kelter

First Jump? Winter

Hey all,
So it's averaging around -2 (Celcius) up here in Kelowna, BC. I'm DYING... DYING to make my first jump, which I think will be Tandem just so I can enjoy the ride without stressing over everything. Are winter jumps enjoyable? Should I wait until summer when it's 35 C?
Thanks so much,
Kelly

it depends on what you are wearing, don't be like me and wear jeans and a sweat shirt and that is above eastern washington correct? if so you'll probably have jumpable weather sometime soon but if you cant wait go now but it would be more enjoyable if you went in the spring or summer

Winter jumping SUCKS. That's why a good number of the Tandem Masters at my DZ bugger off to Florida or wherever as soon as the first snowflakes fall.

I've only done a handful of winter jumps, but to me, it's not enjoyable dressing up like the Michelin Marshmallow man, just to say you're hardcore, and jump in the winter. Not to mention, the possibility of locating, feeling and pulling your handles in an emergency. Now, if you're doing a tandem, that wouldn't matter as much, as long as the TM was wearing warm, nimble gloves :)

I do admit, it's neat though, landing in a huge pile of the fluffy white stuff. Either way, I know you'll have a BLAST :)

Enjoy your tandem, whenever you do it.

Cheers.
PULL!! or DIE!!

I did my AFF through the winter and loved every jump. A couple were damp, and cold. Good gloves and a sweatshirt made it bearable.

I would do it again, I was so excited. I am waiting for the planes to fly right now (maybe Saturday). I love to jump.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

I would suggest you wait until the weather is a little more tolerable. Winter jumping is just as much fun as any other jumping. You just have to adjust procedures for the weather and clothing required. Since you are from the "Northland", you know that if you want to play outside at this time of year you have to dress for it. Skydiving is the same. 120 mile per hour windchills are taxing but survivable. The trick for a Tandem would be to find a willing Tandem Instructor!! Good Luck either way!!!

Winter jumping is great fun, we had 2 SL students this weekend that both got their wings (5 SL jumps) in one day, in the snow! The one AFF student this weekend got his first 3 jumps in on Saturday. Sunday was too windy for students for most of the day, not sure if he did any more jumps.

Some pics of jumping in the snow this weekend here:
http://www.paracentrumteuge.nl/component/option,com_zoom/Itemid,489/catid,61/
Actually it wasn't that cold, -5 oC at ground level and -5 oC at 12000ft too I believe :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

. The trick for a Tandem would be to find a willing Tandem Instructor!! Good Luck either way!!!

hey the passenger is the windshield right?:P
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Yeah, need better luck to find a video guy. Nobody blocking his wind... :)
I've shot a few cold weather tandems and did one myself to get an instructor current. The students still have fun... until the instructor lands in a 3-inch-deep puddle of freezing cold water... :)
Dave