kallend

Any news of the California state record?

They are going to the full 160 people tomorrow.

would that make the 2005 JFTC 151 way the current state record?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Per Dan, they put a few practice loads up and things looked good but they could not jump today. They are going to the full 160 people tomorrow.

Any news today?

Or today?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Updates from the CSR:

We've been busy all day working on setting the record. Amy and I are on the bench (we just got here today) - there are 162 on the record itself, and 10 other people with us on the bench.

A few pictures of our progress today:

>How's the forecast for Sunday?

3000 ft broken, 6000 ft broken. Best chance seems to be tomorrow at 10am. It gets worse after that.

Good luck!

I was disappointed that I couldn't come on account of work(!), but it seems that I mostly missed a lot of skywatching.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You are not missing much jumping, Kallend. We are hoping that tomorrow is much better. This is what's been happening:

Day 1 - Meet at 8 am, ready to jump. We did not get to jump at all, but we had lots of dirtdiving. During the morning dirtdive in the landing area, my whacker section was working on it for a while and even kept going in the rain. All groups also practiced their exits and line-up in the plane with full gear. We dirtdove the whole thing with full gear, and we basically waited to get more instructions. We were released at around 4pm.

Day 2 - 8 am call, again. The LOs decided to section the groups into whacker sections, which was the plan before beginning to attempt the 162-ways. However, due to the bad weather, we were not going to get enough altitude for those. Therefore, the LOs decided to break the whackers into smaller sections of 20-way formation loads, instead. We had a lead and trail plane. We had two passes - one for each formation. Our exits were completely different, than what they will be on the 160-way. The goal is to see the picture of what each whacker line-up will look like prior to attempting the real thing to adjust any issues, which may arise.

I was switched back and forth from plane to plane about three times. Ultimately, I was last diver on the trail plane and flying over to meet up with the rest of my section of the whacker. For the 162-way, I will be rear float on Plane H (rear, rear, rear plane on right side).

When it was time to jump the sectioned groups, the base jumped first and had full altitude. The first whacker to go had less altitude, and the next had less. There was a weather hold prior to my whacker going. We waited for quite a while. Finally, my whacker (both sections of 20) had a go. Ultimately, by the end of the day, my whacker had 2 jumps from around 8500. The base had a final of three jumps.

Throughout the day, we alternated between dirtdiving the 162-way and 20-ways. We went through exit frames, stadium and radial work for all. We were feeling good about, hopefully, jumping the 162-way the next day.

Day 3 - Meet at 7:45 am.
Sadly, no jumps were done on Friday. There was more dirtdiving (full gear), door jamming, etc. Lots of break and down time...and really bad weather...rain. It's never a good sign, when we see the organizers playing poker.

It finally turned into stupid human tricks towards the end of the afternoon. Please post photos, if anyone out there has them. Those games looked hilarious!

Once we were released, officially, in the late afternoon, I went back to my hotel to take care of a cough that has been threatening to turn back into the flu. Some of the crew went bowling with full gear, and I hear that there are pictures floating around. Actually, I've seen them, and maybe someone will post the hilarity for all to see!

Day 4 - We met at 7:45 am, again, and we dirtdove in full gear on the landing area/field. We were on quite a long weather hold, again. There were some fun jumpers, which manifest kept referring to as "crazy people", but it looked bleak.

We finally jumped at around 3 pmish. We had one jump to altitude, and we worked on the sectioned off whacker 20-ways, again. We had the dinner banquet, which was nice.

Day 5 - PLEASE pray for good weather for us, everyone. We want to at least get the chance to try the 162-ways at least a couple of times. That's all that we'll probably need. We are so hungry for these jumps right now!

Made two attempts so far (three passes total.) We have still not managed to make a single jump. On our first attempt we got a hole that was about 75% of the size we needed; the dive would have had clear air but at least one sector would have been tracking into clouds. We made one pass, then had to land.

Second attempt we made two passes, but the weather was getting a little worse. There were some bigger clouds heading towards the DZ. Turned out to be a good call - by the time the planes landed the DZ was under a very large gray cloud. We would have gotten wet at least.

Last chance will be 4pm (1 hour from now.) At that point we'll have just enough time to get everyone together, load the planes, climb to 18,000 AGL and jump.

Planes are in the air at this time 3:55 and sky looks good. Keep your fingers crossed that they can get it in one jump!

That will be one hell of an achievement. I think they will owe a lot of beer.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The CA State Record was not broken, but all was not lost. We learned quite a bit from the experience. Beginning with the dirtdives...seriously, they are irreplaceable. We also learned how to keep out spirits up and fatigue (esp. mental) down, during stressful times. Those rides up to 18,000 using oxygen and being told to abort, after waiting in the door in -9 degrees (first attempt) and worse weather were very difficult. I had the pleasure of being rear float, so I was literally chilled to the bone, while looking out the door for so long.

Although it was disappointing that we couldn't jump the 162-way more than once, we loved being with our coaches and getting the best guidance possible from them. Despite it all, I'm realizing that I'm still glad to have had the experience.

Next, comes the JFTC ladies, and they will surely get it done. Plus, it is such a beautiful event for such a good cause. Go pink ladies!