popsjumper

RTFM

Is it just me or what....

Why is it that we see so many questions about stuff that's right there in the SIM?

Doesn't anyone read the freakin' manual anymore? Is it all about just getting someone to tell you the info instead of reading it yourself?

I mean we're happy to help and teach them but geez, shouldn't there be some interest in helping themselves, too?

It seems that this goes in cycles where some years people research for themselves and some years it's back to being dependent on others....Ahhhh such is life.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

There is some great info here, but it's become so buried under the same old questions about readily available information that it's become not worth the time to wade through it all.

People, the SIM is free for download at www.uspa.org. There is plenty of other info out there on the net as well. Please do some research on your own before coming here to cry for help.

That is all...
Rock

People, the SIM is free for download at www.uspa.org. There is plenty of other info out there on the net as well. Please do some research on your own before coming here to cry for help.

AND if you use the digital version (PDF) there is a search so you can find your answers easily, probably as easy if not easier than making a post here and faster than waiting for a correct reply while everyone gets their groove on...

I just don't think it's stressed enough. So many people are used to trying to figure their iPods and table-saws out on their own that when they have a rig in their hands... they do the same. Too many people lack that intellectual curiosity about the way things work.

I've read the SIM carefully and use it for reference whenever I have a question. I've also read the manuals on every piece of skydiving equipment I own [which is limited at this point, but nonetheless].

The bummer is that when somebody responds to a question with "did you read the manual?" or "did you do a search?", they'll get yelled at for being a dick and not helping.

Aye.

I agree. RTFM.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Ahhhh...how many times have we heard that....

Not to undermine the original point but quite a few times it is from non US jumpers.

I've seen a lot of questions from international jumpers asking am I allowed to do XYZ that are answered with 'the BSR's or FAR's say.....' which is totally irrelevant.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

AND if you use the digital version (PDF) there is a search so you can cind your answers easily, probably as easy if not easier than making a post here...

AND you can search the online version too using Google. Just add "site:uspa.org" (note - no spaces anywhere!) after your search query.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

lol this is a funny thread as I"m new to jumping and was thinking the same thing. hummm I guess self reliance on learning criticle information is a bit to much for some :S
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

I mean we're happy to help and teach them but geez, shouldn't there be some interest in helping themselves, too?

Great point!!!! Most know the answer but want to get a rise from our forums to argue ppl's answers. The bottom line is that BSR's were not pulled from where the sun don't
shine. They were compiled from (pioneers) skydivers. The
SIMS was NOT written by a politician.... we wrote it so
Therefore READ IT. nuf said

..Human blood?
Whose?

It's gotta be that I don't know you yet and that I am simply reading you wrong...literary sarcasm or just being obtuse?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

..Human blood?
Whose?

It's gotta be that I don't know you yet and that I am simply reading you wrong...literary sarcasm or just being obtuse?

If there is one thing I almost never am, its obtuse.

If I had to guess, it was written in Don's blood but since he is dead I probably cannot say that but since he and I were friends he probably wouldent mind - so here goes, no wait, I already did it...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Never mind the SIM, look at how many people don't bother to read the manuals on their container, canopy, or AAD? >:(

How many incidents in the last couple years (e.g. the German demo and the Perris jumper) could have been prevented if people just understood how their freakin' CYPRES worked? It's something I always try to drill into students heads, but it doesnt seem to get through to many people.
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

Never mind the SIM, look at how many people don't bother to read the manuals on their container, canopy, or AAD? >:(

How many incidents in the last couple years (e.g. the German demo and the Perris jumper) could have been prevented if people just understood how their freakin' CYPRES worked? It's something I always try to drill into students heads, but it doesnt seem to get through to many people.

well, don't bother looking for up-to-date canopy manuals... I hear that some of them either don't exist or are horribly outdated. see this...

http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2289426;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Regrettably true. [:/]

I included canopies in there knowing full well that they're never up to date due to various issues (legal being a primary one), but at the very least, you get a lot of packing tips and get to see what people wore to pack back in 1988. ;)
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

I am proud to have a SIM and read it occasionally.... however, damn thing has literally put me to sleep...I'll stick to the PDF and that search..... lets face it we are all lazy and dont want to work for our answers.... a former school teacher told me " Its not that you know it ALL, it that you know where to go to find the answers...."

******Today is one day too late.********