Morne

On realising your alti is broken mid jump , do you ?

...wait for the group that left after you to pull...

Wait for the group that left AFTER you to pull!!!!???

:S

I hope you just made an honest mistake there Spence??? If not, I think your advice there is really really bad!

Think about it... if you jump out, I wait 15 seconds and then leave, I make no effort to get down to your level, you just watch me, above you, waiting for me to pull, I pull between 2500 and 3000 and saddle out a bit above 2000... you've been in freefall 15 seconds longer than me... do the math, you've bounced if you wait to see the group that left AFTER you pull.

I have also realised that I look at my alti at certain heights during a jump. more or less.

What if : (I like these) You are on a 2 way , your alti fails , high winds so big seperation between groups , AND in jump your jump partners alti also fails , and both think , OK Ill wait for him to break off .

What then ? :P

Hopefully he signals to me that his alti is broken, just like I would signal him. I wouldn't be waiting for him to break, I'd be looking at the ground and running a count of freefall time to know when pull time is coming up.

I don't have a ton of jumps, but all of them have been on my belly. I have a good internal clock and always think "breakoff time" around where my audible goes off even if I don't look once at my altimeter. If I do glance at my alti it's usually right above breakoff altitude, especially when I'm doing a 2 way and breaking lower than I usually do. My brain tells me I'm past where I normally should break.

I forgot my helmet one jump and when we broke off I tracked off and knew when I should be hearing my audible (which was in my helmet), realized I didn't have it on me, and waved and pulled.

It really isn't that hard to judge altitude based on time-lapse and eyeballing the ground/horizon. You just have to pay attention.

Deploying high without letting folks know is a bit naughty.

Yeah, but you're not supposed to die either!

Collision between jumper under canopy and jumper in freefall can be as serious as collision between jumper in freefall and the planet. It would be great if you tried to not take anyone with you.

The poll that starts this thread leaves out many options that more experienced jumpers would have chosen. On group jumps, you'd know the altitude at breakoff in any case, because the brakoff is usually keyed, and even when it's not, seeing that everyone else is leaving means that you should be leaving too.

Knowing the breakoff altitude before going up is part of having a planned skydive, and is basic safety.

Then you can count to 6000 for every 1000 feet you track if you track like an average person, and to 7000 if you're good, you should know this already, I thought counting seconds in the track was tought to AFF students.

Open and fly the canopy like normal.

And stop doing solos and get into RW. For safety!

:P
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

one time I jumped on a load with no helmet, shoes or altimeter and as the plane took off, two kids in the back got wild-eyed and one said, "Dude you forgot your ALTIMETER!"

The other said, "You can borrow one of mine!"

Then I noticed that each one of them had two visual altimeters and one audible -- and one of them had TWO audibles.

I said, "Thanks, but I still have two" and pointed to my eyes.

They looked at each other as if they'd never heard of such a thing.... using your eyes to tell how high you are - preposterous!

Great basic training this sport is providing, isn't it?

Two people does not make for a complete picture of the training the sport provides. Did you take the opportunity to teach these jumpers or just berate them at a later time when they were not present?

Really, everyone, if you can't tell where you are in the sky, sell your rig and start bowling.

That is funny. :D and ridiculous. :S

Deploying high without letting folks know is a bit naughty.

Yeah, but you're not supposed to die either!

Collision between jumper under canopy and jumper in freefall can be as serious as collision between jumper in freefall and the planet. It would be great if you tried to not take anyone with you.

The poll that starts this thread leaves out many options that more experienced jumpers would have chosen. On group jumps, you'd know the altitude at breakoff in any case, because the brakoff is usually keyed, and even when it's not, seeing that everyone else is leaving means that you should be leaving too.

Knowing the breakoff altitude before going up is part of having a planned skydive, and is basic safety.

Then you can count to 6000 for every 1000 feet you track if you track like an average person, and to 7000 if you're good, you should know this already, I thought counting seconds in the track was tought to AFF students.

Open and fly the canopy like normal.

And stop doing solos and get into RW. For safety!

umm if I counted to 6000 even if I started counting from exit I would have much bigger problems then not having a working Altimeter....

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

I have also realised that I look at my alti at certain heights during a jump. more or less.

What if : (I like these) You are on a 2 way , your alti fails , high winds so big seperation between groups , AND in jump your jump partners alti also fails , and both think , OK Ill wait for him to break off .

What then ? :P

Then you have to use your brain. The reality is that I could come up with hundreds, thousands, of situations in skydiving where something or another has gone wrong and you have to react to it in some way.

