flipwithit

thinkin about campin at lodi for a couple months...

its free when you're jumping right?

anyway, i've got the $$$ stashed to be able to pursure a new venture in life and i hate my job even though its good money. ive got nothing keeping me where i am other than that false sense of security a roof and deadbolt can give you . im 23 and i want nothing more than to just to let go of everything and experience freedom...and ive already got the ball rolling.

a couple years ago it was living out of a mobile home racing motorcycles...but that drains money wayyyyyyy to fast and extremely hard to make a career without being close to the right people, even if you are fast. i experienced skydiving earlier this year and did my aff very soon after and i saw that people get along the same way racers do, soldiers do, or any death defying community...and i love that kind of connection.

i gave my landlord my 1 month notice...im outta here the end of the month. im going to move what little im keeping into my fathers house in san jose. get a few good last meals in, a couple extra nights of awesome sleep on my tempurpedic bed, and then live out of my car for as long as i possibly can!

it looks like i can afford 50-100 jumps (if theres that many loads in the winter) a month for a few months...i'm hoping to become a familiar face at the dropzone and hopefully prove to bill im worthy of a job when the weather gets a lot nicer. thats a wishful goal, but what my main purpose of this little journey is to suit up in a wingsuit! just 191 to go :ph34r:

ive already met a few of you lodi jumpers on this website, and looking forward to meeting everyone...so if you're making some jumps in lodi around jan feb and march, id be more than happy to jump with you! tho you'd probably be doing me more of a favor, haha.

heres my last 2 jumps i made in septemeber...damn its been way too long!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7loRbVUSUBw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZbKugZpUk4

If you want to work at a DZ, learn to pack. Good packers make a fair amount of $$$. The work isn't easy, but busy days can pay fairly well.

Do the math yourself: Pack jobs typically pay ~$6 each. Skilled packers can do a pack job in something like 6 minutes (lots of variance here). That grosses out to ~$60/hr.

Good packers are often tipped as well.

Of course there are lots of variables that can decrease revenue:
-- Bad WX
-- Slow packing
-- Your reputation
-- Competition

Good Luck!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

we must just use difference signals.....i mean, he was australian :P in l6 he gave me check alti, track that way, do a 360, check legs, alti, dock, alti, come here, track that way, and then pull at 5. the jump plan was always pull at 5 and the 2 dytters were set to go off at 6k....so for my last 5-6 seconds im well aware of what i need to do :)

thanks for the advice and kind words. i do already own a rig. its waiting for a reserve repack, new aad and main inspect. i might not be doing things the most conventional way, or by the book, but im going to show up and do what bill says is okay for me to do! he wont let me do anything i shouldnt be. and paying for coaching jumps shouldnt be an issue, just means i can only afford a 50 pack that month.

If you want to work at a DZ, learn to pack. Good packers make a fair amount of $$$. The work isn't easy, but busy days can pay fairly well.

Do the math yourself: Pack jobs typically pay ~$6 each. Skilled packers can do a pack job in something like 6 minutes (lots of variance here). That grosses out to ~$60/hr.

Good packers are often tipped as well.

Of course there are lots of variables that can decrease revenue:
-- Bad WX
-- Slow packing
-- Your reputation
-- Competition

Good Luck!

Ahh Hummmmm...This Idea only works if you check with the local packers and rigger's...It is NOT a walk in business anymore at many DZ's, ..Not only do you have the locals, that already hold the job, but you have better get cleared by a well known rigger...

If you come with a team, that is a different story...

You are right - that was a "typical" DZdotcom snide remark and I appolozize...

OK, Positive, critique, positive...

-GREAT JOB finishing your AFF and Welcome to the sport.

-As others have suggested, speak with others at the DZ and get a feel for what you are looking in to. I started jumping then worked with a rigger and packed to pay for my first instructor ratings. Then worked with the first rating to earn the next one... However, one injury (and a lot of instructors have had more than one) can really set you back.. So, I would still advise any person to continue with a 'day' (or night) job, continue your education, or look into some other vocation along with skydiving. Even Skydiving as a 2nd job is a tough one to make a "living."

-I'm glad you are so excited about the sport and you should stick with it and share your positive experence with others...

-->Ok, that last "positive" was a little tough to choke out:D

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

Great job on your AFF jumps. You look pretty comfortable up there. The weather is going to be real hit and miss soon for a little while. So hopefully that will not damper your plans all to much.
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

It is funny. When someone says yeah, become a packer.
What about packer that are there already????
Aren't you taking his money away??? Do you think the packer wil let anyone waltz in and take away his or her business????get real
And bill d pays 5 bukcs for everything, including tandems
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Aren't you taking his money away??? Do you think the packer wil let anyone waltz in and take away his or her business????get real

I think it's funny when people think that there is big big money in packing in the first place.... I mean, get real. :P
=========Shaun ==========

thanks again for all the new input! and no worries teb...i understand my spot in the skydiving world at this point in time. dangerous sports require extreme attention to detail...racing is no different. you ever crash at 120mph because your tire pressure that cold morning dropped 5psi...and you forgot to check it. the little stuff means everything at the limit and gear checks is something that is engraved me now...thanks for tryin hard for that last positive too ;)

such a shame that happens at the dz. thieves would show up at the track once or twice a season...but its such a great community. if that happened, we'd usually pass around a box during the riders meeting and you'd get a couple hundred people donating $20 bucks to help out a fellow racer.

i already live in a total tweaker town (eureka ca.) i will never lock my car and i never leave anything i give a shit about in it anymore. earlier this year i had a $2200 rifle stolen out of my car when i was buyin ammo in town to go shoot! broke the window and didnt even open the door to set off the alarm. if i leave my car with something in it...the dog stays in the car too. have fun stealing her! i still have a terrible hate for thieves...so maybe ill get bored and set up a sting at nights...oh i'd love to catch me a thievin tweak...if its a fellow jumper i'd probably take their picture and send it to all the drop zones!!! and no they wouldnt be getting away THAT easy either :ph34r:

as far as getting jobs and people "taking" jobs...im not too concerned at the moment...sure i love skydiving, and i'd love a job involving something im actually passionate about, but i also know what happens when something becomes a job!

teb, im glad you mentioned injuries too. not many like to hear or accept that part of this sport (racing too,) but i realise i definitely need insurance!!! i've been thinking about it awhile but havnt really been calling around...so if anyone has suggestions on insurance companies, im all ears! not lookin for check up bullsh*t...just something that will cover broken bones if such a thing happens.

skyrider, great news!

skycamefalling, much thanks and i hear ya on the weather...on the rainy days i can always head back to san jose for my bed, but i'll sit out the rainy days too. i dropped my rig off when it was raining and i ended up choppin it up with bill and some jumpers for some time!

ik ived talked about it so much...its because i miss it way more! but here is me at my best...competitive racing is something thats in my past though...time to move forward (picture attached)

I think it's funny when people think that there is big big money in packing in the first place.... I mean, get real. :P

gotta justify it somehow dont ya B|
"nahh baby i promise theres a minimum of 12 jumps a day at lodi.....you know how many parachutes that is!?" HA!