Viking

Getting current after a year off.

What would be the smartest way?

First thing that popped into my head was that i would have to go all the way back and do an aff 7 or something.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Here, you'd need to do just that. With an A licence and a year off, former students of mine need to sit in on the 1st jump course, perform
harness training and do an AFF L7 with me. Since we still use ripcord equiped rigs for AFF, I do the L7 with "familiar gear" which is usually BOC/AAD with a moderately loaded canopy. (Not exceeding 1.1 - we're 5000ft AMSL)

Nice people (like you) who have nearly 100 dives (like you) and links to the skydiving community (like you) who left in body but never in spirit (like you) should be able to make some deal with someone with a rating for a case of beer and slots or something. I never charge former students of mine to get recurrent. The fewer hurdles there are, the more likely they are to return.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I took about 12 years off and when I returned 2 years ago
thats just what I did.

I sat through the FJC again, did harness training, and did an AFF jump with 1 instructor.

They didnt charge me for the class and training though, I just sat through a class that already had several students in it.

I paid for my slot, and the slot of my instructor (who I knew from before)
did well on that one jump, and got signed off to return to regular jumping.

Your DZ might have a different pricing schedule though. I cant speak
to what you might be charged. Only what a COOL dz would charge :)
__

My mighty steed

i took 26 years off, and when i came back, everyone was flying these funny looking "ram air" canopies with cells and shit... :P

i did a tandem to see how they landed, then got really hooked on the new age of skydiving. my recurrency was 16 AFF lessons, and a lot of humility. i still suck, but i'm safe, and anyone will jump with me. probably because i always bring beer to the dz...

has anyone seen my walker?

I never charge former students of mine to get recurrent. The fewer hurdles there are, the more likely they are to return.

That'd be nice... I was gone for 3 months for a military deployment, needed a coach jump to get recurrent, and couldnt even use a local non-dz- employed coach, ... had to pay the DZ for one of their coaches, $$$. I had connections, just couldnt use them. :|

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I never charge former students of mine to get recurrent. The fewer hurdles there are, the more likely they are to return.

That'd be nice... I was gone for 3 months for a military deployment, needed a coach jump to get recurrent, and couldnt even use a local non-dz- employed coach, ... had to pay the DZ for one of their coaches, $$$. I had connections, just couldnt use them. :|

thats one thing i don't like about bigger dz's is that if you let it slip your trying to get recurrent they make you use there school and it usually costs $70.

also means its easier to sneak by if you have your buddy manifest you both. :) Had to do that once at perris.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

and it usually costs $70.

Think it was more than that... but yea, I was actually pretty pissed about it, ... The thing that really pissed me off more than anything though was that a coach from the DZ that didnt work there could of had me up early in the day, recurrent, and I could have had alot of fun that day... Instead I got a coach jump at the *END* of the day, near the last load, and it was the only jump I got after sitting on the DZ the whole day. It wasnt like the instructers needed more work, they were busy, ... but now I'm ranting, and getting pissed thinking about it, so I need to stop >:(

Seriously....

Edited to add: And no, I'm not going to specify which DZ it was (someone PMd me asking), and it is not necessarily the DZ in my profile, mabey it is, mabey it isnt.. No comment.!

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I was off for exactly a year...

call the time off a "series of bad decisions"...

at any rate, my recurrency consisted of about 30min to an hour of classroom training and EP practice. After that it was plan a dive (I chose FF, because I am more comfortable with that) and execute the dive.

Just paid for the Instructors slot was all. Course I knew him, so that changes it up a bit.

I would say worst case scenario you pay for FJC, an Instructor, and their jump ticket. Best case scenario you get informal classroom training and pay the Instructors slot.

Have fun, don't forget to pull ;)
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

Think it was more than that... but yea, I was actually pretty pissed about it, ... The thing that really pissed me off more than anything though was that a coach from the DZ that didnt work there could of had me up early in the day, recurrent, and I could have had alot of fun that day... Instead I got a coach jump at the *END* of the day, near the last load, and it was the only jump I got after sitting on the DZ the whole day. It wasnt like the instructers needed more work, they were busy, ... but now I'm ranting, and getting pissed thinking about it, so I need to stop >:(

I thought of a rather silly and stupid idea...

Pay for a tandem! Then, tell them you won't jump tandem, but let the dropzone keep the money anyway, and demand coach training/jump in lieu of a tandem! ;)

Just half-kidding though...

I was in a similar situation...although with less jumps [about 60 total] my CCI went through a condensed AFF ground school and said that he was happy for me to do a solo or he would take me on an AFF if I wanted. In the end [I had time due to a day of crappy weather] I got several opinions and I decided to do a solo. I never had a problem with getting stable and I jump a nice big friendly Spectre so I was confident I could get stable and pull by 4k. As it turned out it was fine, it really is like riding a bike, as soon as i was in the door it all came back and from then on it was easy, just did a few turns and pulled nice and high.

I think it comes down with what you are comfortable with, initially I was set on an AFF level to get current again but after being at the DZ and talking to instructors I got my confidence back. I passed over a load going to 5k as my first jump as I wanted lots of altitude to 'play' with. In the end I jumped and set myself the only goal of landing safely in the PLA. With 8k feet to get stable and a big canopy that was pretty acheivable.

Have fun.
A

------------------------------------------------

"All men can fly, but sadly, only in one direction"

I had to take six months off after getting a hook turn repair kit installed in my right leg. My recurrency was just as Tonto said it, in fact it was with him :D

We went up and did a jump very similar to an AFF L7. Unlinked exit, stable. Horizontal levels, left and right turns, wave and pull at 5 grand i think. I jumped my own gear.

All good.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm only like 3 months uncurrent (been very busy with other stuff lately), and I was just sitting here thinking about skydiving. I miss it a lot. To be honest, I'm glad that there are people in here I know who have sat out far longer than 3 months. Makes me not feel as bad.

I bought a brand new rig last winter and only have 3 jumps on it too. :ph34r: Ahh shit... I need to jump.

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

I just got my butt in the air again Sunday after about 8 months of working two jobs and barely even seeing the DZ.

Got my recurrency training from Glen Bangs (Who better to do it?!) and it took about a half hour of going over gear, procedure, malfunctions, etc. Had I scheduled it through manifest I would have had to pay. I got lucky that Glen happened to be there while I was whining about getting current again and said he had time and would do it right then. :)
When I had my twins I took 3 years off...that time I only had about 20 jumps so I sat through ground school (listened in to a class already happening) and did 2 quasi level 4 jumps with an AFF instructor who said I was good to go.

BettyAnn

Getting married? Check out my website!