rickjump1

Pampered at a small dz.

I had a cutaway Sunday. Conditions were perfect: Montana blue sky and a little wind. After landing, I discovered that the dzo/rigger had jumped on his 4-wheeler and was hot on the trail of my canopy and freebag. After returning with them, he suggested I finish the day jumping his personal rig. Later, he offered his rig for next weekend. The whole thing took me by surprise (even the cutaway). Fred Sand, owner of Sky Lost Prairie went the extra mile for this customer.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Good Stuff!

I've never had the pleasure to jump at LP, but I've heard nothing but good......Or maybe he's just sucking up because he wants you to buy him a good bottle for the save:P

I think I'll keep an old tradition going: a case of beer. He didn't mention a bottle. PS come to the boggie next summer.

Retrieving free-bags is standard practice at the better DZs: Perris, PItt Meadows, Lost Prairie, etc.

A couple of weeks ago, one of our sport jumpers had a cutaway. I hopped in the DZ van. Manifest nodded and smiled. I has talking with air traffic controllers as the free-bag touched down in the middle of the air port.

I returned to the loft - with free-bag and main aboard the van a the same time as he walked in from the bowl.

The secret to finding free-bags is to watch them land - from as close as possible. That vastly narrows the search field. Call it a "lazy rigger trick."

Retrieving free-bags is standard practice at the better DZs: Perris, PItt Meadows, Lost Prairie, etc.

A couple of weeks ago, one of our sport jumpers had a cutaway. I hopped in the DZ van. Manifest nodded and smiled. I has talking with air traffic controllers as the free-bag touched down in the middle of the air port.

I returned to the loft - with free-bag and main aboard the van a the same time as he walked in from the bowl.

The secret to finding free-bags is to watch them land - from as close as possible. That vastly narrows the search field. Call it a "lazy rigger trick."

Did you offer the sport jumper use of your personal rig to finish the day? If not, I would say Lost Prairie rates pretty high in the chain of better dropzones. I realize it might be difficult to loan out rigs at the larger dz's since you probably have more cutaways.

Did you offer the sport jumper use of your personal rig to finish the day?

That is a nice touch. Our turbine DZ has a rack of great rental gear for $10 a hop. That's what I've used before.

My first time to LP was this summer's boogie, but I'm definitely going back. It was great. B|

Fred is one of the good guys, but let's not forget by loaning his rig he was able to keep his plane flying making him money.

Also, at many other big DZs if you have a cutaway, you might get offered a rig from a sponsored team if they aren't training that day.

Fred is one of the good guys, but let's not forget by loaning his rig he was able to keep his plane flying making him money.

Also, at many other big DZs if you have a cutaway, you might get offered a rig from a sponsored team if they aren't training that day.

There were enough jumpers to keep the plane flying, and there were no sponsored teams in sight. The only thing in sight was Fred. If this happened at some of the bigger dz's I have visited, you would be done for the day; simple as that.

That is a nice touch. Our turbine DZ has a rack of great rental gear for $10 a hop. That's what I've used before.

My first time to LP was this summer's boogie, but I'm definitely going back. It was great. B|
It was my first too. Maybe we can talk Shopshire into coming next year. Its kind of a unique experience.

So our rental fee is 32% cheaper, eh?

Sure. And we normally pay $36 for 10.000 ft jump.

Multiply figures with yearly income and I guess it's no mistery why I don't have more jumps in 6 years.
However, I'm happy :)
And I've never heard of lost gear around here, nor anybody had to pay for the search.. except for the beer
So Fred's spirit is universal (that's good)
What goes around, comes later.

John

Is the turbine DZ your talking about Kapow in Wa state where you've been a partime employee for 15-20 yr's, The same DZ where your everyone's friend.

I'm a little surprised to read that your renting gear from the DZ when you have a mal:S

Fred at LP is looking better and better he's old school just like the folks at kapow, but what a differnce in customer service.

Whats next DZ's charging a fee for retrieving a free bag and a ride from the LZ to the hanger.

Of course any DZ is free to charge whatever they want for any service they provide, thats just business.
One Jump Wonder

I'm a little surprised to read that your renting gear from the DZ when you have a mal:S

They've loaned me gear when I'm working back to back loads or something, but if I need a throw out rig for a birdman jump (mine's a pull out) I have no qualms about renting a rig for $10. It costs a lot of dough to put nice gear like that on the rack. If it's offered for free, sure, but I feel I have no right to expect it. BTW, I've been there 25+ years.B|