mgregory

I've been thinking

I think it's a good idea for all jumpers, but more so the new jumpers, to take more time to read the safety forum posting and ask safety related questions while at the DZ. I think too many people get caught up in wanting to fit in that they focus on joking around or not wanting to look stupid that they put theirs and others personal safety at risk. I love visiting the bonfire forum and making fun of others just as much as the next guy. But it seems there are plenty of people rushing to progress in the sport they don't want to waste time with the 'boring' aspects of the sport like safety.
AKA MG Hammer Flying Hellfish #834 Son's Of Bacon #1

No! its the internet, everyone has an oppinion and its not always the right one, there is lots of good advice but also lots of bad advice, a newer jumper does not know the difference yet, they should be speaking to their instructors and other people at the DZ before consulting a forum.
IHYD

Yes....provided the student doesn't take what he reads as gospel truth and discusses what he reads with his instructors before he attempts to DO anything.

Good source of just what questions to ask.
Yep, there will be some stupid stuff out there. The students instructor will, hopefully, help him pick out what's good and what's not-so-good.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

there will be some stupid stuff out there. The students instructor will, hopefully, help him pick out what's good and what's not-so-good.

The biggest problem is that because the advice might be from some internet skydiving hero, the student may not agree with dissenting instruction from his/her own instructor. The teachings of their own instructor may be more correct for their own situation. If you haven't seen "that guy" show up on your DZ with 10 jumps and an internet expert, you will.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I just think it is helpful to remind yourself to think about your instruction. I'm not saying follow all the advice you get on here. I'm saying that seeing the things i've been taught by instructors reenforced on here is helpful and reminds me to think about them before every jump.

You know it could be entirely possible that 'the person' you are referring to could be one of 'those guys' but they asked a bunch of stupid questions on here...got their asses flamed...learned their lesson...and decided after all they learned it would be best to stick with what their instructors say. Anything is possible on this planet.

There's a Safety forum???

:D

Seriously - the S&T forum gets a lot of posts and replies and it seems to draw in a fair number of new and young jumpers who are looking to learn about and understand safety issues.

You have a good point, Mike, in that the forum should be perused by young jumpers. But let's not stop there. It's a good idea for all jumpers to keep an eye on current, and past, safety concerns. The life you save may not just be your own. ;)

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I dont ever read my SIM...I only read post on the internet and only take advice from people on DZ.com...I NEVER listen to my instructors...the internet forums are more useful

B|

I know you are being sarcastic, but that is kind of my point. As a student, we read the SIM and recieve instruction on a daily basis. But once we get that letter stamped on our card we think we are good to go. I did it. It wasn't until Safety day that I really noticed how little I think about how I will react in an emergency situation. Taking the time to realize that I only have a few jumps and should make more of a practice to review things like the SIM when I have down time.

Bring on all the stupid questions and the stupid answers!!! That's how we learn. As long as some of the more experienced people stick around to oversee this mess, the correct message will surface.

In the meantime, us newbs keep learning, we stay involved and, most importantly, we stay interested. :)As always... IMHO

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Yes....provided the student doesn't take what he reads as gospel truth and discusses what he reads with his instructors before he attempts to DO anything.

Good source of just what questions to ask.
Yep, there will be some stupid stuff out there. The students instructor will, hopefully, help him pick out what's good and what's not-so-good.

Some instructors promote "The 45 Degree Rule".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think it's a good idea for all jumpers, but more so the new jumpers, to take more time to read the safety forum posting and ask safety related questions while at the DZ. I think too many people get caught up in wanting to fit in that they focus on joking around or not wanting to look stupid that they put theirs and others personal safety at risk. I love visiting the bonfire forum and making fun of others just as much as the next guy. But it seems there are plenty of people rushing to progress in the sport they don't want to waste time with the 'boring' aspects of the sport like safety.

+1

I really can't understand how safety can be seen as a "boring" subject when your life is at stake [put bluntly]. If anything, becoming more familiar and comfortable with safety aspects of a skydive will help me gain confidence in flying...