aaron1029

new to skydiving

You can start looking at gear as soon as you want, but Buying I would wait on till you know what you want in the sport.

You can find very nice used gear for a fraction of the cost of new and could get the gear around the 50 jump range, learn from it and then progress into the direction that draws you through the sport.

Here we will tell you all our opininos about Gear in Disciplines in the sport, and we are all right, just ask us we will tel you we are right. But a reputable instructor at your DZ is probably a better place to start when it comes to begining your skydiving career.

Welcome and have fun!
Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Don't worry about that now...
Helmet and altimeter after your A license, rig after minimum 100 jumps, 150 being even better...

Good jumps and have fun!

You would have someone pay $1800-$2700 to rent gear that they will likely never own? That doesnt make very much sense. Hell, you can pick up a decent used rig in that price range.
Muff #5048

Three things to buy now -

1. A pair of clear goggles.

2. A logbook.

3. (if you're in the US) A copy of the USPA Skydivers Information Manual. You can download it free from the USPA website too, but it's handy to have a hard copy.

Pretty much everything else can wait until you have a few more jumps in.

Definitely do not wait 150 jumps to buy gear. Everything else said above is what I did, then after 20 jumps when I was about to get my A license I sat down with an instructor and figured out size, 7/9 cell for main, brand etc... for all gear. Read a lot and be knowlegable about gear before you buy it. ie (you wouldn't want a stilleto 190 just because you have jumped a 190). I would buy used if I was you also, by the time you get half of the new crap your gonna order you could have already bought used and got good use out of it. The only thing I would argue to buy new is the container when that time comes, not all stuff fits you the way you want it. But a new container can last you 2-3 canopies if you get it sized right for you.
"I didn't know they gave out rings at the holocaust"

You would have someone pay $1800-$2700 to rent gear that they will likely never own? That doesnt make very much sense. Hell, you can pick up a decent used rig in that price range.

Good point. It depends on how fast you get into it and what it costs to rent a rig. Our noobs are considered students until they get their A license, so the first 25 jumps or so are expensive, but gear is included. Gear rental at our DZ is $10 a jump, really nice gear, BTW, I jump it sometimes too. That would cost another $750 to 100 jumps. If that takes you a couple of years, factor in $200+ you won't be paying for reserve repacks. Have a Cypress AAD? Factor in a couple of hundred more. Want to try different size and styles of canopy, or change around according to the winds that day? Our rental rack has all sizes.

However, if you're totally stoked and going to make 100+ jumps that year, look around for some good used stuff. Besides, Happiness is having Your Own Rig.B|

thanks for all the replies. im gonna start looking for used gear once i get my license

It dosent hurt to begil looking at ads and familiarize yourself with gear types and prices. If you are looking to buy gear at a certain time you will pay extra for it...it takes time to look for gear that will SUIT YOU and be at a FAIR PRICE. TALK to your instructors, but I would advise to start Familiarizing yourself with gear as soon as you are sure you will be a skydiver.
SKYDIVING = HAPPY

I purchased my own rig around 30 jumps or so. I jumped a few other peoples rigs and discovered how real parachutes open instead of the thwack kick in the pants openings of the student gear. However, I am a pilot and canopy control was very easy for me and I was told by a few instructors that I was fine jumping these different rigs. Every harness feels different, every canopy opens, flys, flairs, and feels different as well so ask a lot of questions about opening characteristics, how it handles, how it flairs, and things to watch out for.

I agree with matt cline 100 percent. Talk to people at DZ about gear decisions I would go farther and tell you not to listen to any critical advice on this site. Most people that post advice on here only do so because this is the only place anybody might actually take them serious or think they know what they are talking about. People that like to post seriously on forums are usually ego maniacs that think more of themselves than anyone else does.

light hearted banter= DZ.com
advice on noncritical skydiving info= DZ.com
critical advice that affects your chance of survival= NOT DZ.COM
i'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your packing tent down

light hearted banter= DZ.com
advice on noncritical skydiving info= DZ.com
critical advice that affects your chance of survival= NOT DZ.COM

Yeah, I agree. I've seen all kinds of advice given on here. Jeff will tell you that Ive asked some retarded questions out at the dz, but every bit of info helps you make decisions. Unless someone who watches you jump posts a reply, take it with a grain of salt, what works for one may not be what you need to do to stay safe.

I bought my gear after talking to everybody about it, the only thing that I dont have a warm fuzzy about is the color... and from what I hear Jeff and another person have decided on a great name for it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

well said. when you say it, it sounds so much less abrasive then the way i put it. But yea thats totally what i meant. And as far as your rig..........well atleast its a mirage, so it cant be too bad.

hurry back fucker
i'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your packing tent down

Hmmmm.... 12 jumps in 62 years, and a E license to boot. [:/]

And you are advising us noobs about the credibility of people who post on DZ.com?

At least, from what I've seen so far, people with somewhat more credibility than you tend to jump in to challenge bad advice given here. I don't think it takes a genius to figure out who to trust. My instructor obviously knows me best, and so I tend to trust his opinion most, but he's NOT infallible. And, I've heard FAR more crap from strangers at the DZ than I've ever read here; and no one was there to call bullshit!

Making a blanket statement urging people to ignore advice given here is, IMHO, bad advice.

Observant Noob