regulator

Jeb Corliss

I remember hearing a while back...around a year or two ago that Jeb Corliss and Luigi were going to attempt a wingsuit jump without a rig on and land 'safely' and possibly repeat. Do any of you know if he's any further in his testing...or did they decide to scrub the mission?

Dude...this thread is old, the story is posted elsewhere...sighhhhh....really? Just to let you know, some people hate talking about this, as they just think it is not going to happen, its super expensive, and some people have just beat this thing into the ground. Google it, or just search the "forums" in that little search bar on the top right hand corner of the page. Take care man.

This was already done by someone from a helicopter. Of course it was only from an altitude of about 1100 ft MSL...........................or 4 ft AGL.;)

Bloodied the guys nose on the tarmac, I think:P

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I remember hearing a while back...around a year or two ago that Jeb Corliss and Luigi were going to attempt a wingsuit jump without a rig on and land 'safely' and possibly repeat. Do any of you know if he's any further in his testing...or did they decide to scrub the mission?

Its still a pipedream at the moment.
he is about $15 million short of the sponsorship target he needs iirc. The main cost is building the huge ramp that he would need to match his glidepath and make the landing potentially surviveable.

It 'may' be possible that he can pull this off, but then again, it may not....

If you search youtube there is an interview with him about it somewhere. Very early stages although he does have some respected names and companies onboard with the project.

Thats a massive amount of money to accumulate for a project like this. I mean this is kinda like...well you guys give me 15 million dollars and I'll show that I can do it. Then they would want something in return for the dough they just plopped down. That seems very insurmountable and I'll be suprised (since you informed me of the variables involved) that if he ever gets this done in either of our lifetimes. I wish him luck though!

he is about $15 million short of the sponsorship target he needs iirc. The main cost is building the huge ramp that he would need to match his glidepath and make the landing potentially surviveable.

If you search youtube there is an interview with him about it somewhere. Very early stages although he does have some respected names and companies onboard with the project.

Why not just make a deal with one of the indoor down-hill skiing ramps around the world (I think Japan and Dubai have one each). They could remove a small portion of the roof above the top of the ramp. All the jumper has to do is not miss it.

:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Just doesn't seem smart...

Doesn't really seem to me to be meeting the objective by landing on a multi-million dollar ramp that by it's very design is created to avoid the need to perform a landing as we currently define landing.

If being caught by a ramp designed to match glide path is considered landing it; then why not just land in a giant pit filled with the foam used in emergency landings of aircraft?

That would be as much of a landing as using a ramp. If they can't land it on relatively flat tera firma, I don't think it counts. Sure, they will have accomplished a truly stunning stunt, but not what I would call a landing; more of a catch by the ramp. Just my opinion.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Maybe they should take a page from the truck-top landing routine some stunt pilots do, and drive a truck up the runway for him to land on.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

(Not arguing with humanflite here, just using his post as the jump off point.)
I, for one, will not be greatly impressed if the feat of landing a wingsuit is accomplished by building a ramp to match his glideslope.

There were cases in WWII where people survived expulsions from aircraft with no parachute at all when they landed on a snow covered mountainside.

Given a properly constructed ramp, we can land without the wingsuit, so what's the point?

When I think of "landing a wingsuit", I think of landing in a place where we would land a parachute or an airplane.

Otherwise we are just comparing apples to oranges.

I totally agree. And I'm sure quite a few people also agree with this and therefore why it is probably impossible to raise the money to preform the stunt.

If you can't produce enough lift to land on flat terrain or slightly downhill, whats the point? You're not really landing the wingsuit.

I always wondered why you wouldn't just find a mountain slope that had a reasonable drop. Try to learn to fly the wingsuit to match that slope. Then wait for winter (snow cover) attach on some skis to your belly and land. That at least would impress me a little bit. And I'm sure it would cost significantly less money. And of course more dangerous as your screaming down the hill head first until you slow down.

$5 mil can do a lot more marketing than paying for a single stunt. This is more about Jeb wanting to try it than anything that could be useful.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher