killabee44

Looking for skydiving info & good school in florida...

Guys, I have been wanting to skydive for the longest and would like to go in June of this year.

I have some questions that maybe you guys can help me with. First of all Im looking for suggestions on a good school. Im in south florida (20 minutes north of Miami) and am willing to drive to a good school if need be.

Also, was wondering how the process works before you can jump without tandem.

I was looking for a newbie forum or a stickie but didnt find one...

Thanks.

Lol the newbie forum is Introductions. It's way at the top.

I just finished my AFF at Palatka, but that's a bit far for you. Deland is one of the biggest, and most well-known DZs I would say, but again, a bit of a drive. I don't know about the ones in SFL, though.

Some DZs let you jump right into AFF, some make you do a tandem first, and some of those count your tandem as your AFF 1 since it's basically your "freak out" jump.

Welcome to the sport, hope it is as good to you as it is to me.

If you are near Miami, You would might want to look at Skydive Miami over at Homestead. http://www.skydivemiami.com/.

Just be sure to deal directly with the Dropzone you are looking to skydive with. Don't waste your money on any of the middle men out there, especially 1 800 Skyride, Thrill Planet, Adventure Sports/Skydiving, Skydiving.com or any other booking services. Be sure the person you are talking to is NOT in Georgia if you thought you called a number in Fla. Ask the person up front where they are RIGHT NOW? If they have to ask you where you are first, you are talking to a middle man, hang up the phone and call on another website.

This is the page for the Dropzone.com listings for Florida. http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/North_America/United_States/Florida/index.html
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

Everything you need to know about starting in the crazy world of skydiving, is on the home page.......just follow the links.

Or you can click on this link:
www.uspa.org

Good luck and welcome to the forums.
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

I was in your shoes three months ago. I live in Colombia but have a second home in Coral Springs. I wrote and called several places in Florida but couldn't get straight answers and in many cases didn't get any answer at all.

Then I found Skydive the Farm(Georgia) here at dropzone.com, they are ranked second in the nation by reviewers. Gave them a call and talked with Hans the DZO, he was very helpful and straightfoward.

Despite the 12 hour long drive from Coral Springs, I chose the Farm for my AFF. Went there on March and did 8 jumps. The place is great and the staff is outstanding. I will be going back in a couple of months to finish my 'A' license requirements.

Hope this helps.

Blue skies and mild winds,

Luis
Alea Iacta Est

Call Skydive City in Z-hills!

Z-Hills is about 4 hours away. It is a pretty rad place. They have camping and trailers to rent so you can drive up there and stay for the whole weekend (or longer) and have it be a fairly cheap trip.

The wind tunnel in Orlando isn't too far from Z-Hills so a ride out there can be a good way to get some practice in between jump days or if the weather isn't good.

It is the only DZ I have been to in FL, so I can't compare it to others.

You might as well check out the dz's that are closest to your house first. Why waste jumpable time driving? ;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You might as well check out the dz's that are closest to your house first. Why waste jumpable time driving? ;)

You are very right, based on his description of where he lives, that's why I suggested Skydive Miami and it is possible that Clewiston is closer.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

Ok guys, so I did my first tandem jump first thing this morning.

All I have to say is

WHAAAAAAAT A RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I understand why it is hard for so many people to describe it. Its something you have to experience.

I ended up jumping at Skydive Air Adventures in Clewiston, Fl. The people there were great and were friendly.

Thanks to all for the advise and replies. Can't wait til my next jump. It can get expensive but I hope to do it every 3 or 4 few months.