veter_

I jump neither Sabre 2 nor Sabre 1 and have a hard opening in X jumps (on average)

By "hard opening" I mean an opening that at least causes pain.

Divide the number of jumps you made on a canopy other than Sabre 2 or Sabre 1 by the number of hard openings, and choose the closest number from the poll options.

If you jump Sabre 2, please respond to the poll "I jump Sabre 2 and have a hard opening in X jumps (on average)"

My only jump on a Lotus 190 beat me like I was an ugly red-headed stepchild. I opened it at 8k msl and I probably packed it wrong, but it was still a week before I was right again.

My Hornet 190 opened painfully hard a few times but I think that's under control. About 150 openings since the last.

As a student I got a lot of painful crotch-bruising openings on skymasters. I didn't count those because I usually didn't pack them.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I got the shit smacked out of me on a couple of occasions by a ZP.EXE so I bought a Pilot. I figured it was more that canopy than the design though. Extreme packing would alleviate the problem.

Anyone want to buy a lovely well behaved ZP.EXE...? great canopy... no...?

i voted 300, 2 hard ones, VERY hard.. on my Safire2... Never blamed it on the canopy... Since then I learned how to quarter a slider [:/]
Now all my openings are smooth as warm butter.... :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I've had 2 slammers (well, 3 if you count the no-suit terminal opening on an unmodified 24' round :o) in almost 1000 jumps on squares. A Firefly and a Diablo. The Firefly was definitely my own packing mistake, the Diablo was just bad luck -- it's been lovely otherwise.

Shit happens. If it happens really often, you might need to look at where you're standing...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So based on the results so far it looks like the Sabre 2 is the safest canopy ever made. All other canopies open hard on average once ever 157.7 jumps. Yea for Sabre 2! Geeze… your rants make me believe the old adage that “people will believe what they want to believe regardless of what the facts are.”

Let me think just off the top of my head I know people that have recently had hard openings on Stiletto’s, Spectre’s, Pilot’s, Sabre 1’s, and Safire 2’s. It can happen on any canopy any time. There are now over 6,000 Sabre 2’s on the market, that is probably more than any other canopy still in the air. Most of them are going to low time jumpers as it is a reasonably mid range performance canopy. Most of the hard openings I’ve heard of are from beginners packing for themselves…what could go wrong there?!?!?!? Beyond that the rate of hard openings appears to be no different than any other canopy. I’ve put almost 600 jumps on Sabre 2’s. The only hard opening I’ve ever had was directly due to my packing error when I was learning to pack. All I need to do to get an 800 foot snivel is to make sure the slider is firmly against the stops…guess what I do now every time I pack.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP