skymiles

A Not so Happy New Year at Skydive San Diego

What makes jumping in sunglasses inherently unsafe?

For you or me? Nothing probably. But I can imagine an AFFI making a few objections when his STUDENT appears for the jump wearing 'true aviators Ray Ban' sunglasses.

You can't see if the lights are on, let alone if there's anybody home... B|

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

the DZ is not the same. There are way less instructors (and way less people), so they have to delay each load for packing, debriefs, etc so its much slower now. It seems less safe too.

Because more Instructors on a DZ makes it more safe? :S

I told a AFF1 that he needed goggles and couldnt jump in his sunglasses about 2 minutes before he got on the plane.

Is this a DZ rule? Or were you letting the Instructor know what is more safe?

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Because more Instructors on a DZ makes it more safe? :S
No, but when they are back to back on every load things get rushed sometimes.

I told a AFF1 that he needed goggles and couldnt jump in his sunglasses about 2 minutes before he got on the plane.

Ed

I thought that students had to jump with clear goggles (thats what they told me). Not sure if its just the DZ or USPA. I didnt tell the instructor, he wasent around. The guy didnt mind, everybody else had goggles. Yes i think jumping with sunglasses with no strap that are not super tight fitting is unsafe for your first skydive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He said AFF1 (one) not AFFI (instructor).
Remster

>Yes i think jumping with sunglasses with no strap that are not super
>tight fitting is unsafe for your first skydive.

It's not the tightness, it's being able to see their eyes. Seeing their eyes tells you a lot about what's 'going on upstairs' with a student.

I thought that students had to jump with clear goggles (thats what they told me).

Remster wrote:
He said AFF1 (one) not AFFI (instructor).

Sorry I misread the 1 for an I. Your right though, students should wear clear goggles so we can see the eyes clearly.

What about the DZ made you feel as though it was unsafe?

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

The way I read it, the AFF student told the AFF instructor to jump in goggles rathern than sunglasses.. Might just be me reading it wrong.

Of course sunglasses make eye-to-eye communication a bit harder and that alone is a good argument for using clear goggles as an AFF instructor.

Oh that and true Pilot Ray Bans. Top Gun Style B|

I dont know anything about the DZOs, but ASC cedartown is one of the best places to jump. I understand you were refering to the DZO, but if he is anything like the staff he is fine by me. ASC is part of my family as far as im concerned. "While I don't agree with what you say sir, ill fight to the death your right to say it!" :P

Brett
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

Just to clarify because I was also there as my friend was making her first AFF jump as well and I was watching out for her. It was a little hectic that day because there were fewer instructors than usual and it was raining periodically. Due to this, I think some of the students did not get as much personal attention as they would have normally. The student mentioned above, was wearing his sunglassess so when another skydiver noticed that, he suggested he get some goggles instead (the student was grateful). I am sure one of the instructors would have noticed he had sunglasses before he got on the airplane, as they do several safety checks, it was just a comment that things weren't running as smoothly as in the past.. I'm sure it's just "growing pains".