scottjaco

Jump Ticket prices going up at Perris

HI,

As I am coming close to getting my cast off from my
broken leg, I decided to go up to Perris to watch
people jump and hang out.....

I noticed that the jump ticket prices used to be
$16 dollars to 12.5k on weekdays. It was the best deal in Southern California!

Then they added a $1 dollar surcharge if you wanted
to use your credit card. I feel this is very unprofessional...I shouldn't have to pay their credit
card fees!

Now 2 weeks later..... they raised the tickets to $19 dollars on weekdays and $21 dollars on weekends.

So in one month, they jacked the cost up 3 bucks
per jump.....isn't that a bid harsh?

I don't wan't to sound cheap....but what is my motivation to jump on weekdays and wait for slow
loads?

I feel like this is being done because they are building a wind tunnel and are short on cash.

Just venting!

Scott

I support the credit card thing, that makes sense for them, business-wise. If I want to take my time paying it off, a little surcharge (5% or less) is cool.

But $19 on the weekdays is a little harsh.. I can see a lot of people going to El Snore if this keeps up. I'll happily pay for wind tunnel time, but the cost of the wind tunnel should _not_ impact the regular jump prices, if that's really what's going on.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

I support the credit card thing, that makes sense for them, business-wise. If I want to take my time paying it off, a little surcharge (5% or less) is cool.

But $19 on the weekdays is a little harsh.. I can see a lot of people going to El Snore if this keeps up. I'll happily pay for wind tunnel time, but the cost of the wind tunnel should _not_ impact the regular jump prices, if that's really what's going on.

Is it cheaper to operated the A/C on weekdays?
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I have never been a big a fan of credit card surcharges....think about it - what if every business decided to charge people a surcharge....that would be entertaining.....

Most businesses do, but they charge it to all customers so you don't notice. It costs the business 3 to 5% to use credit cards and that is a lot for most companies to absorb.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

No, but does it make more sense to put a tandem up by itself with no fun jumpers. The higher prices lesson the incentive to jump during the week. If you use the theory that the cost of running the place is the same all the time, why do they charge more on the weekends. It would seem that they should be able to charge less on the weekend because of the increased activity. I love PVS and visit them often this is definately disappointing.

[QUOTE]Is it cheaper to operated the A/C on weekdays?[/QUOTE]

The point isnt that its cheaper to operate the planes or gas is less exspensive during the weekdays, obviously. The point is that most DZs offer a weekday discount (from what I've seen) and people are pissed that this DZ is stepping the discount down. Now, I think bitching about the discount being taken away is a bit like kicking a gift horse in the mouth, afterall you're still SKYDIVING...

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I'm going to give this whole thread a big "Whaaaa, get over it." I challenge anyone to make a profit in this tight assed industry. If you don't want to pay, don't. I love it when speculation leads to answerers no one can substantiate.

I doubt the tunnel construction has anything to do with the increase in jump ticket prices. The tunnel is probably being run as it's own company, so rasing jumpticket prices would have no effect on the cash flow for the project.

Fact is this industry has been hit with two of the weakest years in it's history, and yet people are still putting forward the effort to make this sport better than ever. My hats off to everyone who is sticking it out rather than running off to find a 9-5 in the "real" world.

end of rant.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

No, but does it make more sense to put a tandem up by itself with no fun jumpers. The higher prices lesson the incentive to jump during the week. If you use the theory that the cost of running the place is the same all the time, why do they charge more on the weekends. It would seem that they should be able to charge less on the weekend because of the increased activity. I love PVS and visit them often this is definately disappointing.

Supply and demand. There is greater demand on the weekend. They can charge more. Seems they raised their weekend rate and there weekday rate. If they had just raised the weekend rate then you might be more pissed about that.

Rising jumprates suck but it's reality of our sport. Many forces go into play about cost for running aircraft. Typically, most DZs run a very tight margin on slots for experienced jumpers. I really wouldn't be surprised if jumps go to 25 bucks a load for turbine planes to 13k. If I knew a DZ was upping the training requirements and demanding more experience before flying jumpers I would imagine they'd need to raise rates. Also, the cost of maintenance can increase too.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

The credit card surcharge has been the norm in Deland for years. Jumps here are $18, I hope they don't go up soon!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Spaceland went from 18-20 when the fuel prices jacked up out of site and they only discount 1 weekday to 15. Block tickets went up 3 for me[:/]. They also charge 2% for credit card charges no matter the card used. My company gets charged from 2.9% visa and mc to almost 4% for check cards!
When I sell wholesale, I charge back.

cash is easier and you can buy a drink from the dude with the cooler with your cash. Can't do that with credit cards! Credit cards suck! :)

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

OK you think I'm whinning?

On Saturday, Perris had over 100...yes! 100 tandem
students! in one day!

Short training, no skills learned by the
tandem student, just pure profit
$209 per student x 100 = $20,900
plus the profit from video ect...

