Will_Evo

Golden Knights, Anyone here done it?

I am wondering if anyone on these forums have been on the Golden Knights Team? And if so, what advice would you give someone trying to be ready for try outs next year? I already contacted the operations department and got some info, 150 jumps, accuracy is key, focus on RW, public speaking, team skills etc... but on a personal level, what about the tryouts was the toughest? What would you recommend doing now, to greater improve my chances later? I have a whole year to increase my jump number and train specifically for this(Means no FF). Any advice would be awesome.

-Evo
Zoo Crew

dude, its the weekend. everyone is out jumping. but seriously though, i had a buddy of mine go to tryouts and he said they require you to pack fast (and safe), and were really big on accuracy and i talked to CSM Eitnar two weeks ago when he was up at Ft Campbell and he told me the biggest thing to bring to tryouts is a good attitude

yes. start instructing,, ( speaking practice ),, RW, accuracy,, and image image image. military bearing. great luck to you. i regret that i chose medic instead of airborne and hopefully knights way back !! oh well.;) get to an air show and talk to the guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Accuracy seems to be a recurring topic, both from their operations cell and everyone else that has been affiliated with the knights. That is what I am focusing on right now, with some individual instruction and practice. The military bearing and things affiliated with the military have come to me naturally, but as always can improve. By next year I will be a Sergeant, and hopefully will have boosted my jump numbers enough to try out. I guess I have made this a new personal goal, so it'll be an interesting year. Thanks to you guys who gave me advice, and abstained from sending me demeaning messages:S because you did not receive said thanks.

Blue Skies
-Evo

Zoo Crew

A couple of hours ago I was speaking to a young friend of mine who made the team last year. She recently jumped into the Statue of Liberty.

Before tryouts, she had many of the same questions.

I will be talking with her again tomorrow. I'll ask her to check out your thread and respond to you.

One thing to remember is that the GKs are a recruting tool for the Army. You are first and foremost a soldier.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I went through tryouts and made the team last year, so hopefully I will be able to help. Tryouts were two months long, and we jumped (or tried to, depending on weather 6 days per week, 6-8 jumps per day. With all the weather, we ended up getting about 150 jumps. We did pt every morning, went to the DZ, and were jumping, packing or working on narration all day. When we weren't doing that, we were pulling weeds, raking, painting, rolling WDI's (wind drift indicaters) etc. Basically no free time for 2 months. The cadre don't necessarily look at how great you are now, but your learning curve, how well you would represent the army and how good of a team mate you would be. They teach you how to shoot accuracy with a demo rig, because it is very different from shooting accuracy on a sport rig. The tryouts jump smoke and do all of the maneuvers, that we do on show site, except for the intentional cutaway. Also like most things in the army, there are waivers for everything- one guy made it last year with only 82 jumps to begin with, and they may still accept your packet, if you wanted to give it a shot this year, and got it in asap.
I hope this has been helpful, and if you have any more questions, just ask!:)

Fear is not knowing.

I cant apply for the GK but Im assuming you have to have some sort of sport jumping experience? You cant show up airborne qualified only since there arent very many people HALO qualified...??? Seems like a pretty good gig to get out of the "regular" army and get to be a recruiter without actually being a recruiter.

You do have to have jump experience. They ask for 150 freefall jumps (either civilian or halo), but that is waiverable on a case by case basis. Airborne is static line so those jumps don't count towards the 150 freefall jumps.
Fear is not knowing.