zymrgst

Safety Concerns with a used rig

First post, new jumper (45 jumps). Just got my first rig, and while everything looked good and checked out on the ground, when the canopy is open overhead, the chest strap rides up quite a bit.

I've talked with multiple instructors about it and the basic consensus is: you'll be fine, its your first rig, jump it and get rid of it soon.

Anyway, the issue... the chest strap sits at neck level under canopy. I can still look down&around to see my surrounding airspace. My main concern is what happens in the event of a cutaway? Is this safe? I tend to think not, and everyone is telling me the cost to send to a rigger for a MLW adjustment is NOT worth it.

It's a vector 2. In pretty good condition, all things considered. When I sent it for the inspection & repack (it was due at time of purchase) I had new velcro and leg pads put on. I would like to keep this rig in the future to use as a turn rig for belly flying after I purchase a completely custom, brand new everything rig early next year. Is it worth adjusting this harness? Will I be safe if I need to go to reserve? Should I just get through this year and retire the rig/sell it?

It is good to be safety conscious but you will probably be fine. Lots of students are put through rental gear that is not a great fit.

My recommendation, jump it till you find a good deal on better fitting 2nd hand gear or you buy your own new stuff. 45 jumps is earlier than most people buy gear, nothing stopping you looking for something better while getting dirk/grass stains on the older gear (Most people take a while to get landings dialed in).

Buying new is expensive until you are a size you plan to use for years. Depends on your financial situation though. It took me 3 years of jumping and a number of down sizes till i got a custom container.

Do you have any slack left after tightening you chest strap? If so loosen it under canopy you will be more comfortable
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Most manufactures will reharness a container for around $150 to $200 dollars. Its worth it to have a rig that fits on the side of Good rather than a rig that fits on the side of Bad. Not 1 single person in this forum can give you advise worth listening to concerning the safety of your current rig without seeing it on you in person. Speak to a Rigger and S&TA in person with your rig concerning this issue.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

I was in the same boat when I got my first set of gear, and I chose to get my MLW resized. My container was an Infinity and the resize ran $400, at VSE. UPT charges $450-$500 for a MLW resize. Some Master Riggers can do it, and the charge varies, but probably in the $350-$500 range. For me, it was worth it. I bought the container when I was jumping the largest size main it held; now I'm down to the smallest, and I'll still be using it as a turn rig once I get my new-used system put together next month. I've had the rig for more than two years and I'll have it, most likely, for another year at least. More than worth it, for the almost 600 jumps I've put on it so far.

Rental gear, back when I used it, never fit right. I'm on the shorter side (5'6"), and the looser harness on rental rigs left me bruises on the inside of my thighs from opening and on my biceps from just about everything, because the hardware inside the mudflaps pressed there instead of riding lower like it was supposed to. It also made it harder to reach to reach the ties to collapse my slider, especially if it stuck a few inches above the risers; and while I could still look around I couldn't look over my shoulders very well, which increased the size of my blind spot. At one point I tried borrowing a buddy's rig, and while it seemed to fit okay on the ground, on opening the chest strap snapped up to my throat. On the one jump where I was looking down as I pitched instead of out, head-high, the chest strap hit my throat so hard I choked and almost blacked out. So it CAN be a safety issue, even if you're not worried about falling out of the rig. While most of the time you might remember to remind yourself to look up when you pitch, sometimes you might forget; and you certainly can't guarantee optimal body position when your reserve deploys, in the event of a cutaway. So while not everyone will agree, it is my thought that IF you are planning on putting a large number of jumps on your rig, it's worth paying the cost for a MLW adjustment.

> I can still look down&around to see my surrounding airspace. My main concern is what
>happens in the event of a cutaway? Is this safe? I tend to think not, and everyone is
>telling me the cost to send to a rigger for a MLW adjustment is NOT worth it.

It's not ideal but it's not very unsafe. About 25% of our students ended up with a chest strap by their necks, and my first two rigs were like that. When I had to cut away for the first time, the cutaway handle wasn't where I expected it to be (it was much higher) but it still worked OK - and the harness collapsed back to its original position once the canopy was gone. That's something to keep in mind; the reserve handle won't be where you expect it to be after the cutaway.

If it's in great shape I'd consider getting the MLW shortened. If not, save up for a new rig that fits you well.

douwanto

Most manufactures will reharness a container for around $150 to $200 dollars. Its worth it to have a rig that fits on the side of Good rather than a rig that fits on the side of Bad. Not 1 single person in this forum can give you advise worth listening to concerning the safety of your current rig without seeing it on you in person. Speak to a Rigger and S&TA in person with your rig concerning this issue.

Dream on on a reharness for that price. Possibly a mlw adjustment but look to spend a lot more on a reharness.

skytribe

***Most manufactures will reharness a container for around $150 to $200 dollars.

Dream on on a reharness for that price. Possibly a mlw adjustment but look to spend a lot more on a reharness.

UPT will charge around 500$ for a complete harness.
http://www.uptvector.com/PDF/Support/Rigging/05257(RiggingPL).pdf
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Before re-sizing your harness, confirm that your leg straps are tight. Poorly-fitted leg straps/pads can throw off all other harness dimensions. There should be about a 2 inch (5cm) gap between the ends of the leg pads.
Re-sizing a straight harness (all Vector 1, most Vector 2 and some Vector 3) is simpler than replacing part of a ringed harness, just pop all the stitches in the hip joint, adjust length, then see it back together. Cutting old stitches is a delicate job best done by a Master Rigger. I only charge $100 for re-sizing a straight harness.

>I think I'm just going to end up sending it in and having them do the work.

Good call. The fact that you were concerned enough to bring it up is a good indication that something is wrong. Putting the safety concerns aside, and they could be substantial, having a properly fitted rig will increase your comfort level and enjoyment - which should pay big dividends while you continue to use that rig.