Perris does pretty well for itself, the 2 million
dollar wind tunnel speaks for itself!

The cost of fuel is coming down... The economy sucks, people are making less money, why do
we need to pay more for jump tickets?

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

-just whinning-
Scott

I didn't single you our for whining. Hope it didn't come of that way.

Perris did not have 100 tandem students last Saturday. I was doing tandems, and it wasn't quite that many.

Remember last year when Perris went to $14 jumps? Maybe they are making up for that. Maybe the promotion didn't bring as much business as the thought.

The tunnel sounds like an investment, and they are hoping it pays off, bringing more business to Perris. I know I wouldn't want to have my name signed to the loan paperwork I'm sure they took ou for the project.

What I'm trying to say here, is alot of people rant when a DZ does something they don't like. (Raise prices, impose new rules, make people wait for a 20 minute call when there is another A/C, ect.) People seem to thing DZ's owe them something.

Like I said before, you don't like it, vote with your feet. Find a DZ thay meets all your needs, but don't bash the owners for doing what they want. You wouldn't put up with them telling you how to run your life.

Me, I'll pay the extra buck. Goes up $2-3 and I might walk too....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Well, like I said, "If this keeps up..." An increase now and then makes sense, it's just inflation. The part I find disturbing is that it's gone up twice (once for credit only, and now for everyone) in the space of two months.

Will it keep me from jumping at Perris? No. Not if people I want to hang out with are jumping there. Will I jump more at Elsinore, especially during the week? Probably.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Ya know, I seem to recall PVS posting last year that JT'S were going up to $21 and 19. Yeah, just after labor day if memory serves me. I also seem to recall that they lowered it to $16 to stay competitive with Elsinore over the summer. Maybe that's just the going rate nowadays in Sunny SoCal...
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Scott, I to am upset that the prices went up at Perris, but you have to realize that they are trying to make it in a tough business. It's not cheap to run a DZ and the profits aren't as high as you may think that they are. I'll tell you how the Conatsers take care of the jumpers there. You may have been out with your broken leg when all this went on but they just fired the new manager at the Bombshelter. Why, Because he raised prices! That restarunt does not make a profit and they fired the guy for raising prices! They sometimes have to pay the Restaurant staff from the regular DZ operations. Do you want them to close the restaurant? I'll talk with Ben and Diane. Perris is one of if not the premire DZ in the world. Especially when the tunnel is finished. It takes money to keep 3 Twin Otters and a Skyvan in the air. It takes money to build and keep up the those nice video debrief rooms that we get to use for free. It takes money to keep up the bunk house and the IHOP. It takes money to pay all the pilots and the loaders. It takes money to keep up all those monitors around the DZ that show us our calls. If you went to Vegas and decided to stay at the Venitian would you complain about the price? If you don't like the price go to Circus Circus that has less of the services and you get what ya pay for. I'm not trying to be a dick to you at all. I'm just hoping you can see why Perris is more expensive. If you don't care about all the other things that Perris offers then check out Otay or go to Elsinore or one of the other smaller DZ's in the area and pay the same or a few dollars less. I for one am very happy to call Perris my home DZ. I may not agree with the prices going up but I understand why they have to do it. As far as credit card fees go. At least at Perris they only charge the people whouse the card for the fees. At most service type businesses they just factor it into the cost of the goods for everyone to share even if they never use a credit card. As far as Perris having 100 Tandems in 1 day. You are wrong about the profit they make. The jumpmaster gets a very nice chunk of that 200.00 on every jump and they deserve it. Tandems aren't easy jumps to do! The video guys get the bigger chunk of the video money. So not all that goes into the DZ coffers. THey also have office staff that they have to pay. The school couldn't run with out them. Besides those are to different businesses. The school buys there slots from the DZ. There is also insurance to think of as well. I can't even begin to think how much they must pay for insurance. Running a DZ is a labor of love. We are lucky that the Conatsers love the sport so much and that we have such a great place to jump. Take a break from Perris and go to that small DZ for a year and see how much you miss what is here when you are crammed into a 182 with a tandem and the video guy. It takes 30 minutes to get to 10.5 and you are doing solos all day because the Tandems are more important than the up jumpers and there isn't room in the plane for your 2 way you wanted to do. Is that worth saving 2 or 3 dollars per jump? Not to me. I would rather pay the extra money and pretty much get to do any type of jump that I want, and I don't make a lot of money and EVERY penny that I make is important to me.
Dom

COme to San Diego/Otay...

$18 everyday, with an Otter and Caravan.
Mike Ortiz LO's and the wind is always constant out of the west and we are always 10 to 15 degrees cooler than Elsinore and Perris weather wise.

Mind you I like Perris as well, in fact I really enjoy the bombshelter and skyvan but we have to accept the fact that our sport is EXPENSIVE, and times are rather tough as far as the economy...
Sorry you broke your leg during the cheaper lift ticket prices...

Personally I wish Perris wasn't in such a suck hole location...

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"