thomas63

gear for sale on Dropzone.com

I have several items for sale on Dropzone.com and every jumper who asks about them believes that I am willing to "give " the gear away for free.when did this become a site for free/cheap gear.
How much is a new rig today $3,500-4,000.How pathetic that you are unable to spot value.

right on , Monkey.why do people think that I will sell these items for less than current value.these values do fluctuate,granted, but 1/3 or less come on now.it is interesting.

your gear is not worth what you think it is worth....it is worth only what someone is willing to buy it for. So if you happen to like an odd colour scheme and you are not willing to split the gear up (sell separately) it is possible you could NEVER sell it. Just think about it. you are asking someone else to like all of the following all at the same time....brand of rig, size of rig, colour of rig, brand of main, colour of main, size of main, brand of reserve, size of reserve, condition etc etc I sell lots of stuff for friends and try to sell complete, end up always selling in pieces.

rm

Monkey.why do people think that I will sell these items for less than current value.these values do fluctuate,granted, but 1/3 or less come on now.it is interesting.

You want people to pay current value for USED gear? Why would anyone buy anything used when they could get brand new, custom made for their body and prefrences then?

You buy a new car , as soon as you leave the dealership you lose 25% of that cars value and from there it continues to depreciate....

Used gear is just that.... it is only worth what someone will pay for it... if you dont like the price they want to pay for it move on to another buyer. Either it will sell in time, or you could adjust the price or keep it.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

You want a lot for your gear, and a potential buyer wants it for a little. You are two sides of the same coin. Why does the fact that this exists bother, or even surprise you? I can't count the number of times I've offered people ridiculously low amounts for something (car, rig, house...) It is an "everything to gain and nothing to lose" proposition.

As said above, something is "worth" only what people will pay for it. I have seen MANY case where the owner far overvalued his possessions. I haven't looked at any of your sales, but maybe I should. Do you indicated prices on them?

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Complete rig for 2100.00

Less that 100 jumps...

> Not a 'bargain' since it's almost 10 years old, but not over priced by any means...and you DO have OBO with it.
What kind of 'offers' have you been receiving?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

In all reality a 1990 Manufactured reserve, for example, doesn't hold very much value compared to current 2006 retail rates. The first thing to remember when pricing used gear is not to use retail pricing as a guide to market value. At the least you need to knock 20% off of that as that's what just about everyone has access to new gear for.

Then there is the type of gear in question. Racers, for example again, tend to hold far less value than other more main stream manufacturers. A main canopy design that is no longer manufactured will probably also be less than markatable.

Here's the point. What do you want? Is the gear better served sitting in your closet if it doesn't fetch high dollars, or would you rather have a reasonable amout of cash in your pocket.

BTW, I've found you can sell used gear for more in person on a DZ then you ever will on DZ.com.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

To pile on to the criticism....

all your items:
PD-190: f-111 canopy w/ 500 jumps? I have no idea...maybe a couple hundred max? I've heard that F-111 with around that many or more isn't worth much more than a car cover.
Complete rig: Although $700 (1/3 your list) may seem cheap, your $2100 seems rather high. This is used and old technology....and no mention of an AAD (and how much life left). How can a Racer be called a "2000" but dom 4/97?
Jedei: Maybe your best item, as I've heard a lot of good things about it. Still, I think it is a niche market item. $1000?
Racer: same is in the "complete rig"?
Raven(s?): 15 yr old reserve? Probably not a whole lot...about the same as the PD-190

Sorry man, but this is reality.

When I buy used gear, I always wait until I can get it cheap. What's the deal with people expecting to get what they paid when they sell their new gear????? Should've thought that purchase through a little better....im h(as always) o.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I see no prices.. My translation on that is "Make me an Offer" which will open the door to your frustration: preceived value vs. what someone will pay (reality). Hell I will buy the lot from you for $500 Cash! I dont really think your going to take my offer but you gave no starting point. Hell even a used car dealer gives a starting price

Quick rull to remember as a seller...
"You Dont get anything unless you ask"

Quick rule to remember as a buyer....
"You Dont get anything unless you ask"

It is funny how that line works on both sides...

