bbs3232

Am I Too Young To Jump??

I dont think you are ever too old to jump. If your doc says you are in decent shape I dont think you are ever too old.

But here is a video of a 5 YEAR OLD skydiving!!

http://broadbandsports.com/node/26616

I think this is pretty badass but how old should someone be before they can make the decision on whether it is worth the risks? This is obviously not in the US but should we let young kids go if their parents okay it?

This is obviously not in the US but should we let young kids go if their parents okay it?

Don't forget that kids also do dangerous stuff like play in traffic, put stuff up their noses, swim in the deep end etc... I guess they're either really brave...or just don't understand the risks of such activities.

I think this is pretty badass but how old should someone be before they can make the decision on whether it is worth the risks? This is obviously not in the US but should we let young kids go if their parents okay it?

When I jumped at SWOOP in Canada back in the 1980's there was a photo on the wall of a father taking his two year old daughter on what would now be called a tandem skydive. (The photo was at SWOOP; the jump itself took place elsewhere but I do not recall where). This was before tandem was a common method of jumping and in fact I wonder if such jumps with very young kids were the way that tandem jumping originally got started.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

When I jumped at SWOOP in Canada back in the 1980's there was a photo on the wall of a father taking his two year old daughter on what would now be called a tandem skydive. (The photo was at SWOOP; the jump itself took place elsewhere but I do not recall where). This was before tandem was a common method of jumping and in fact I wonder if such jumps with very young kids were the way that tandem jumping originally got started.

Here's a link:

Strong Enterprises--Tandem System

My first jump was in May, 1983 and the photo of the dad jumping with his 2 y.o. was definitely on the wall by then--so it must have been one of the experimental jumps referred to at the above link.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

my 9 year old daughter is so upset that she has to wait another 7-9 years. her brother has is B license and i'm just getting started. she really wants to go....
Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

take her on a holiday to new zealand she can do a tandem there.

that would be fun....
maybe the laws will change over here before then, but i'm not holding my breath.
Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

are there any records of a tandem jump without the second being harnessed? Like maybe one persons chute wouldnt open?? Would it be possible to hold on with the right grip?

No.

Ever seen a Mr. Bill? People can most certainly hold on through opening. In fact, one year at the freefall convention, someone landed a mr. bill with the other person still holding on. I believe this was in front of an FAA rep, and I don't think they were asked to come back after that stunt. :)

Cheers,
Travis

Object means any item other than a person that descends to the surface from an aircraft in flight when a parachute is used or is intended to be used during all or part of the descent.

Parachute drop means the descent of an object to the surface from an aircraft in flight when a parachute is used or intended to be used during all or part of that descent.

Parachute jump means a parachute operation that involves the descent of one or more persons to the surface from an aircraft in flight when a [sic] aircraft is used or intended to be used during all or part of that descent.

Parachute operation means the performance of all activity for the purpose of, or in support of, a parachute jump or a parachute drop. This parachute operation can involve, but is not limited to, the following persons: parachutist, parachutist in command and passenger in tandem parachute operations, drop zone or owner or operator, jump master, certificated parachute rigger, or pilot.

Parachutist means a person who intends to exit an aircraft while in flight using a single-harness, dual parachute system to descend to the surface.

Parachutist in command means the person responsible for the operation and safety of a tandem parachute operation.

Passenger parachutist means a person who boards an aircraft, acting as other than the parachutist in command of a tandem parachute operation, with the intent of exiting [sic] the aircraft while in-flight using the forward harness of a dual harness tandem parachute system to descend to the surface.

I fail to see a violation of an FAR for landing a Mr. Bill.

1. They both had single harness dual use tsoed rigs and both left the AC intending to use them. The fact that one would have on a rig shows intent to use it, other wise it would be a tandem jump.

2. They were not using tandem gear.

3. It could be said they endangered people and property on the surface, however it might be hard to win that with all those other parachutes in the air at the same time, after all you could cut away and still bounce in tent city and take out someone, the same as the Mr. bill rider could fall off @ 100 ft over tent city.

Sec. 105.43 Use of single-harness, dual-parachute systems

No person may conduct a parachute operation using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, unless that system has at least one main parachute, one approved reserve parachute, and one approved single person harness and container that are packed as follows:

(a) The main parachute must have been packed within 180 days before the date of its use by a certificated parachute rigger, the person making the next jump with that parachute, or a non-certificated person under the direct supervision of a certificated parachute rigger.

(b) The reserve parachute must have been packed by a certificated parachute rigger-

(1) Within 180 days before the date of its use, if its canopy, shroud, and harness are composed exclusively of nylon, rayon, or similar synthetic fiber or material that is substantially resistant to damage from mold, mildew, and other fungi, and other rotting agents propagated in a moist environment; or

(2) Within 60 days before the date of its use, if it is composed of any amount of silk, pongee, or other natural fiber, or material not specified in paragraph (b)(1) of this section.

(c) If installed, the automatic activation device must be maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions for that automatic activation device.

Now BSR's and stupidy, that's a whole other story.;)
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

That jump was done in Quebec in the early 1980s, before Ted Strong started experimenting with (two adult) tandem in 1983.

In Brazil it is common for kids to do tandems. I have several friends that are tandem masters and took their sons and daughters for a ride.

Even for AFF, the only requirement is that if you are under 21 years of age, you need consent from your parents or legal guardian.
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

The *Official* consent age for AFF is 15 years old. And for Tandem is 7 yrs old.
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

From a standpoint of policy - i.e., "legalities" aside - there's an age below which I personally - as someone who's raised 2 kids of my own - think a kid does not yet have enough ability to adequately and realistically appreciate the risk of death or maiming existing in skydiving to make an informed decision on whether or not to participate in a skydive, even a tandem jump. Obviously, this will vary from one kid to the next - 15 may be old enough for some, while 17 may not be old enough for others - but I sure as hell think that someone who's not even a teenager yet - even the proverbial "DZO's kid" - is developmentally too young to make this decision.

Ever seen a Mr. Bill? People can most certainly hold on through opening.

Ever seen one deployed at terminal? I've not heard of anyone holding on at terminal. Most that I've heard of are deployed within a few seconds of exit.

I didn't think of the infamous Mr Bill landing at WFFC a few years back. I guess that could fulfill the requirements of the first sentence.

In the case where it was unplanned and someone had a double mal, it's unlikely that someone could get to them in time or hold on to them during a terminal deployment.

Actually you're very wrong. There are records of it happening.

Are you referring to the Mr Bill landed at WFFC, or something entirely different? I'll admit that I didn't think of that, however, the scenario painted by the following sentences was one of a double mal and someone swooping in grabbing them, deploying and landing them both alive. Are you saying that this has happened without any kind of special harness involved?