What if: You altimeter breaks, then you lose your goggles and cant see anything and both your arms get broken at the same time, and you have no aad what do you do?

See, it can get kind of ridiculous. This is one of the reasons that we try to teach critical thinking when we are teaching someone how to skydive. We can provide the answers for some of the things that happen most often or are the most common problems but you have to be able to react and figure something out when a situation you have not planned for or thought about arises.

One of the few reasons that I will turn someone away from AFF is if they show to me that they are incapable of thinking on their own. If I have to give them an answer to something (beyond the standard skydiving education) for them to not get killed it makes me very uncomfortable.

Also, for what it's worth, I can tell from your posts that you have never really ended up "low" in freefall. The reality of this is that at some point the ground starts getting closer and you will almost certainly notice. it has happend that people don't (4way team cypress fires for example) but you have to work pretty hard to not notice the ground coming up.

it's a visual thing. Really you need to stop trying to bend this question around and realize that all the people saying "use your eyes and look at the ground/horizon" are giving you the answer that you are desperately seeking.

That's my $0.02
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

As you gain experience you will begin to notice that at break-off time the ground/horizon will have a "look" that you will notice in your peripheral vision. Best I can describe is that for me it seemed the horizon was noticeably moving or closing in. Also, I always checked the cloud bases of different layers on the way up and made a mental note of their altitudes. You can use these flat cloud-bases as "checkpoints" during RW dives as you cross their plane while your attention is on the dive itself. Sometimes there would be up to three layers up to exit altitude. For example: 4k, 7k and maybe 11k. These cloud bases would generally lift as the day progressed. Just one more tool. This is probably more useful here in FL than it would be in, say, AZ. Looking at the other guy's alti is good too! :)

I have a pro-track which I can't hear except for the flat-line but continue to use because that should be enough and it makes an acceptable log book.

When my altimeter broke I jumped, broke-off when the rest of my group did, and pulled when it looked right.

The pro-track indicated that I'd dumped within 100 or 200 feet of where I usually pulled.

umm if I counted to 6000 even if I started counting from exit I would have much bigger problems then not having a working Altimeter....

I think the intent there was "one thousand, two thousand, three thousand ... etc." ... as a timing mechanism
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

I think the intent there was "one thousand, two thousand, three thousand ... etc." ... as a timing mechanism

Oh you mean like 1 banana 2 banana 3 banana 4... :ph34r: LOL I knew what she was getting at but counting to 6000 was funny :)

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Trust me, you'll know when you break 1000 feet :S

Poll options is sort of tongue in cheek.

But on a Solo jump (ok well very little of these still occur...) and you dont have a aad. what then?

bare in mind alti works fine for first half or so of jump , then after another check you realise oh ooh.

what then ?
Risk deploying the main under 1000ft ? immedietly go for reserve ?

Trust me, you'll know when you break 1000 feet :S

Poll options is sort of tongue in cheek.

But on a Solo jump (ok well very little of these still occur...) and you dont have a aad. what then?

bare in mind alti works fine for first half or so of jump , then after another check you realise oh ooh.

what then ?
Risk deploying the main under 1000ft ? immedietly go for reserve ?

If it appears that all the people on the ground are moving away from you ..... they are! :o

What if: You altimeter breaks, then you lose your goggles and cant see anything and both your arms get broken at the same time, and you have no aad what do you do?

Simple: Put my head between my legs and kiss my ass goodbye!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Simple: Put my head between my legs and kiss my ass goodbye!

I think you need to dirt dive this... and post pictures.

:o

Kinky ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Big difference if it is a group jump or solo. Group I would use cues from others in the group as well as eyeballs.

If I was solo I think I would turn and track perpendicular to jump run and deploy when I thought I was about the right height. I am not that experienced and while I think I would recognize the right height and pull pretty close to where I normally do, I would also like to increase my margin of error by getting away from potential others. I am always careful about clearing my airspace.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

On all jumps, I check my altitude when we reach the cloud base. (Most days in Fla, there are a few around 4,000)

The cloud base is a good ref point.

Also, watch some of your videos. You will notice that the
ground looks generally the same at break off.
I watched a lot of 4-way video and could tell when they were about to break off.

For the next 50 jumps, look at the ground at break off altitude and pull altitude.
Get an idea of how the trees look at the different heights.

Example - For me, at 4500 ft, the trees start to look less like clumps and more like individual trees.

You know what I mean:

One thousand, two thousand, three thousand, four thousand, five thousand, six thousand.

:D
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?