decompresion

In case I land off, I...

It does kind of mark me as old, doesn't it :$
Field-packing is when you're stuck with an open parachute in a place where it's inappropriate to pack; e.g. the rest of your group is already waiting by the road, or the field is wet and muddy or full of thorns. So you:

• daisy chain your lines

• stuff the slider through the end

• stuff what you can into your container (NOT into the bag) with lots hanging out

• use your pull-up cord to tie it shut

• That allows you to walk out with your rig on your back; it's easier on your back, and allows you to use your hands to move branches & fences out of the way.

Wendy P.
    There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've seen that expression before, but I don't really understand what it involves. Would you kindly explain how a 'field-pack' differs from a normal pack job? Thanks.

I think what it means (or what it means to me anyway) is chaining up the linesand just stuffing the whole canopy, pc, and d-bag into the main container then just closing it up. Of course, you have to leave enough bridal hanging out to use the closing pin, but Im pretty sure thats how I would do it if I knew I had a long way to walk.
    Muff #5048

I once landed off and was picked up on the roadside and given a short ride back to DZ. Gave what I thought was $4 to the guy and said “thanks, here’s a few dollars for a beer”. He seemed overly happy and said “that’s more than a beer costs”. To which I replied “no problem you’ve been quite helpful”.

Later when I went to pay for lunch I realised the missing $20 from my pocket as I had tipped him $24 – then I understood why he was so pleased with my tip.

Good public relations:D:D
    If he told his friends I can see them driving around looking to find jumpers who have landed off and need a ride back.:)

I seem to recall a couple old stories about people jumping them like that... the lines being daisy chaned acted as a reefing device and made it so it didnt kill them on opening.

I wouldnt try it though.

or would i?:)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
    DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
    I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I landed off at right around 50 jumps. Blame it on poor spotting. The four of us doing RW realized at about 5k where we were and broke off early. I realized immediately on opening we weren't gonna make it back and followed the most experienced guy there to the best out we had: a small cornfield next to a community pool.

It was like my 3rd jump on the canopy, and when I turned to final (I turned a bit early) I knew i was headed for power lines so I did a flat turn 180 to down-wind it into the heart of the cornfield.

Didn't have a pullup cord with me, but I was the only one with a phone so I called manifest to let them know where we were. We ended up getting a ride back with the local sheriff who saw us landing. Now I always keep a pullup cord in my rig and I would be much more confident landing off again now that I've done it once (beer was bought & enjoyed)
    This shit, right here, is OK

That allows you to walk out with your rig on your back; it's easier on your back, and allows you to use your hands to move branches & fences out of the way.

Also, it keeps you from getting snatched off the back of
    the pickup on your ride back.

"I thought she was riding back with us... guess not."