jumpjunkie2004

Prescription Drugs and Skydiving

It'd be really handy if a couple of skydiving doctors could get togeather and come up with a common-sense checklist for jumping.

Something like:

You can probably jump if:

~ You can jump off a picnic table bench without pain.
~ You can jog lightly without pain.
~ You can think clearly.
~ You do not suffer fatigue.
~ You can exercise strenuously without becoming dizzy.
~ You do not show an elevated body temperature (fever).
~ You are not under the influence of any narcotics (pain killers).

Perhaps change it to "Do not jump if" and negate the conditions to cover asses...

[edit] Just to make sure there is no confusion, I am not a doctor, and I'm sure that list needs improvement.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

It'd be really handy if a couple of skydiving doctors could get togeather and come up with a common-sense checklist for jumping.

Like everything in life, I'm sure people with common-sense would follow the suggestions and those without common-sense would ignore it.
Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat...

My wife is a doctor as well, but she's stopped giving advice to most skydivers. She's an orthopedic surgeon, and so has some pretty good insights into what people should or shouldn't do with broken bones, but 90% of the time her advice gets ignored. Skydivers often will keep asking people until they get the answer they want, so it's generally futile to give advice.

Perhaps, but at least Amy's opinion has a stronger basis in reality. We know she's not a doctor who thinks she knows better than us fools who choose to skydive/motorcycle/etc. I rediscovered that again last summer when I made two trips to the acute care center at UCSF over a suspicious ache. One doctor was useless, the other had good incite.

A good doctor doesn't make the decision for the patient.

Yes, humor was the intention there. Are you saying that all doctors are good just because they passed the boards or got into medical school? I hope not. I would rather see a doctor who graduated high in the class/passed boards with an excellent score his/her 1st try. I'm just kind of pointing out that all doctors/Lawyers are not created equal and that just because they passed a test/ got into school does not mean that there isn't a better one around the corner. I also find humor in the way people will look for the answer they want wherever they can find it.(I'm not saying that this thread is an example of that)
James

In the U.S. DOT's Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) ch. 8-1-1 it states:

c. Medication.

1. Pilot performance can be seriously degraded by both prescribed and over-the-counter medications, as well as by the medical conditions for which they are taken. Many medications, such as tranquilizers, sedatives, strong pain relievers, and cough-suppressant preparations, have primary effects that may impair judgment, memory, alertness, coordination, vision, and the ability to make calculations. Others, such as antihistamines, blood pressure drugs, muscle relaxants, and agents to control diarrhea and motion sickness, have side effects that may impair the same critical functions. Any medication that depresses the nervous system, such as a sedative, tranquilizer or antihistamine, can make a pilot much more susceptible to hypoxia.

2. The CFRs prohibit pilots from performing crewmember duties while using any medication that affects the faculties in any way contrary to safety. The safest rule is not to fly as a crewmember while taking any medication, unless approved to do so by the FAA.

Not that this really says anything to anyone other than a lawyer.

The wife is a doctor and since I get sinus blockage all the time she tells me to take Pseudoephedrine. Non-drowsy, in fact it's a mild stimulant (hense the ephedrine you see in "sports drinks"). The final call is yours. Be prepared to save your own life. Or just get in your car and drive home while drowsy. :D

chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for posting! Your post provides a little more detail than the FAA's

(b) Any drug that affects that person's faculties in any way contrary to safety.

Ultimately, I need to be responsible for my own decisions regarding OCDs and prescriptions.

Being informed about the "rules" and regulations will help me make more informed choices.

Thanks again!

Sarah
Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat...

I can't tell you about any rules, since I don't know, but I can tell you that I certainly take my ADHD medication on the way to the DZ every day that I jump. I have no doubt I could do everything without them, but how bad of a day would it be if I'm in freefall and think "Gosh, that looks like a nice place to eat", and start thinking about food, and lose altitude awareness?

;)
cavete terrae.

