Orange1

Questions on currency

I would like a bit of clarification if possible on some of the comments on currency in some threads in incidents.
For example, in one thread one someone stated that "58 jumps in two years is not a lot". I can see the point, and I realise there could be issues wih the timing, BUT this was well over minimum BSRs? I realise keeping currency at the absolute minimum required by the BSRs is NOT the way to go, but presumably these were drawn up with the ideas that it would be enough to keep jumpers safe?
On a related question, what would the experienced guys here themselves recommend in terms of minimum jumps per month for say students/novices/A licenses? (Bearing in mind that not all of us are able to spend all weekend every weekend at the DZ, much as we'd like to)...
thanks
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I can't speak with any authority on BSRs but if they are simliar to our Op Regs, you'll find that a lot of the regs were written quite a while back. When 100 jumps was considered to be a lot of jumps. If the currency requirements were written then, then they would be more appropriate to those times.
I also believe that the requirements for currency both in the US and Oz (don't know any others) are too low and could well do with a review.
But I'm only a lowley relative newbie so there may well be better reasons for the current status that I'm unfamiliar with.:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I think it's really hard to set firm numbers as to what specific amount of jumping is "enough". The guidelines are in place because there has to be some sort of rule of law, but there's never a "one size fits all".

The people who can best answer this question are probably your instructors, as they have the most direct knowledge of your abilities.

The people who can best answer this question are probably your instructors, as they have the most direct knowledge of your abilities.

I get your point on that, but by the same token then how can anyone here judge if 58 jumps in 2 years is enough, a lot, or not? I was just kinda asking for general guidelines.

It would also be different (I guess) for say someone who at least reads something about skydiving every day they don't jump, or practices EPs or whatever, and those who don't think about it at all between their once-a-month currency jumps... (and yes, unfortunately I DO know people in the latter group.)

I get your point on that, but by the same token then how can anyone here judge if 58 jumps in 2 years is enough, a lot, or not? I was just kinda asking for general guidelines.

It would also be different (I guess) for say someone who at least reads something about skydiving every day they don't jump, or practices EPs or whatever, and those who don't think about it at all between their once-a-month currency jumps... (and yes, unfortunately I DO know people in the latter group.)

I doubt there is anyone who can adequately judge if 58 jumps is enough simply by reading a post on dz.com. Decisions surrounding whether someone is safe to jump need to be made by qualified people who have direct contact with that person. Just because someone posts their $.02 on here doesn't mean it should be taken as gospel (myself included).

I put a lot of stock in your ideas regarding "mental currency"- People that study/ think about skydiving all the time. It can make a huge difference. But 58 jumps in 2 years? Naw. That just aint much. Especially if they don't have many jumps to begin with.

IMHO 100-200 jumps a year is a healthy goal for a new skydiver. You can make some serious headway with a 200 jump year. I understand that 200 might be hard to get at a smaller DZ or a DZ that has a long winter... (not to mention finances) but do what you can.

1-2 hours of COACHED tunnel time/ yr is a healthy goal as well.

My average has been ~300/ yr. I consider 500/ year a lot, and know a few that do around 800-1000. Instructors and team flyers mostly. I know one team that has already logged 18 hours in the tunnel just this season. Must be nice.

Does that help at all?

1-2 hours of COACHED tunnel time/ yr is a healthy goal as well.

Would be nice if we HAD any tunnels here to use >:(.

Just my circumstances re family etc - and it is harder at a small DZ - I can probably do 50 -60 jumps a year... Which is still way over the BSRs, but way less than what you recommend [:/]. But thanks for the pointers.

>On a related question, what would the experienced guys here
>themselves recommend in terms of minimum jumps per month for
>say students/novices/A licenses?

There's no one number. It's like asking "how much money should I make?" My first two years of jumping I was making maybe 2 jumps a month. Some years I made 500 a year. Someone here was recommending 2 hours of coaching in a wind tunnel a year. I could come up with something - 400 jumps a year, a minimum of 4 hours in a wind tunnel - but then someone from Alberta would say "we don't have a wind tunnel and we can't jump half the year!"

The bottom line is more jumping is good for currency. If you jump a lot you will be more current. If you go below the USPA minimums you have to do the retraining stuff, which helps you remember things like emergency procedures but doesn't really help you be more competent in freefall.

I would like a bit of clarification if possible on some of the comments on currency in some threads in incidents.
For example, in one thread one someone stated that "58 jumps in two years is not a lot". I can see the point, and I realise there could be issues wih the timing, BUT this was well over minimum BSRs? I

Currency varies along multiple dimensions with the implications dependant on what you're doing.

If you meet the BSR minimums to avoid a recurrency jump you probably won't kill some one else on a relative jump, probably won't forget to pull, and will probably have injury free stand-up landings under larger parachutes. You probably won't perform well on relative jumps, probably won't learn anything new, probably won't land as close to your target, and wil probably have issues landing smaller parachutes - perhaps being less graceful, perhaps not landing standing up, or perhaps breaking something.

I think you need to make at least 3 jumps at a time to learn anything.

I think 10 jumps a month is getting marginal for faster parachutes. Without a few hundred jumps a year I wouldn' jump beyond ~1.7 pounds/square foot at 5000 feet MSL or closer to 2.0 at sea level and suspect ~150 jumps a year are getting somewhat marginal at those loadings.

Yeah. What Billvon said.

Hey, if 50-60 is what you can do, then 50-60 it is. Ya don't have to be a top drawer competive skydiver to have fun in the air.

Not to mention the social aspects of the sport. Hangin out with friends at the dz and such. It doesn't take any jumps per year to enjoy that! :-)

IMO 58 jumps in one year is NOT current no matter what the bsr states. when i refer to being current im not talking about min jumps to stay liscensed. current to me is the feeling of confidence, strengh and control that comes from jumping alot in close succession. during the jumping season i feel at my best doing 15-25 jumps a week, around 400 a year. (we have a short season in the n.w.) im my opinion doing less than 250 jumps per year isnt staying very current.if your only doing 50 jumps a year your not getting all there is from this awsome sport. many people never get to feel the confidence that comes from jumping alot unfortunatly. but when you do it will all make sense, and the word current takes on a whole new meaning besides the uspa definition of the word.
>

58 jumps in two years is not alot. Nor is 1000 in 28 years. The main thing the BSR's are trying to say is, to maintain currency, is to remain "familiar" with the equipment, EP's, canopy control and so on. These are (and should be considered) bare minimums, not a goal. To become proficient as a Skydiver, there is only one proven method...Jump. Jump a lot.

As someone already mentioned, the most improvement will be gained by making a number of jumps back to back...it's tough to make one jump a month, "back to back"....

Seems the trend for students is at least once or twice a month to stay current.If I go 2 months with out a jump it's no big deal because I put my work(packing)before my fun.Just about the time I start to want to choke people is the time for me to get out of the airplane.Currency can be described to be the most important when your first starting out in the sport.800+(first 3 yrs)was pretty current way back when.Today it seems the most experienced jumpers don't feel they have had a good year unless they make 250-350 jumps.Humm,is that really that important?Maybe the currency for D-license holders needs to go up?rob.

I feel un-current if I go more than 4 days w/ out jumping!

Presume your DZ is not only open at weekends :S

Guys - thanks for the input. Bottom line is to get to the DZ and jump as often as possible. I'm never gonna be practically able to do 15-25 jumps a week ... then again i have no ambition to be a skygod but i do wanna be safe and have fun in the air.