Namowal

Hey! Feels like I'm falling.

According to what I've read, including searches on this forum, most skydivers don't feel a falling sensation. I've only jumped a few times (2 tandems, and AFF level 1), but each time I felt a drop.

It was the worst on my first tandem- unmistakable and a bigger drop than I've ever felt on a roller coaster. The feeling was less strong on tandem #2 (the fact that we flipped around a few times may have distracted my inner ears.) The AFF jump was a more normal exit, but again, for the first few seconds, I felt the drop. Again, it wasn't nearly as strong as my first jump, but it was there.

In each case, it went away after 5-10 seconds.

Is my mind playing tricks on me? Or are a few people super sensitive to this kind of thing?
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Don't think of it as falling, Jennifer. Think of it as accelerating up to flight speed. Once you reach terminal velocity. You can fly your body most effectively.

I like how you think. I have noticed it feels more like accelerating an less like a drop with each jump.

Alternatively, you can simply think "Yee_Hawww!"

Well, the feeling does remind of the scene from Dr. Strangeglove where the guy rides the bomb down, rodeo style! :)

From the other answers, it sounds like this is something you adapt to once you've done it enough times. A bit like moving (or staying) near busy train tracks or a big airport. At first the racket wakes you up with a jolt and you wonder how on earth to locals tolerate it. Then you get used to it.

When the guy...?! Oh, Jennifer. Let's give Major Kong his props, huh?

DOOOR!!!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlSQAZEp3PA

You'll eventually come to love the exit. It's a fun part of the dive cycle.

Heh heh. Actually I watched that scene a few times for inspiration (of sorts) before my last two jumps. The door and the drop scare me, but remembering his nutcase enthusiasm puts some fun back in the situation.:$

What kind of plane?

I never feel a falling sensation out of Twin Otters and Skyvans at normal exit speed, but I do notice it out of C182s and other slower exit speed aircraft.

My first was out of a a C182 or something similar. That's the one where I felt it the most. The next two were out of a Twin Otter. Still felt a drop but it was wayless dramatic than out of the Cessna.

I get a few seconds of falling sensation when jumping a Cessna 182 or 206 (and helicopters of course), but I have never gotten a falling sensation when jumping a Cessna 195, King Air, Otter or Skyvan. Probably has to do with the airspeed.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...