shah269

Snivvle Snivvle...what to do while waiting?

I've pumped the brakes to get some to open properly. Make sure you pull them both, and evenly too. ;)

Your saying you pull your brakes prior to inflation?

Yeah...is that a good idea? I mean pulling rears sure...but brakes?

I did it on over 100 jumps. I suppose if you're not sure that you can get your hands out of the toggles it would be bad, but not a problem for me.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Pull out your copy of parachutist and take a self portrait for next month's reader photos.

That there is SMART!
A Gopro on your foot looking up! This could be fun!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Why bring me into this?

It's Shah's problem.

I have a problem?
I thought slow soft on heading openings were what everyone wanted. I just wasn't 100% sure as to what I should do in that 4 seconds it takes for the sequence to take place.
So to recap.
1) Keep shoulders level.
2) Keep hips level.
3) Place hands on rear risers.
4) Look up every now and again to make sure it's looking ok.
5) Relax. But be ready to pump the rears if things seem to be "stuck" and if need be go for a cut away.

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the help guys.

It's the little things like this that really help out us new guys.
Thank you!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

I think Bertt (#2) made an important suggestion that you might want to add to the top of your list. Which is to do as we were trained, and count slowly to 5 (or 7, if your canopy tends to be very snivelly) so that you can keep track of the passage of time.

Once you know the typical behavior of your canopy, anything unusually longer (e.g., you reached "9" or "10") will be your clue that you need to check your altitude and then consider other options. That might be trying risers and brake action to get 'er down, but if you pulled unusually low to begin with, it might mean you've hit your decision point and will have to chop right away.

Snivvle Snivvle...what to do?

Very odd n00b question. I have finally downsized to my Triathlon 210. I've noticed that the Triathlon opens much slower and softer than the student Navigators I was jumping. So much softer and slower.....I actually have time to look up at the opening sequence and ponder the meaning of life and all that fun stuff. So the question is what should a guy do to ensure safe and stable openings when there is a snivvle?

First I do not look at my opening.... I look dead ahead to keep a heading

Second..... What I do during that time depends on the time of day..... if it is after 2pm I am normally already thinking about beer! ;)
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I think Bertt (#2) made an important suggestion that you might want to add to the top of your list. Which is to do as we were trained, and count slowly to 5 (or 7, if your canopy tends to be very snivelly) so that you can keep track of the passage of time.

Once you know the typical behavior of your canopy, anything unusually longer (e.g., you reached "9" or "10") will be your clue that you need to check your altitude and then consider other options. That might be trying risers and brake action to get 'er down, but if you pulled unusually low to begin with, it might mean you've hit your decision point and will have to chop right away.

THANK YOU! :)Yes, I do count, usually 5 seconds.
But thank you I forgot to add that.

Very odd n00b question. I have finally downsized to my Triathlon 210. I've noticed that the Triathlon opens much slower and softer than the student Navigators I was jumping. So much softer and slower.....I actually have time to look up at the opening sequence and ponder the meaning of life and all that fun stuff. So the question is what should a guy do to ensure safe and stable openings when there is a snivvle?

First I do not look at my opening.... I look dead ahead to keep a heading ;)

Come one now, we all should be able to look around us to check on where those opening near us are headed without upsetting the opening of our own canopy. Is yours so touchy that you can't look up or around? I never want to have a canopy anywhere near that unforgiving.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

First I do not look at my opening.... I look dead ahead to keep a heading ;)

Come one now, we all should be able to look around us to check on where those opening near us are headed without upsetting the opening of our own canopy. Is yours so touchy that you can't look up or around? I never want to have a canopy anywhere near that unforgiving.

I do look around and wondered if someone would ask me how literal I was being. My point was I do not look up and stare at the opening. I look on heading in general but I also still look around to check for traffic. I jump a xfire 2 and it is an amazing canopy but with a camera helmet on I do everything I can for a nice opening.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Did 4 jumps yesterday, and on average I would say 4-6 seconds and very soft openings.
And yes, i kept and my shoulders square and all went well.
Thank you so much for your help.
Shah