In your particular case the biggest reason not to jump isn't the medicine, but the reason you are taking it. If you want a violent decompression of you sinuses through whatever hole is most convienient (ear drum, nose, eyeball, etc.) go ahead. If sinuses are bothering you here is my recommendation. A steroid nose spray (like Nasonex) starting a few days before. A decongestant (like Sudafed) also starting a few days before. Make sure the Sudafed doesn't cause a problem. If it does try Clorcidin. If still bothered the day of take Afrin (for that day only) -- it is an over the counter nose spray for SHORT term use. Before going up try each nostril seperately, if they aren't both clear, be a spectator, it could save you a lot of greif.

I would rather see a doctor who graduated high in the class/passed boards with an excellent score his/her 1st try. I'm just kind of pointing out that all doctors/Lawyers are not created equal and that just because they passed a test/ got into school does not mean that there isn't a better one around the corner.

On this note, it's not always the book smart (those who can easily pass the boards and other exams because they can easily memorize things) but the practically enhanced (I made it up, but it sounded good right?) that should be considered as well. Just because you can pass a test doesn't mean you can use that knowledge in a practical situation correctly. There are many variables in life that just knowing the answers from the book cannot answer. Just something to keep in mind about that ;).

Back to the subject of this thread, if you are not satisified with the answer of your doctor, research the drugs you are taking (all Rx come with a complex data sheet containing all the information about that particular drug that you may not even understand :P). As stated before, some people just try to find the answer they are looking for. If you are looking for a second opinion, try another Dr. The way people feel about their physicians are important, ask a couple of friends who they go to and how they like them, maybe you'll find someone better for you that way. In the end, doctors know a lot about what they do, otherwise they wouldn't be working (thanks to the sue happy people of today's society :S), but as always they don't know everything so if you have any doubt in your mind, research it a little bit, if you still have doubt, consult someone else that should be trained in the field of which your question is directed to.

-Mike NREMT and [pray] future doctor [/pray]

You'll never find me Jew gold!

what are you taking? what antibiotic? and for what?

Sinusitis? rhinitis?

I would apply the same rules for scubadiving and other baro-trauma conditions.

you could get a reverse block on the way down be the same as scubadiving and you decend to 110ft equlizing your middle air sapce via your valava manuever through the eustation tubes. so no that you have 4 x's great autmospheric pressure ( 14.7 psi ) you added to your sinuses and middle ear on accent it needs to drain out. so would be the fly up in the plane. you could have pain upon accent in the plane or be fine and when you jump and open the rapid pressure changes could hurt. be equivelent to going down in a 10 ft pool and not clearing your ears. pain ful. the ear drum ( tympanic Membrane ) would flex in by the outside ambient pressure and the negative pressure in your middle ear space would cause lot of pain.

Antibiotics shouldnt make you drowsy per say you wouldnt have any narcolepsy ( falling asleep )or cataplexy ( dropping out just fainting like spell ) nothing crazy like that.

The antibiotic shouldnt give you anytrouble its the condition that may ground you. especially when the airspaces in your head need to equalize.

you know the best one to ask is not a ortho guy or even an ent guy the best would be a flight surgeon, ( not allways aa surgeon military flight doctor )

This is off the Flight surgeon manual

good resource for ya

http://www.vnh.org/FSManual/08/03Rhinology.html

http://www.vnh.org/FSManual/08/03Rhinology.html

http://www.vnh.org/FSManual/fsm91.html - flight surgeon manual.

http://www.vnh.org

http://www.aviationmedicine.com/

http://www.aviationmedicine.com/meds.htm - medicines!!!!

try these out

Well...I'm stuck on the ground until I'm finished the antibiotic. Hopefully, it will clear up my head problem and I'll be back in the air next weekend.

I'm in the same boat you are. Got an ear infection last week and doc gave me some meds. I asked him about jumping and he would not recommend it. He's not a jumper but a pilot and was concerned with the effects of the meds making me drowsy and decompression on my ear.