jacketsdb23

100 Skydivers in San Francisco (T Mobile Event)

So Bill - who landed on the roof of that house? I assume the jumper was OK.

Overall, looks like you guys pulled off one hell of an event. Congrats!
I imagine flying over the city like that was extremely fun and challenging.

B|

Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

>who landed on the roof of that house?

I think it was Eike. It was the roof of the elevator building on the edge of the parking garage. In other words, he landed basically where he was supposed to, but too close to the downwind edge.

>I imagine flying over the city like that was extremely fun and challenging.

Spotting with a 30kt crosswind, 20kt groundwinds, clouds that were hovering near our opening point, two groups within 1/4 mile opening at the same time and a wingsuit load following it up - yes, it was _very_ challenging. Not to mention dealing with the FAA and ATC, the Patriots airshow team, a congested common frequency and five pilots from four DZ's flying five Otters in a loose formation (but with each plane spotted independently.)

But once my feet left the door, 99.9% of my job was done, and I could relax a little and enjoy the scenery. It was an awesome view.

which landing point did you have?

At Embarcadero, you could see the effect of the winds on the canopies as they came close to final. There's only a couple spots there I would think of trying to land on, and they'd be right next to the water to give me the 'bay' option.

And I presume that there was no opportunity for a test jump in advance. How often is that the case? Do stadiums usually allow for a prep run earlier in the week?

>which landing point did you have?

Marina Green, the biggest one. I was happy. Other LZ's were Justin Herman Plaza by the ferry building (main location, very tight) the garage next to Pier 39 (reasonably sized) Moscone Field (plenty big) and Marina Green (_very_ big.)

>At Embarcadero, you could see the effect of the winds on the canopies as
>they came close to final.

Yeah, any time you are that close to buildings like that the winds can be nasty. We timed it just about right; another half hour and the winds would have been too strong to try for Justin Herman Plaza. (Backup was to move everyone to Marina Green.)

>And I presume that there was no opportunity for a test jump in advance.
>How often is that the case?

It seems like about half the demos we've done do not allow for a test jump. Stadiums usually let you test jump them since they are shut down most of the time. But for big public spaces like the Embarcadero it's just too expensive and disruptive.

All the captains and organizers did a great job, and from my point of view it went pretty smoothly. Moscone field was pretty big and, aside from getting tossed around quite a bit by turbulence, not too tricky.

In any event, it's hard to beat doing a 20 way over downtown San Francisco with jets flying smoke in formation over the Golden Gate Bridge.

If you would like to view the video from my helmet camera, check out the Youtube link below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVKNHVdnlCY

And, if you are interested in seeing the pictures I took, follow the Shutterfly link below.
http://tmobilesfdemo.shutterfly.com/

It looked pretty cool from the ground, too!

Thanks again for all your help in recruiting and organizing the wingsuit part of the jump. Your efforts made things in our plane flow a lot more smoothly.

Anytime, Bill. It's always a pleasure working with other professionals :)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Absolutely AMAZING. So many things could have gone seriously wrong and none did. Way to go PROSs!

How the hell did I miss this? I live 35 minutes from SF and had no clue it was going to happen.

Cluelessly,
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.