jf951

3 rings reversed???

The week I bought my new rig it was raining bad. I took it out to the DZ and got it all assembled. I was planning on jumping my rig when four days later I got laid off of my job. I was unemployed for 6 months before I got the job I have now and my wife informed me that she is getting a 6 thousand dollar bonus from her job. So, shes going out of town this coming weekend and I plan on getting my ass out there to at least get my reserve re-packed (if bad weather) and jumping that sexy bitch if weather permits. Trust me brother...it FREEEKIN KILLS me seeing that new rig just sit in my back room. It'll get jumped very soon! Thanks for the input

Here is a slightly out of focus pic of my risers I took with my 3 mexapixel camera phone last night. Sorry its the best I could do as far as the fuzziness goes but I did import it into paint and placed a line to where the deterioration is at (or at least my idea of deterioration)

That's not deterioration, that's stitching.:)
I think you're good to go. B|

Safe sports are bowling and golfing. You don't risk death playing 'safe' sports.

Not to draw too fine a point, but I know a guy who was killed golfing. And a guy who was paralyzed playing soccer. And a girl who had her arm crushed playing softball.

Life's rough, man.

Remember Sgt. Esterhaus.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Safe sports are bowling and golfing. You don't risk death playing 'safe' sports.

Not to draw too fine a point, but I know a guy who was killed golfing. And a guy who was paralyzed playing soccer. And a girl who had her arm crushed playing softball.

Life's rough, man.

Remember Sgt. Esterhaus.

Ok, freak accidents do happen. But accidents are more likely to happen in skydiving rather than bowling or golfing.:P

Ok, freak accidents do happen. But accidents are more likely to happen in skydiving rather than bowling or golfing.:P

Agreed. I skydive. Many of my coworkers play softball on rec. teams. Once one of the players broke his leg. They talked about it for weeks. :D Wouldn't have been next day news at a DZ.:P

We have a D licensed jumper down here in Alabama, Army man. He broke his leg playing softball :D We made fun of him for months.

My old manager used to give me shit about skydiving and BASE jumping. She broke her ankle mini-golfing.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

another correction : not HIGH performance, but BETTER/CLEANER performance.

Another correction - Better performance that comes with additional risk.

Please do elaborate. How does letting your wing flatten out due to riser ends being spread more increase the risk ?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=467069;search_string=A%20rigger%20examiner%20hypothesizes;#467069

"Here is what may have happened. With the slider fully open but down past the connector links, it would probably would have stopped at the area of the steering line guide ring. Just above this guide ring is a stiff section of riser where part of the toggle stowing system is attached. Conceivably, when the jumper pulled the steering line down in a turn to a point where the finger trap was below the guide ring, slider grommet pressure against the line and guide ring could have created an “S” in the line. The line could slide through until the joint at the finger trap reached the S turn at the guide ring. At that point the ring’s pressure against the joint in the line could effectively lock the line in place, leaving the canopy set in a turn. "

another correction : not HIGH performance, but BETTER/CLEANER performance.

Another correction - Better performance that comes with additional risk.

Please do elaborate. How does letting your wing flatten out due to riser ends being spread more increase the risk ?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=467069;search_string=A%20rigger%20examiner%20hypothesizes;#467069

"Here is what may have happened. With the slider fully open but down past the connector links, it would probably would have stopped at the area of the steering line guide ring. Just above this guide ring is a stiff section of riser where part of the toggle stowing system is attached. Conceivably, when the jumper pulled the steering line down in a turn to a point where the finger trap was below the guide ring, slider grommet pressure against the line and guide ring could have created an “S” in the line. The line could slide through until the joint at the finger trap reached the S turn at the guide ring. At that point the ring’s pressure against the joint in the line could effectively lock the line in place, leaving the canopy set in a turn. "

If I understand that correctly, it would look like something in the picture attached. EDIT: with the slider on the other side of the guide ring ofc./EDIT When you pull down your slider to allow the lines to spread you pull it past the toggles, so that scenario wouldn't be an issue. There are other issues with pulling down the slider though. Limited visibility, added distraction, the possibility of a toggle fire etc but getting your line jammed like that isn't one of them.

I usually pull my slider down when jumping my Sabre.

I put a BASE canopy with reversed risers in a Vector for a few test jumps. I did the same test and 10 times in a row the risers were stuck until I either pulled them off with my hands, or my friend started changing the angle of pull to about 30 degrees from horizontal. One time he actually lifted the top half of my body off the table a foot or so...

Your 3 rings need to sit on your shoulder just right to keep your 3 rings safe if you have the reverse risers.

And, it's not just high speed mals (where you are belly to earth) that won't cutaway... Imagine you get tangled in your main and for some reason your foot is in a line. God forbid you are "head down"... You cutaway. Head down, even with the best reverse riser 3ring placement, it might not cut away... Normal risers will. It's rare someone gets tangled up in the canopy, but it happens.

Wrong test. Never install reversed riser on a rig not made for them. You only have proved that, not that they do not function on an atom. That is another test. Please, do that test and come back with the results.

As I said - if they don't fit/sit just right - it locks up, so test your own rig.

No atoms anywhere near me to test. Can you take a photo and post? Have the "skydiver" lay flat on a table wearing a rig with shoulders off the table enough three rings are exposed to free air. Pull the main out, pull the main towards their feet, lines across their back, as if they deployed head down. Pull hard with constant pressure as if it is tangled in their feet, Cutway. Does it release every time?