I suggest you revise your classfieds to show kinda what you want and go from there or go to E-bay and start at 0.99.. I would suggest a reserve though if your not happy with the offers your getting now...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I have several items for sale on Dropzone.com and every jumper who asks about them believes that I am willing to "give " the gear away for free.when did this become a site for free/cheap gear.
How much is a new rig today $3,500-4,000.How pathetic that you are unable to spot value.

If I want to pay retail, I have many opportunities to do so. This generally does not include person-to-person sale of older, used gear.

How much is used gear worth? Whatever the market will bear.

The range of sale price for a given piece of equipment can easily vary by an order of magnitude. Price can be a function of seller, buyer, venue, season, and a host of other factors. A brand new rig with all the bells and whistles can fetch a pittance at a storage facility auction ("heck, I wanted to use this as a car cover, and this thing is not much bigger than a bed sheet..."), and gutter gear occasionally fetches princely sums ("the Government paid thousands for this for their paratroops and I got it for half price! I even got the lines they cut off!").

If you put a price on something, you will weed out the people who are simply testing the waters. In addition, you will let potential buyers know whether it is worth their time to pursue a potential purchase.

If you do not put a price on something, serious buyers are likely to lose interest before they figure out how much you actually want for it.

In any event, you really have no right to complain about respondents offering less than what you might think is fair if you do not let on how much you think that is in the first place.

If you think it's worth $12,500 for everything and you get a buyer, more power to you.

If you pick a price based on your estimation of its current value and it does not sell, either you asked too much, you did not do a good enough job describing it, or the right buyer has not come along yet.

People sell gear on Dropzone.com, and tend to get fair market value. If you do your homework and change your approach accordingly, you should be able to do so as well.

Blue skies,

Winsor

>How much is a new rig today $3,500-4,000.How pathetic that you are
>unable to spot value.

New custom gear fits. Your gear won't fit as well; you won't get as much for it. It won't be the exact color they want. It won't have the exact options they want. Why should they buy from you if you are charging near what the gear cost, when they can get exactly what they want for a little more?

"Value" to other people is not the same as "value" to you. If the gear is really valuable to you - then hang onto it! If you want to sell it, though, then you will have to live with what OTHER people think it is worth.

How did you come up with the "value" of your gear. I looked at what you had and came up with substantially different prices.

Eight year old containers are not going to sell anywhere near the price of a new one, no matter how few jumps.

F111 canopies do not hold their value well when they have several hundred jumps. Especially after being repaired.

Fifteen year old reserves are not bringing top dollar in comparison to new reserves with newer designs.

While your most valuable item is likely to be the Jedei, ZP canopies lose significant value when the model name is discontinued.

The age of the equipment is going to make it difficult to sell. I recently gave away an eleven year old Javelin NJ, because that is the price the market would bear.

For Great Deals on Gear

Just checked your ad about the Racer. Here's how I would value it -

100 jump Racer SST - $500. Less if it's a velcro version. Racers require two pin cypreses, so they are harder to mix n match.
Sabre 1 170 - $400 if it only has 100 jumps on it. They open hard and there are much better canopies on the market now.
Raven 2 - $300 with a few repacks. Ravens are unpopular now due to structural problems and the flare/stall/crash problem. But the Raven II (218 sq ft) doesn't have as much of a flare problem, so you can probably still get $300 for it.

OTOH, I know people who are throwing away their old MicroRaven 135's because they don't feel that they are worth anything, and don't want to give them to someone who might get hurt. That thinking may bleed over to the larger sizes.

So altogether you _might_ be able to get $1200 for it. $1000 is more likely.

I've had great luck selling and buying on DZ.com. Bought a 3 year old Dolphin, w/3 year old F-111 main and 3 year old Smart 220 for $1800 a year and a half ago. Also sold some stuff for good prices.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am.

BTW, I've found you can sell used gear for more in person on a DZ then you ever will on DZ.com.

I've had exactly the opposite experience. Just goes to show, YMMV.

:)

Yeah, the problem with dealing in person is you're usually selling to your friends. Sometimes, friends who are hot women. These people get better deals than someone else.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Yeah, the problem with dealing in person is you're usually selling to your friends. Sometimes, friends who are hot women. These people get better deals than someone else.

I love that ;)B|:) It's so true too.

I love that ;)B|:) It's so true too.

I got a canopy like that once. :$:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message