Douggarr

Traveling commercial with gear

is it just me or is the TSA just plain clueless? My last three trips, I've been detained and hassled 5 of 6 flights by security people who ignore the AAD X-ray card, the USPA letter saying we're not terrorists, etc. and watch them search their manual for "what to do when a skydiver boards with a parachute" instructions. Jetting out of LAX last week, I was as polite as possible, never once uttered the word explosive and was just short of having to open both containers. In fact, one of the security officers tried to take my rig out of my gear bag by pulling the reserve ripcord handle. Like to hear what others have to say.
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

is it just me or is the TSA just plain clueless?

Yes.

I've traveled with my rig a lot and I've had very few actual issues, and none that have required me to open my rig or have ultimately prevented me from carrying the rig on board. Skydiving equipment is a rare enough thing that I am not at all surprised when a TSA agent doesn't know/recall the specific rules around it and needs to consult a supervisor. Some locations seem to have their SOP that a supervisor gets called over.

I consider the "cluelessness" part of the process and roll with it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My last two times I have left MCO I have been stopped and asked for my "ID card" that allows me to carry the parachute. I don;t know what card this is, so I tell them I don;t have anything, and that none are required. This last time, it turns out that this is the cypres card. After asking for the supervisor, who kept demanding this ID card - I got his boss. They went and reviewed security procedures, and then original "supervisor/inspector" apologized to me for requiring this card, but that it was what let him verify what was in the rig. He then informed me that he was a military jumper, had 75 jumps, but still decided that some rigs still have "blasting caps" in them.

I then told the manager that this is twice I have had to deal with incompetent employees coming through B terminal, and was assured of a re-briefing on the matter. We'll see next time I go down. I expect nothing, but feel like writing the letter to the TSA anyway.

Whenever I travel I always tie my reserve handle down...make it obvious like with a huge orange rope or something so you don't forget it...I actually made a wide Velcro strap with a bright red 'remove before flight' streamer attached to it.

I did have a TSA monkey pull my reserve a few years ago...simple precaution tying it down.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

My last two times I have left MCO I have been stopped and asked for my "ID card" that allows me to carry the parachute. I don;t know what card this is, so I tell them I don;t have anything, and that none are required. This last time, it turns out that this is the cypres card. After asking for the supervisor, who kept demanding this ID card - I got his boss. They went and reviewed security procedures, and then original "supervisor/inspector" apologized to me for requiring this card, but that it was what let him verify what was in the rig. He then informed me that he was a military jumper, had 75 jumps, but still decided that some rigs still have "blasting caps" in them.

I then told the manager that this is twice I have had to deal with incompetent employees coming through B terminal, and was assured of a re-briefing on the matter. We'll see next time I go down. I expect nothing, but feel like writing the letter to the TSA anyway.

On the other hand...

Going through LAX a couple months ago I was asked to remove the rig from the bag in secondary inspection...the TSA d00d flipped it over and look at the empty AAD window.

"No automatic activation device huh?"

No, I told him...and he just said thanks and let me go...I was impressed! B|

I use my chest strap and wrap it around the reserve handle then I secure the tail of the chest strap just as I do before i jump. It works really well and i have to untie it to put the rig on ;)

Great idea!

I use my chest strap and wrap it around the reserve handle then I secure the tail of the chest strap just as I do before i jump. It works really well and i have to untie it to put the rig on ;)

Great idea!

That's exactly what i do also, but i then also tie a bright pullup cord around BOTH shoulder straps ands secure then too.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Several trips in the past few years, Tampa, Chicago, Ontario, Houston with no problem. I keep container in a small bag by it's self and have never even had it removed. Lead is also in the bag, but I put it thorough separately with no problem.
Dano

.I actually made a wide Velcro strap with a bright red 'remove before flight' streamer attached to it.

I do the chest strap thing too, but your idea works well. I like the bright "remove before flight" streamer. Rumor has it a jumper tried to get on the plane at our place this weekend with his reserve handle still tied down. DOH!

A friend of mine sewed a big "remove before flight" label on his hangglider carry bag. I thought it was hilarious, but he said the h/g pilots didn't think it was very funny. :D

I use my chest strap and wrap it around the reserve handle then I secure the tail of the chest strap just as I do before i jump. It works really well and i have to unwrap it to put the rig on ;)

I always wrap my entire shoulder straps from the 3-rings down past the handles with something called Coban. It's sort of similar to an ace bandage and it sticks to its self. Works great!!
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----