BecomeAddicted

Health insurance before being licensed by the USPA?

Oh don't worry about it!

You've got Obama-Care now!!

Us folks who work for a living and have real insurance... not mommy insurance... will pay for you if you hurt yourself skydiving!!!

Go for it!!!

:S

the only problem with your supposition is that with obamacare risky sports will probably be outlawed because it won't be fair to the rest of the population to pay for the injuries we incur taking such an extreme risk.

We're already starting to go down this road with smoking and obesity because obamacare forbids companies from denying coverage to anyone for any reason, so the only way to "contain costs" is not just to ration health care itself, but to discourage and ultimately prohibit certain activities and behaviors that lead to increased levels of care.

All overseen of course, by federal bureaucrats who do not produce anything except systemic friction and whom are paid with the redistributed wealth of people who do work -- in the private sector.

look for it in the coming months and years -- rhetoric that americans do not have a "right" to skydive, rock climb, ride motorcycles, et al, because it will cost too much to fix us when we break.

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

Yes, I would rather risk (not having health insurance). The money you would save not having insurance (assuming you're healthy and invest the amount as I am/have) would pay for your $30000 surgery in 7.5 years.

Otherwise, if you don't get just injured, you get to keep the money.

+1

Kinda funny how some of the posters can't seem to get their heads around the notion that, instead of having "health insurance," you just pay for health care if you get hurt or sick.

It's kinda like the car insurance example you mentioned. Yes, most states require liability insurance so if you hit someone else, they are covered, but you can choose whether or not to have collision and comprehensive insurance -- i.e., if you hit something or someone, you have to pay to get your own car fixed instead of having your insurance do it.

Rush Limbaugh paid for his treatment when he had his heart problem in Hawaii last year. The lefties tried to make a big deal out of the fact the he could pay for it because he was rich, but the bill was in the $15,000 range, which means only about ONE YEAR of premiums for a lot of people.

And get this -- even "mandatory" car insurance has a "self-insurance" opt-out option in a lot of states; if you agree to pay for -- and can prove that you can pay for -- any damages, then you don't have to buy the insurance.

So back to the topic at hand: The OP needs to either buy his own policy that covers catastrophic injuries ONLY (unlike "health insurance") or he needs to build up that bank account enough that he can pay for his ER and ortho surgery visits...

except, oh wait, insurance companies won't be allowed to offer that kind of coverage any more... EVERY health or hospital insurance plan will by federal law include pregnancy testing services, mental health services, preventive screenings for a host of problems the OP won't have to deal with for another 30 years...

Young feller, it looks as if you're going to have to build up that bank accoutn... except wait... your taxes will be going up soon too...

oh well, there's always bowling...

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

Try www.ehealthinsurance.com. Look for insurance with very high deductibles (like in the $5,000 range). That's what people mean when they're talking about "catastrophic insurance." You'd pay out of pocket for routine stuff but if you have a major injury or illness, once you've paid off the deductible, you'll start getting coverage.

If you're young (which I assume you are since you're still on your parents' coverage) you may even be able to get more comprehensive insurance on your own at a decent rate.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yes, I would rather risk (not having health insurance). The money you would save not having insurance (assuming you're healthy and invest the amount as I am/have) would pay for your $30000 surgery in 7.5 years.

Otherwise, if you don't get just injured, you get to keep the money.

+1

Kinda funny how some of the posters can't seem to get their heads around the notion that, instead of having "health insurance," you just pay for health care if you get hurt or sick.

It's not that simple.

I can choose to self-insure my car for collision and comprehensive coverage and pay less than the insurance company would to get it fixed by some one competent but lacking an ASE certification. Both the insurance and repairs come out of money which has already been taxed.

Without health insurance, I'm going to be paying a _lot_ more because I can't get the rates the insurers have negotiated with health care providers and there's no end-run around the AMA. $300 in blood work that I might negotiate to $150 can be $12 at the insurance company's rates.

With health insurance, most Americans can pay with pre-tax dollars which can make our money go 100% farther than it would with post-tax money. Without, medical expenses are mostly paid with post-tax money (all earned income is subject to FICA/Medicare, and medical expenses are only deductable to the extent they exceed 7.5% of your AGI when itemizing which only makes sense once you exceed the standard deduction).

So back to the topic at hand: The OP needs to either buy his own policy that covers catastrophic injuries ONLY (unlike "health insurance") or he needs to build up that bank account enough that he can pay for his ER and ortho surgery visits...

except, oh wait, insurance companies won't be allowed to offer that kind of coverage any more... EVERY health or hospital insurance plan will by federal law include pregnancy testing services, mental health services, preventive screenings for a host of problems the OP won't have to deal with for another 30 years...

And there can be no more than a 3:1 price difference based on age, so young healthy people will be paying far more than they did before.

Lets keep politics out of this post. If you want to talk about the new Federal heath insurance plans take it to Speakers Corner.

I agree with Brandon on all aspects of this. I've seen 10-15 skydivers break themselves in the last 3-4 years and that is a fraction of the injuries every weekend at dropzones and most had insurance. Bills on a non-coverage for a simple leg break (fairly common) ran the jumper about 15k. If you can't afford the $50 or less a month for high deductible insurance ($5000+) then skydiving might be out of your price point for now.

Contact most insurance plan and ask for details around a high deductible plan, this will pay out in the worst cases where you really hurt your self but the majority of the time you are back to paying your bills on your own.

https://quote.unitedhealthone.com/PlansList.aspx is an example but quotes for me were from $38-56 a month for either 5000 or 10000 deductible limits and a 70/30 or 80/20 plan.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Lets keep politics out of this post. If you want to talk about the new Federal heath insurance plans take it to Speakers Corner.

I agree with Brandon on all aspects of this. I've seen 10-15 skydivers break themselves in the last 3-4 years and that is a fraction of the injuries every weekend at dropzones and most had insurance. Bills on a non-coverage for a simple leg break (fairly common) ran the jumper about 15k. If you can't afford the $50 or less a month for high deductible insurance ($5000+) then skydiving might be out of your price point for now.

Contact most insurance plan and ask for details around a high deductible plan, this will pay out in the worst cases where you really hurt your self but the majority of the time you are back to paying your bills on your own.

https://quote.unitedhealthone.com/PlansList.aspx is an example but quotes for me were from $38-56 a month for either 5000 or 10000 deductible limits and a 70/30 or 80/20 plan.

Yeah... United Health care... good luck with that. When Bolas ripped my shoulder apart.. did you know it was a pre existing condition?

Lots of money out of pocket later and I want to hunt some fucking United Health Care insurance executives down to show them what pain REALLY fucking feels like.>:(>:(>:(>:(

Ugh! That sucks! Thanks for the info though guys....

Any ideas of what to do regarding my own health insurance? Has anyone on here run into the same problem?

If you sprain an ankle or break something just tell the doctor you did it somewhere else...."I fell grocery shopping"
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

Ugh! That sucks! Thanks for the info though guys....

Any ideas of what to do regarding my own health insurance? Has anyone on here run into the same problem?

If you sprain an ankle or break something just tell the doctor you did it somewhere else...."I fell grocery shopping"

see post #9

From a social responsibility point it is piss poor to bust yourself up and expect the rest of us to care for you and foot your bill, just because you are too irresponsible to get health insurance.

Not to get into a pissing contest...but...when you pay your health care insurance payment you are already paying for the people that get injured or sick,not just for your own health.

Insurance is a bet. You bet you're going to get hurt...but buy insurance against it.

And if you buy health insurance and pay taxes you are already paying for other people without insurance.

Try telling the IRS you don't want to...

Just a perspective of mine.

hangdiver over and out...

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

Insurance is a bet. You bet you're going to get hurt...but buy insurance against it.

Personally I like to look at it as "its a bet for my future financial status." Since if I have even a seemingly minor injury that requires medical care, it could significantly effect my future financial well being.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."