chalko

So what happens after AFF course HELP!

hi guys im going to be doing my AFF course this year, i understand that you can do the course in one week and then you do 10 jumps after to qualify for your license. now once you have your license where do you go from there? can it run out? how often do you need to jump to keep it up to date? what other courses will become available? and what is the average price that you pay for a jump once you have your license? cheers for taking the time to reply will be a real help olie

Once you're hooked, you need to jump as often as you can possibly afford:P.

If I remember correctly, if you're student or 'A' license, you have to jump every 30 days in order to be able to jump without doing a re-currency jump with a coach/instructor.

Are you asking because you're worried that you'll have to go long intervals without jumping?

I got nuthin

Once you're hooked, you need to jump as often as you can possibly afford:P.

If I remember correctly, if you're student or 'A' license, you have to jump every 30 days in order to be able to jump without doing a re-currency jump with a coach/instructor.

Are you asking because you're worried that you'll have to go long intervals without jumping?

That is incorrect. Those under Student status have to jump within 30 days to remain current. A License holders have 60 days for currency.
At least under USPA rules.

After you clear student status, you are able to self-jumpmaster your self. You will do some coach jumps and prepare for your A license. With an A license you need to jump every 60 days to stay current. During this time you will meet lots of new people and start working on flying with others. This will lead to an increase in social contacts and drinking. You will also need to buy your own gear. This is a sizeable expense that will strain relationships with spouse, friends, and family.

Soon you will have your B license. At this point you only need to jump every 90 days. However, you will discover that you miss your new DZ friends and the camaraderie (drinking) so you'll still jump as often as you can.

By the time you have your C license, you will only have occasional contact with your "old" friends. They just got tired of hearing your jumping stories. Family relations will also be strained with claims of "you're wasting your life" and "you're not paying me attention" being common.

The D license will be the pinacle of you skydiving career. You can now do anything. D also stands for drinking, debt, dysfunction, and divorce.

Welcome to the sport !
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

I stand corrected (I'm sitting, but you get the idea)

No worries. I think we've veered off-topic anyway.

Chalko - any student progression course to get a USPA A license requires 25 jumps at the minimum. There is a skillset you must learn and demonstrate in terms of proper exit, landing accuracy, equipment knowledge, and air maneuvering. All of these things can be found on the proficiency card off the USPA website.

As to after AFF....you make the decision to continue and start jumping with other people.

Chalko where are you from? As jsreznor said if you are to become a member of USPA you have to do 25 jumps at minimum but with BPA its only 18.

If you are from the UK then you will be going with BPA and after you get A licence the next step everyone seems to take is to get FS1 which allows you to jump with other people.

hi guys thanks a lot for all the info so far!! im from the uk so guess ill be doing it with BPA. As after i do the AFF course i would want to look into doing the FS1 so that i could dive with other people. i'm from the west midlands, does anyone know of any places that i could go to, to do these courses? thanks

After you clear student status, you are able to self-jumpmaster your self. You will do some coach jumps and prepare for your A license. With an A license you need to jump every 60 days to stay current. During this time you will meet lots of new people and start working on flying with others. This will lead to an increase in social contacts and drinking. You will also need to buy your own gear. This is a sizeable expense that will strain relationships with spouse, friends, and family.

Soon you will have your B license. At this point you only need to jump every 90 days. However, you will discover that you miss your new DZ friends and the camaraderie (drinking) so you'll still jump as often as you can.

By the time you have your C license, you will only have occasional contact with your "old" friends. They just got tired of hearing your jumping stories. Family relations will also be strained with claims of "you're wasting your life" and "you're not paying me attention" being common.

The D license will be the pinacle of you skydiving career. You can now do anything. D also stands for drinking, debt, dysfunction, and divorce.

Welcome to the sport !

This is one of the best posts I have ever read! :D

But at the same time it's also one of the most depressing [:/]

Welcome to the sport !

This is one of the best posts I have ever read! :D

i was gonna say the exact same thing.. :D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Tilstock (Whitchurch) is going to be the nearest to me as im from stourbridge near wolverhampton.
how much would my set up be after i have completed the course? and where would be the best place to purcase this? is looking at second hand equiptment worth a go? is there an equiptment list anywhewre on the net so that i know what i would need? cheers olie

sorry about all the question!! but i'm really tempted at doing this!!!

It's great that you're getting excited about jumping but don't get too carried away and buying too much kit yet.... The DZ will supply the appropriate gear for you to learn on and you wont want to be owing and jumping beginner kit.... put your hard-earned into the bank or under the bed for now....

Ask loads of questions and listen to all the folks at Tilstock, they'll put you right.

Enjoy

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Welcome to the sport !

Yep! Basic cause is Skydiving A.I.D.S. --- Airport Induced Divorce Syndrome.
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

Tilstock (Whitchurch) is going to be the nearest to me as im from stourbridge near wolverhampton.
how much would my set up be after i have completed the course? and where would be the best place to purcase this? is looking at second hand equiptment worth a go? is there an equiptment list anywhewre on the net so that i know what i would need? cheers olie

sorry about all the question!! but i'm really tempted at doing this!!!

Just my $.02.

How much? A lot.:)
You'll need all the equipment you currently use:
Goggles, helmet, altimiter (maybe an audible too), jumpsuit, and the rig.
You may or may not want to get some of that stuff while still a student. My furst purchase was a helmet so that I wouldn't have to use the ones off the student shelf. Ask your instructors what they recommend.

You can get everything but the rig one piece at a time (I'd recommend new) from any of the gear stores. Here in the US, they are online - Paragear and Square1 are the 2 biggest AFAIK, I don't know what's over in the UK.
Ask around at your DZ to see what everyone likes. Most of it is personal preference.

I'd hold off on a rig for a while. There's nothing wrong with a used rig as long as it passes inspection by a qualified rigger.
Again, see what people (at your expeience level)around you are using.
What I ended up doing was buying a rig from someone at my DZ who was getting out of the sport. With a little luck, someone will be upgrading or downsizing and you'll be able to get their old gear for a reasonable price.

As always, ask your instructors what you should be using. At this point you don't have the knowledge to pick something out of the classifieds.
But they're fun to look at and get some ideas of what you might want to end up with eventually.;)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo