recovercrachead

Need help on Home depot Demo!!

I'm a D license jumper with almost 900 jumps and been in the the sport for 15 years.
I have close to about 75 demo jumps...
1 Belmont NY race track in 98 (80 thousand people,ESPN)
20 Lake George jumps
15 Harley Rondezvous
15 Concert jumps
25 at least backyard parties
I have a cypress!

I have my FAA waiver! I'm legally good to go.

I called USPA for information about promoting our sport. I wanted USPA to forward me information on safety, demonstration jumps, training, etc. in hopes of educating non-skydivers about our sport. They were not helpful and offered me nothing. The person I spoke with was not even in the sport. (Let me save that for another post thread.)
I have FAA approval to jump into Family Day at Home Depot, where I work. What kind of information should I have available for people?

So far I thought of...
1. Building a skydiving resume of myself
2. Requirements for a D license/experience skydiver
3. What an ADD cypress is

This is not just for my glory but giving back and making people feel good about during shit times.

On this day, which is also our kids workshop, I have organized...

1. Local bike police to promote bike safety
2. Finger printing
3. Smoke house (fire safety)
4. Ambulance
5. Pink panther, Behr Bear, Homer from Home depot Characters.

So I need more ideas on how to sell myself and our sport of skydiving to Home depot VPS which are people who think I'm going to jump out of a perfectly good airplane and go splat into the parking lot. Please help me help us.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

USPA use to have promotional brochures to hand out at such events, I wonder if that too has gone away.

What I usually do at demos is contact the local DZ and ask if they might be interested in either sending out a couple of representatives (instant ground crew) or some informational handouts to possibly sign up some new recruits.

Good luck~ Stay safe!

Edited to add: if you're going into the crowded parking lot of a large corporation, you may want to consider demo insurance, or at least offer it to the event organizer.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

So far I thought of...

I sure hope my Cypres never suffers from ADD! Especially not below 1,000'! :P
'To fly is heaven, to freefall is divine'

'You only need 2 tools. WD40 for when it doesn't move but should, and duct tape for when it moves but shouldn't'

So I need more ideas on how to sell myself and our sport of skydiving to Home depot VPS which are people who think I'm going to jump out of a perfectly good airplane and go splat into the parking lot. Please help me help us.

WHY???
Other than the obvious, of course.

i applaud you on your enthusiasm and recognition for safety...
...sooo you have an FFA waiver...:|
but do not YET have the OK from the "powers that be", right within the Home Depot organization, Itself???[:/]......

You very well may have the know how to accomplish the jump, and a suitable canopy for such things...

so when you meet with the decision makers,, bring along your logbooks... locate pages in there,, WITH the evidence of such demo jumps..
Point out the seriousness with which most skydivers would approach such a 'show'. and re-assure them that their Customer base would likely ENJOY such a treat....:)So instead of hanging your head and saying, " Ok I'll LOOK INTO IT " B|:S>:( ... you can whip out that bad boy certificate and hand it right over to them...
:o:);)

Bring with you,, the hand held radio, with which you intend to communicate with your ground crew.. TELL them that there IS a ground crew... Mention that the "pilot is always in contact with the local FAA Tower...'
Emphasize the pre planning and "behind the scenes" efforts which always should accompany a safe demo jump...

get them to focus less on... " this is a stunt". :S and more on "this is a crowd pleaser"..:|
and IF granted permission,
THEN pull it off safely.....
:|

NOT sure if I'd wanna target for a Parking Lot,,,, ( road rash ) but can't imagine where alse around a shopping center,, you might land...:S...

Could be a good thing...and might entertain some people
BUT.. if you're thinking of doing it, simply because you happen to work there,, not sure if i like that...
Are you planning to invite Other jumpers??..
i sometimes get nervous when i hear about "one man " demos.... Are you Pro Rated..???

good luck. stay safe...
(wear Kneepads,, Under your jumpsuit);)B|
keep us posted...

jmy
POPS 3935
4 stack 930

I called USPA for information about promoting our sport. I wanted USPA to forward me information on safety, demonstration jumps, training, etc. in hopes of educating non-skydivers about our sport. They were not helpful and offered me nothing.

I find this *very* difficult to believe, having spoken with many folks at USPA about a number of different topics, and was always handed off to someone who knows what's up regardless of the question. Not everyone at USPA is a skydiver (thank god). The majority of those that work at PD aren't skydivers either. I take comfort in knowing that when I look above my head.

It's wonderful you want to promote the sport; that's terrific. This article from Brian Germain may help you with ideas.

Get someone to help you with your presentation. If you speak like you've written here, you won't come across as the PRO rated skydiver that a corporate executive probably relates with. Grammar matters a lot to most execs.
Rather than telling the world you have a CYPRES (they probably don't care, and you don't want to be presenting it as anything but a screwdriver in a toolbox anyway), consider presenting the thrill of human flight, the excitement, the fun, the social climate. Explain that it's not a safe activity, but that the risks are significantly mitigated. I'm sure more people lose fingers to powersaws sold by Home Depot than skydivers who go "splat."
Maybe work with the local DZ to get coupons for a tandem, perhaps even have a drawing for a tandem or half-off a tandem.
Explain to the execs that hundreds of thousands of successful jumps happen each year. I don't know the last fatal incident involving a PRO demo in the US, but we're pretty safe.
Have a written, well-described action statement complete with photos, landing patterns, etc.
And still be prepared to be told "no." :|

Sounds like you have the experience to do it well. Do you have a nice, big canopy for the asphalt landing? I've done a couple of demos onto black top, always with a wingloading to insure a slow, easy stand up.

Oh yeah, remember, just because the store is having a "Grand Opening" does not mean you should too.:P

So far I thought of...

The OP edited his original post from "I have a Cypress" to "What an ADD cypress is"...

Not for nuthion' ...but I don't have a AAD, because I do a lotta demos.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Why?

Because if I was applying to a job or auditioning (which is pretty similar to appeasing the powers that be on a demo jump), I would not want my email address shown as recovercrachead _at_ dropzone.com. I applaud recovery, but I think its best to avoid showcasing it in that manner. Better to stick to [email protected]

Also, pulling high is generally safer than pulling low and I think even most whuffos could reasonably come to that conclusion. Better to show that you are using best safety practices and that you do not have a cavalier attitude towards safety.

If possible, have a short DVD video of a past demo that you did so the powers that be can see what it looks like. I have done this a few times and always got positive reactions from them. Dress well for the meeting. Be professional.

I would rather land on grass than an asphalt lot, but hey, it's Home Depot. I think you could get the store to donate a strip of green carpeting and pad underlayer for your target landing spot. Don't miss it!:D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My name could be "Pussfilledvagina" but it doesnt make it true. Talk about focusing on the little things, good job helping him out though.

Well, yeah, but his point was that if somebody wanted to check you out online, their first impression may not be what you hoped for. I've heard of people getting fired or being rejected for a job because of stuff on their Facebook or Myspace accounts. I'm sure the OP would have a separate email address or just a phone number to be reached at if he didn't want them to see his DZ.com personals.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Im sure he does, who uses their dropzone email for anything? Not when you can get free email with 100x more storage space. I just dont think him pointing out the little details was cool.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

So far I thought of...

The OP edited his original post from "I have a Cypress" to "What an ADD cypress is"...

Given that most Cypres fires come from people suffering from Attention Deficit Disorder that leads them to be too caught up in what they're doing to pull at a safe altitude 'ADD' is a better acronym than 'AAD' just like 'AAD' is more descriptive than 'AOD'.

So far I thought of...

Given that most Cypres fires come from people suffering from Attention Deficit Disorder that leads them to be too caught up in what they're doing to pull at a safe altitude 'ADD' is a better acronym than 'AAD' just like 'AAD' is more descriptive than 'AOD'.

coincidently, i DO suffer ADD, but still havent had my cypres fire for me. instead of bashing medical related issues, maybe post something positive!?

oh, yea, i do have TWO audibles tough.. :):P:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

So far I thought of...

I wanna believe you are being facetious but the stuff you threw in at the end leads me to believe you were serious. Do you have a reliable source you can cite that proves most AAD fires are caused by people with ADD not paying attention?

>Do you have a reliable source you can cite that proves most AAD fires
>are caused by people with ADD not paying attention?

Take a look at the Cypres saves page. Most people were indeed saved after they did not pay sufficient attention to their altitude - which is surely a deficit of attention by any measure.

>Do you have a reliable source you can cite that proves most AAD fires
>are caused by people with ADD not paying attention?

Take a look at the Cypres saves page. Most people were indeed saved after they did not pay sufficient attention to their altitude - which is surely a deficit of attention by any measure.

Just because they are temporarily suffering from an attention deficit does not make it a disorder. :S
That's like saying I missed breakfast this morning and therefore I have an eating disorder.

If he's going to make a claim like that I would like to see something about saves and the number of those people diagnosed with ADD. I highly doubt any such study or information exists.

>That's like saying I missed breakfast this morning and therefore
>I have an eating disorder.

If your missing breakfast could result in your untimely death - then missing breakfast could indeed be called an eating disorder!

>If he's going to make a claim like that I would like to see something
>about saves and the number of those people diagnosed with ADD.

I don't think he meant that people who are saved by AAD's have a clinical diagnosis of ADD.

>If he's going to make a claim like that I would like to see something
>about saves and the number of those people diagnosed with ADD.

I don't think he meant that people who are saved by AAD's have a clinical diagnosis of ADD.

Then the proper phrasing would be the way in which you phrased it in your previous post. They were suffering from an attention deficit but not necessarily attention deficit disorder.

I highly doubt any such study or information exists.

And by posting that statement you are guilty of doing the same thing you are slamming him for. It’s like calling someone a moron. Very few people are truly morons but quite a few often act as though they are. Save you bitching for something worth bitching about.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Please fellow jumpers lets get back on track. Yes I have poor grammar. Yes it it a AAD. Sorry for my shortcomings.

My screen name is a skydiving nickname for cracking my head open 10 years ago. Thats why I'm not a crackhead because it healed. I'm a recovered crackhead. HA HA funny!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its a joke people you are skydivers right?

For help on my local Dz, your looking at him We had the guy who jumped out of the plane this summer without shute because he wanted to kill himself.Please dont start talking about that in this post too. Lets keep it on tracking on how all of you can help me help us.

Yes my store Manager wants the jump. He needs to sell it to his vp of the region. I need to get as much info in his hand to sell him on this jump. Last, the Uspa was a waste of a phone call. NEED HELP PLEASE?
THANK YOU FOR THE JUMPERS WHO ARE GIVING POSITIVE INFO.
BLUE SKYIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Track high, Pull LOW!!!