sbrock99

Fall rate help

Hello all, I am a new skydivier (34 jumps so far) I have been working really had to get better at the sport but so far the biggest problem that I am running into is my fall rate. I am 6ft tall and weight in at 235 (260 jump weight) I fall like a bag of iron. I need help to slow my fall rate so I can do some RW work and not just be the base every time. Being base has helped me learn to be really, really stable but my flying has suffered since I never get to fly in and dock. Please give me any tips on ways to slow my fall rate.

Thanks all,

Rookie

I'm an inch taller and a good bit heavier than you. Here's what I did.

I bought a well built RW suit that was designed to help my fall rate. Thick material, baggy, big booties, baggy arms, etc.

The most important thing that helped me was good quality RW coaching. It taught me how to fly my body and fly that suit.

You have to dress for success and you have to know what to do with it!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

aside from a suit, any tips on body position??? I've tried hugging a beach ball and while that slowed me down, it still didn't slow me down enough.

Beachball isn't the right way to think and try. Think more like a cat that's falling.

Skydiving is not something that can be taught or learned over the internet, you need a well qualified in person coach.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have the exact same problem, I jumped with 3 other guys on Sunday, They all left the plane linked and i left about a second later, I started to slow down as i was getting closer but still went lower and never docked, Im 6'3" 255 exit weight. I plan on ordering a suit and getting some more tunnel time. I feel your pain. Ive been told to try and fall like an angry bear

aside from a suit, any tips on body position??? I've tried hugging a beach ball and while that slowed me down, it still didn't slow me down enough.

Beachball isn't the right way to think and try. Think more like a cat that's falling.

Skydiving is not something that can be taught or learned over the internet, you need a well qualified in person coach.

Get yourself in a proper tunnel with a proper high quality coach. A small amount of time early on can help you immensely.
Remster

The suit is non-negotiable for a big guy or a lightweight. It has to be right, or you'll never be able to play with the average sized jumpers. Anyone who suggests that you just 'fly your body' and that a suit is not the key is not a big guy or a lightweight. Physics is not on your side, but jumpsuit manufacturers are.

Any one of the better know manufacturers can make a big-boy suit. Bev happens to make a nice one, and if you call her and tell her you need to slow down, she can put one together for you that will do the trick.

Until that comes in, avoid jumping with anyone that looks remotely lightweight, or even average. Find a bigger guy, and stick to two ways. It will give you the chance to fly and work on your skills.

If you want coaching, ask around the DZ which AFF instructor is the fastest. Every DZ has a go-to guy for the big boys, and he will match whatever fall rate you can come up with, and you'll get all the practice you need.

The tunnel is a fine idea provided you live near a tunnel. Otherwise, spend your travel and tunnel money on a jumpsuit (pay for the rush service, you'll have it in two weeks) more jumps, and maybe a coach slot or two.

Once you have the suit, you can go back to learning as you go jumping with anyone you want, just like everyone else. If you want to learn a a quicker pace than that, take your suit up with a coach or to the tunnel.

I am 6 foot and 245. Try a Deepseed Multispeed Suit, ask for it extra baggy. It is a little pricey, but well worth the money. Very well made and durable. I use it on AFFI jumps with medium students and it slows my fall rate (with slow fall body adjustment) to the high teens.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Yep, the tunnel rocks. You have more jumps than I do so you're probably better at flying anyway but I know I definitely took a LOT away with me after only getting 20 minutes of tunnel time.

Assuming you haven't had any tunnel time?.... anyway... in a wind tunnel you can arch, get stable, then see how de-arching slowly lets you climb up whereas in free fall (I would imagine anyway) that you can't tell the difference in your fall rate as well. Maybe you can relative to other jumpers.

I'm hoping more experienced people will ellaborate on some of what I've touched on, for my own education as well as anybody elses that reads.

Anyone who suggests that you just 'fly your body' and that a suit is not the key is not a big guy or a lightweight. Physics is not on your side, but jumpsuit manufacturers are.

+1

Its even worse if you are extra heavy due to muscle mass because you lift weights.

A 5' 10", 210 lb weight lifter with a 32 inch waist (me) is going to fall way faster than a 5' 10", 210 lb fat guy.

This has been my curse. I've been hearing people tell me for years that I need to fly my body, but every one that ever told me that weighed 160 lbs or less :)

Learn to fly your body AND get a suit that gives you a chance.

This year I got a poly cotton suit from Bev with liner, booties, and extra baggy and BAM!

I suddenly enjoy skydiving about 100% more because I'm no longer the guy that cant slow the hell down.
__

My mighty steed

I had the same problem, in fact a group I was jumping with once nick named me "The Rock".

[sarcasm]Those people telling you to get a suit and "learn to fly your body" are wrong. The correct approach is to jump with more experienced people and make them wear weights[/sarcasm]

In all seriousness the advice here is great, get a good slow suit and some tunnel time can do wonders for learning to control your fall rate.

I had the same problems at about the first 50 or so jumps. Initially I jumped a stock freefly suit and dropped like a rock. Went to a custom Bodysport crater suit with full grippers, and booties.; no problem docking on variety of jumpers. Did anybody teach you knee turns also ? I learned these in the tunnel and they were by far the best RW skill I ever learned. I have been doing a limited amount of Freefly stuff now with that original freefly suit and I really have to concentrate on slowing down before pulling, its way faster than the Crater. Also Triathalon canopies rule on big people I think, I love the consistent soft openings !