rhys

Frequent aviation oxygen use and its effect on the throat and sinus.

Hi,

I did a bit of a search but did not find any information specific to my query.

I have been doing quite a few jumps from 15k and 18k lately and we use oxygen every time we go above 12k.

I have been noticing my throat has been scratchy and my work collegues have noticed similar effects and dry sinuses.

I tend to breath more with my mouth so have not noticed any sinus issues.

Just wondering if anyone here (potentially in the medical field) may know about any long term bad effects this may cause.

Our 18k jumps are very popular and we seldom even jump at 12k on some days. I might put my oxygen on a little later to help a bit but I also don't want the tiredness from not using it enough.

We have a -27 porter so we usually only have it on for 4-8 minutes but 7-8 times a day equals about 3/4 of an hour + on oxy each working day.

Can't complain too much though, I got 85,000 feet of freefall today out of 7 jumps:P (5 x 18k and 2 x 15k). But it does concern me that over time this may have an adverse effect on my health.

Any advice out there?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I suspect that you might be feeling the effects of breathing a totally dry gas. This causes dehydration of the mucous membranes and the symptoms you describe. A similar effect is noticed by scuba divers.

It should not cause any permanent damage and the best thing you can do to prevent it is stay well-hydrated during the day's jumping. Try that before cutting down on the O2 use!

Hope that helps.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

You didn't ask, but I'd suggest a search on this forum in reference to hypoxia. That can be a lot more serious than a sore throat or being tired.

With the number of high altitude jumps you seem to be doing daily, a small 02 meter might be of benefit. You generally won't know there is a hypoxia problem until it is too late.

Oh and Listerine seems to help me avoid sore throats on the 02 jumps. That and my own hose. No sharing.....
Dano

I am a deep sea diver in the Army. We breathe oxygen in the water up to 30ft and up to 60ft in a recompression chamber. The other comment was correct and good advice about staying hydrated. We deal with two types of O2 toxicity Pulmonary and CNS. CNS is from breathing pure oxygen deeper than 60ft. Pulmonary is from breathing pure O2 for extended periods of time. Pulmonary happens after breathing O2 for hours on end.

You don't breathe it for hours on end and not at depth so you shouldn't have anything to worry about in that area. That was a little sidebar FYI for ya.

We breathe aviator O2 for much longer times thans those. Often 30 minutes at a time with a 5 minute break in between 30 minute periods.

Try some candy or cough drops after your dives to keep your throught moist. The other comment was spot on. If your are dehydrated the dry air is going to affect you much worse than if you were hydrated. Hydrate the night before diving, day of diving, and the day after. DEEP SEA!

Yes,

"Aviator's Breathing Oxygen (ABO) is designated Grade A, Type I Oxygen,...It must meet a minimum purity requirement, including moisture content, of 99.5% by volume and my not contain more than 0.005 mg of water vapor per liter at 760mm Hg and 68 degrees F. (20 degrees C). It must be odorless and free from contaminants, including drying agents. Do not confuse aviators breathing oxygen with "technical" oxygen or "medical" oxygen."

Medical oxygen may be dry, and is often bubbled through water to add humidity. Aviator oxygen must be dry.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

As others have said nothing long term.

When I did a few High Alt jumps a day for weeks on end my room mate and I got a Humidifier for our hotel room and ran it every day, it seemed to help in our "recovery".

loudiamond or Skymonkeyone would know more as they "Lived" at altitude for a while.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Medical O2 has moisture

Aviator O2 has the moisture removed

They remove the moisture to avoid it freezing at high altitude. They may remove it for medical reasons also which I am unfamiliar with. Possibly pulmonary edema? You can get pulmonary edema from breathing in a negative pressure chamber or like climbers get while climbing. Maybe the dry O2 helps mitigate the effects of having less pressure at altitude. Just my guess.

SIDEBAR:
Scuba divers use special cold water first stage regulators filled with silicone to avoid their AIR not oxygen from freezing while diving at cold temps... BURR!

>is there any differance between regular medical oxygen and aviation oxygen??

Nowadays - no. They both come from the same tank of LO2.

Historically aviation oxygen was completely dry, but nowadays all commercial compressed O2 is dry. Often medical applications will bubble it through a jar of water to add some H20 back to the O2 before it's delivered to the patient.

Thanks guys, my mind is at ease now.

I have this aloe vera drink that I like, I have been having a swirl or two of that after high altitude loads.

Seems to help alot, I am breathing through my nose more now also.

Here is a freefly jump I did with one of our camea dudes from 18k exactly a minute from exit to break off and we were going relatively fast too, break off at 5k.

http://www.skydivefranz.co.nz/gallery/54?videoID=6gf9uxyghzvqpvll

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix