mazevedo

Lineover - When it comes on your reserve?

I heard a lot about how to proceed when you have a lineover, but I didn`t find anything when it happens on your reserve.
I saw a b.a.s.e. video and the jumper used a hooknife to solve the problem. I guess it is the only way to do if you are in low altitude.

This would be a good procedure to use on your main? As if you try to fix it with flares or turns maybe you will have your canopy burned. And if you cutaway its not 100% chances that your reserve will open.

Blue skies

usually people reserve (no pun intended) the hook knife for their reserve. Trust your equipment, your reserve is there to be used. If you have a line over on your main, its probably pretty high speed, pump your toggles once to try to clear it, and if it doesnt clear stop fucking around with it and cut away and pull your reserve. At least thats what I think, any other comments?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

On the reserve, you don't have much choice, cut it or clear it.

On the main it would be extremely difficult and if successful, leave you at low altitude, with one brake still set, possibly/probably in line twists, having to use the rear risers to steer and flare. If you take the time to try and don't suceed, you are low on altitude, still with a malfunctioning main.

I tried it with an intentional cutaway rig. Even though I knew it was coming, didn't have to worry about altitude, even knew which line it was, I couldn't cut it.

If you have a line-over on your main, get rid of it.

Hook

I heard a lot about how to proceed when you have a lineover, but I didn`t find anything when it happens on your reserve.
I saw a b.a.s.e. video and the jumper used a hooknife to solve the problem. I guess it is the only way to do if you are in low altitude.

This would be a good procedure to use on your main? As if you try to fix it with flares or turns maybe you will have your canopy burned. And with you cutaway its not 100% chances that your reserve will open.

Blue skies

I had just such a problem at Elsinore some years back.

Main was knotted so I chopped it...Reserve was spinning with a line-over...

I have it on video somewhere...the camera man can be heard saying,
"Jeeze, bet he wishes he had his main back!"

Quick surgery with a hook knife got it flying okay...

A good reminder to ALWAYS carry one!

Went to the rigger, who always made a video of the packing and sure enough...
This person didn't have a manual on my new reserve, and we watched as the packing procedure followed, set up the canopy for a line-over malfunction.

In response to the second part of your post...

I would still cut away a line-over on the main...

I of all people know the reserve isn't 100%...

But if I didn't truly trust it I wouldn't jump.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yep, the trick is finding the right line to cut. It is going to be chaos at best. Trying to clear it will likely saw a big hole like a cheese slicer.

My good buddy Dave DeWolf told me he always carries a knife just in case he had a line over on his reserve. And this is one of the best master riggers in the country.

Even a perfectly packed reserve can malfunction.

On a main? Chop it.
Onward and Upward!

Yep, the trick is finding the right line to cut. It is going to be chaos at best.

True, and it's surprising how fast and easy a hook knife with an adrenaline boost can slice through a line, get the right ONE and only the one. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I cleared a lineover on a Nav 260 on by just pumping the shit out of the breaks. Took about 8 very hard full pumps. Exciting first solo. I would try that first. Cutting lines could go very wrong very quickly if you didn't do it exactly right you might make a barely survivable situation not survivable by cutting a few wrong lines...

What are the chances of living through landing a spinning lineover on a 1:1 canopy? That Shawna(?) chick landed on on asphalt and lived right? (despite being pretty broken) Would she be more the exception or are your odds pretty good for at least living after spinning in a lightly loaded canopy? (a strong case for a big reserve)

We've got a river near my DZ. If I had a line over on my reserve, and cutting the line is unsuccessful for whatever reason... thats where I'm taking it. Of course, I would have little say in the matter because I would be spinning, so I would just have to hope that jump run that day took me over the river. Yes- I realize how unlikely it would be to accomplish this, but you never give up!

We've got a river near my DZ. If I had a line over on my reserve, and cutting the line is unsuccessful for whatever reason... thats where I'm taking it. Of course, I would have little say in the matter because I would be spinning, so I would just have to hope that jump run that day took me over the river. Yes- I realize how unlikely it would be to accomplish this, but you never give up!

When I go in, it will be with hook knives in both hands, and toggles in my feet...;)

not all line overs spin, a friend of mine had one and it flew quite well until he unstowed the toggles!

So if for some odd reason you don't have a hook knife and have a line over on your reserve and its flying relatively well, I'm assuming your best bet would be just to leave the toggles stowed and use rear risers?

Also perhaps depends on how much you are loading your reserve and on how light/strong the wind is that day.
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Hi maze,

A little 'off topic' but back in '78, a friend and I were jumping at 'Smell-some-more' and, on one jump, when he went for his P/C pud it just was not there. So he pulled his reserve ( a 26 ft Lo-Po ) and had a line-over. People on the ground, not knowing that this was NOT his main, were screaming at him to 'CUTAWAY & USE YOUR RESERVE.' So he screamed back, 'I CAN'T, THIS IS MY RESERVE.'

JerryBaumchen