msinc77

Good literature for rookies?

Hi there all.

Just wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction of an excellent book for a rookie skydiver?

Many thanks

Mark

This should always be a part of your skydiving reading material. Most people jump to asking question without bothering to reference this first. But I am sure you probably already know about it;)
http://www.uspa.org/SIM.aspx
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

The Skydivers Handbook by Dan Poynter ...lots of great info and it's a good read. Not too boring or technical and even though some of the information is repetitive (assuming you've read the SIM or the Safety section on this site) can you really go wrong by reading some of this stuff twice? I know I can't because my memory isn't what it used to be and the stuff you know could save your life.

The Parachute and its Pilot is a great one for a new guy. I started reading it after I had been experimenting with my canopy and it made me realize how close I had come to having a few inadvertent malfunctions. For instance, when stalling your canopy, don't bring the toggles up as fast as they'll go. I got lucky on that one and a few others. The book starts off with the basics and then goes into stuff that will be way over your head, but hang on to it and you'll use that info later on down the road.

I read both the Skydiver's Handbook and the Parachute and Its Pilot. (Both mentioned above.) The first is a good intro to many basic concepts. A good student-status book. Germain's book was very interesting. I learned a ton and will certainly be revisiting it several times.

So get them both. And search for general articles. I found a good website with safety articles a while ago, but I can't find the link... You get the idea.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

I have and read. . .

the parachute and its pilot (Germain)
the SIM
skydiving handbook (Poynter&Turoff)
mental training for skydiving and life (DeRosalia)
transcending fear (also Germain)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.