spindlee

Wearing two Alti's

Just wondering if you can wear 2 alti's (digital and analogue type) on the same hand or if it's safe to wear one on each.
Reason being I'd like a digital for being under canopy but would much prefer an analogue type for freefall.

Simon
If in doubt, whip it out...

For competition I wear two Neptunes on my left hand. Then again, I have large hands.:P

My first question to you is why do you not like the digital altimeter in freefall? Do you have problems reading it? Maybe this has to do more with comfort and overall awareness in freefall? Remember, you will be experiencing a narrowing of your vision so you'll need to remember to breath and check your surroundings.

There are other options available. Perhaps you could get a mudflap mount for your digital altimeter to read under canopy?

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I wear a Neptune on my wrist and an analog on my mudflap. The mudflap mount is great for wingsuiting and freefly because it is easier to see during the jump since you don't have to adjust your hand position to read the alti. I rely on the digital for RW and canopy flight since my wrist is already out in front of me where I'm looking. I wear both on all jumps so as to have a backup if one goes wonky.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Hi, to answer your first question..
I just prefer having my analogue type because It's just what i'm used to and i like having an easy dial to see. I would however like to have a digital for being under canopy so i can get more precise heights etc also i'm a gadget freak:P.
I've seen a few pics of people wearing them on their wrist and just wearing the analogue in he normal postion. There's also a guy i know who has one near the ring cover (sitflyer) which could be another option..

If in doubt, whip it out...

i fear that the digital has more chance of failing

Analogs fail as well. Pretty easily actually. Its honestly a toss up as to failure rate for my experience.

Remember, the best altimeter you have is your eyes. Start working on building up that skill for looking and having an idea of where you are for altitude.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Very true Dave and a good thing for a newer jumper to be aware of. Simon, on my 35'th or so jump the face of my analog altimeter moved counter clockwise about 90 degrees.....when I was at 2,500 feet it looked like 5,500 (I guess that is about 760 and 1,600 meters) and it was my second jump without an AAD (back in '91 right before Cypres was on the market). The ground looked big so I pulled.....when I got down I was horrified to look at my altimeter and see 3,000 feet on it. Never completely trust any device......trust your instincts!

I wear a Neptune on my wrist and an analog on my mudflap. The mudflap mount is great for wingsuiting and freefly because it is easier to see during the jump since you don't have to adjust your hand position to read the alti. I rely on the digital for RW and canopy flight since my wrist is already out in front of me where I'm looking. I wear both on all jumps so as to have a backup if one goes wonky.

where exactly is your mudflap? Have you got a pic with your wearing the alti?
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Also i would prefer both as i fear that the digital has more chance of failing [:/] and would have a back up.

I've seen more analogs fail than digitals. For the most part I think the failure mode on a digital should be a blank screen so you can revert to the 2 alti's in your head. I had an analog fail on me. Stuck at 5,000. Was still at 5000 when I landed...

-Michael

I generally will wear two altimeters, an analog one on my left and a digital suunto vector on my right. The main reason I wear two is primarily just incase someone on the plane forgets one or has a digital on die. I lone one out about dozen times a season.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

I do RW and like the others - wear two.
One on my wrist for me and one upside down on my chest strap for everyone else.
I can use the one on my chest strap also - cause red means red whether it's upside down or right side up.
Finally, well tuned calibrated eyeballs and internal clock helps too.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Just wondering if you can wear 2 alti's (digital and analogue type) on the same hand or if it's safe to wear one on each.
Reason being I'd like a digital for being under canopy but would much prefer an analogue type for freefall.

Simon

Have you considered an audible as a 2nd alti? Personally I wear a digital on my hand and have an audible.

I find I use the audible more for being under canopy than the digital. It will beep at preset altitudes (ex. 1000ft - 600ft - 300ft) Think of those numbers as what ever you use to setup your landing pattern.. (downwind, base, final) Obviously use your eyes more than relying on hardware but just listening for a beep could help you spend more time scanning for traffic .. etc..

Dude, I know you said "Obviously use your eyes more than relying on hardware" but still worth saying that you should NEVER just listen for a beep before you decide to do something.

Device dependency is stuupid.
I got nuthin

2 audibles and Altitrack at the same time (Altitrack works like a digial, but displays like an analog, so there is no "wagging" of the needle. Flip on your back and put your alti in the burble and see what happens...)

I have multiple altimeter-less jumps... one completely by accident. Got carried away with switching helmets, camera gear, etc.... distracted myself, rushed myself, forgot to switch over my audibles and ran to the plan without my wrist-mount. I think if planned out properly it's an advantageous thing to do from time to time, helps dial in that vision... otherwise it was a nice lesson in complacency.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

I generally will wear two altimeters, an analog one on my left and a digital suunto vector on my right. The main reason I wear two is primarily just incase someone on the plane forgets one or has a digital on die. I lone one out about dozen times a season.

I do the same except dig. is on left and analog on right. Great to be able to see one no matter which side you look at. I have also had my digital go blank before. And had several other jumpers borrow one before.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

My instructors always taught me, and I always teach my students to not wear an altimeter on your right hand. The less that can interfer with your deployment sequence, the better. In the event of a bad PC throw, an altimeter could make a less than ideal situation very bad.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but any imput from other instructors?