i looked up and saw a mess of a canopy then my head was squashed into my chest because my risers crossed behind my head. about 3 seconds later I was able to get the canopy flying stable.

May not sound crazy but it was my first taste of a lower altitude malfunction. I've had line twists before but with a good looking canopy and at 3500ft~, what I saw of this canopy did not look like it would recover. Luckily it did.

Cheers!

Line tension is life... when you lose it you go from pilot to passenger!

Brian G.'s book has a great couple of pages on maintaining line tension so you can stay in control of your parachute.

Avoid quick turn reversals, and build toggle turns progressively instead of quickly pulling them down. This allows the suspended weight, you, to keep up with the rate of turn.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Did you go through an ISP program to get your A license? Reverse turns, such as you did, are covered in the later stages of the ISP to help jumpers recognize this very situation. I'm just curious if you had instruction on this or it was a complete suprize.

- Dan G

My buddy did the same thing on a Sabre 150. He got his first "self induced line twists", his first chop, and his first DZ nickname. "Twister"!
He tried that crap at about 1500'. I think he needed to wash his new jumpsuit for the first time as well.;)

I'm behind the bar at Sloppy Joe's....See ya in the Keys!

Muff 4313

Cheers!

Line tension is life... when you lose it you go from pilot to passenger!

Brian G.'s book has a great couple of pages on maintaining line tension so you can stay in control of your parachute.

Avoid quick turn reversals, and build toggle turns progressively instead of quickly pulling them down. This allows the suspended weight, you, to keep up with the rate of turn.

Brians book is great, taught me a LOT I didnt know about canopy flying. For a guy who knows so much about canopy aerodynamics, he sure has busted a lot of his own bones.

I did a self induced line twist fooling around with my brand new Triathlon years ago. Luckily I was high and had enough altitude to undo it safely. The Tri is a forgiving canopy and lets you kick out twists that would result in a cutaway on sportier canopies.

Now I fly like a 747 below 2000 feet. No funny stuff.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Ill check out the book, also that is the reason why this whole thing happened, I didn't give enough time between turns. NOW I KNOW haha.

Did you go through an ISP program to get your A license? Reverse turns, such as you did, are covered in the later stages of the ISP to help jumpers recognize this very situation. I'm just curious if you had instruction on this or it was a complete suprize.

Yes I did the AFF course, this maneuver is actually part of the requirements to get the A, although i don't remember being specifically told what not to do, but i remember someone telling me not to worry with the big canopy's like the one i was riding.

Brians book is great, taught me a LOT I didnt know about canopy flying. For a guy who knows so much about canopy aerodynamics, he sure has busted a lot of his own bones.

To be fair, I think that's one of the reasons why Brian knows so much about canopy aerodynamics... ;)
Signatures are the new black.

Yes I did the AFF course, this maneuver is actually part of the requirements to get the A, although i don't remember being specifically told what not to do, but i remember someone telling me not to worry with the big canopy's like the one i was riding.

Maybe it's a little late, but you should worry about self-induced line twists on all canopies.:P

The canopies students jump today are low performance only compared to what more experienced folks jump. If you want to see a high performance canopy in action, just look up during your next jump. Chances are if you are jumping something built in the last 15 years, you have a high performace canopy over your head every time.

- Dan G

Quick question... What is your hard-deck?

Hard deck? Sorry..newbie alert.

EDIT:

Decision altitude for me is currently at 2500 but thats something i think i can bring down a bit since its been that from jump 1. Haven't really given it much thought to be honest with you.

Maybe it's a little late, but you should worry about self-induced line twists on all canopies.:P

The canopies students jump today are low performance only compared to what more experienced folks jump. If you want to see a high performance canopy in action, just look up during your next jump. Chances are if you are jumping something built in the last 15 years, you have a high performace canopy over your head every time.

haha yea i guess i figured that one out, the fun way... :S

not sure what jump I did my first self induced line twists but uut was the 15ish jump range. did it on a pilot 210, I only weigh 140. I got 2 or 3 revolutions before I was able to start to reverse it

made me respect toggle pressure and not to slam toggles around. I also fly conservativly below the hard deck of 2k after that

Decision altitude for me is currently at 2500 but thats something i think i can bring down a bit since its been that from jump 1. Haven't really given it much thought to be honest with you.

More experienced jumpers can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a decision altitude (i.e. a hard deck) is very important, especially for newish jumpers like you and me. As I'm sure you know, things happen very fast in the sky, and I personally do not want to be at 2500 thinking, hmm, do I chop or continue trying to fix this? By the time I answer that question, I'm at 2000, then I think oh shit, and I'm at 1500 . . . as you can see, this quickly goes somewhere bad.

It's also a good idea for us newbies not to unnecessarily do anything radical with our canopy below our decision altitude (and by unnecessarily, I mean short of avoiding a collision -- and even then it depends on what you're colliding with, how high you are, and how flat you can make your turn).