Mockingbird

I flunked AFF Level 2 jump... Has this happened to others?

Why you didn't pull? Well during sensory overload, a dive that had a variable that was not drilled came up.

Normal.

Glad to hear the word, "normal"!! Boy I wish I could get up there and try again right away.

I had a student once...He had past his pull altitude so I gave him a pull signal by pointing at him....He pointed back at me like "No, you da man!!!!"

Very relieved to hear that I'm not the only one that didn't process the most important signal of them all!!! That's hilarious; thanks.

You are da' man!
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

Don't tell anybody but it took me 15 jumps to finish an 8-jump course :$ would have to check my logbook to see exactly what jumps I got stuck on.
My problem was performance anxiety (performing for the instructor well enough to pass) I had to remind myself that I wasn't retarded and I didn't have any physical ailment that would keep me from performing any of the body movements necessary for skydiving.

Oh yeah don't forget to Relax

Blue Skies Black Death

I just got back from Lake Elsinore where my friend, an AFF instructor, had to flunk a student on level 1. The student repeated the level and sailed through the rest. So take the advice given here... listen to your instructors, relax and have fun. You'll get there. Good luck.

no matter how badly the freefall portion goes, you still have to check the canopy, fly the canopy and land safely, get frazzled and upset when your back on the ground.

Roy? Did you really say that? :D

Seriously though, Roy's right. There's no pause button in skydiving. You just have to accept any mistakes as done and keep turning the page until the skydive is over.

Don't worry about failing a jump. Failing a jump is quite common during student progression. If we expected you to be perfect the first time, we wouldn't bother sending instructors up with you.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Thank you to everyone who encouraged me! I re-did the jump this past weekend and passed. I never lost track of my altitude--- checked it often--- and pulled on time.

When will next weekend get here?????B|

Well done!! B|
and remember not to beat up on yourself next time you make a mistake (becaue we all do and will make mistakes) - just learn from it - which is exactly what you did from your first to second L2!
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Great post, I am about to do level 2, I to went through industrial haze on my level 1 but was so focused on my COA that I didnt realize holy crap Im going faster... My main fear is Door fear and exit. I hate exit. Its a horrible thing, I wish someone would just chunk me out a window, Id be fine. All this go out on your own ugh... heres a link to my industrial haze aff1 but ours was an accident.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lisa_marie_abdrep/album?.dir=/36ce&.src=ph&.tok=phhzl7CB.PUF4aRx
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

your photos are awesome. i love the one of ya'll in the haze... if i could go back and change anything about my first aff, it would be to GET THE VIDEO AND THE PHOTOS!!
i love exit the best. landing is what sucks for me. :S keep at it.
good luck and blue skies!
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

I pulled the pics from the DVD, thats how the haze one happened. On the DVD that is when he faded to the plane. What was best about the video is it was free, and it came out so flippen good. One of my good friends Randy Thurston did it, he is a videographer for SDSM, Landing was what had intimated me the most, however I almost stood this landing and if hadnt touched first with my heel I would have had my first stand up. Overall I was so pleased with the whole jump, me , the instructors etc. Can not wait to go again. Until then I will watch my DVDs of AFF1 over and over and over and over .... Thanks

Here! I totally blanked till it was time to pull thaen the prcp and all the other procedures came to me..

Ha I laughed about it and went back up and did it again. No biggie. Later on it's second nature.

have fun and don't forget to smile.

One thing I wish I would have changed is that from 7000 to 6000 I didnt take my eyes off the alti (thanks baby, it sure is a pretty one hehehe) but I feel like maybe I missed out on a pretty view, but hey I made the wave off,

LOL... I WISH! Unfortunately, I won't be able to return for a second try until the following weekend as I will be having houseguests this weekend. Have fun for me.

This, to me, is a serious concern - probably the most problematic in the whole thread.

Progressing in the sport includes prioritising. Example:

1) Skydive
2) Houseguests

There are many other examples, but I hope you can draw from this one.

L.

Dear Luke, thank you for enlightening me on this. I will write it on the inside cover of my SIM so that I don't forget! If you think of anything else, be sure to let me know.

With much appreciation,
Mockingbird;)

Don't feel bad at all I flunked AFF 3 and about took out a instructor in the process. It really humbled me up which is just what I needed. Time seems to fly by on your first few jumps then it starts to slow down and you get a better grip on things. 8 more jumps until I get my A license and each jump gets better and better.
ARCH, REACH, PULL
BLUE SKY'S
Jason
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

My husband fell through a cloud during an AFF level two or three jump. Our instructor said everything had been going fine, and then he looked like a deer in headlights. He completely froze, and then went right by his pull altitude. The instructor moved in, grabbed his arm, and was reaching when my husband finally pulled. He failed the jump too, pulled around 3,000. :o

I also experienced going blank on several of my first AFF dives. I remember looking at my altimiter, but not reading it, looking at the ground, but not knowing where the heck I was, and looking at my instructor, but not having a clue what signals he was giving me. :S

Your awareness will improve. Keep up the training. The first time you go out that door by yourself, no agenda, no one observing you, just playing on your own - wow, now that's a wonderful feeling! :)
Dawn