theplummeter

I ran my mouth at a company meeting...

...and think I may have managed to hook myself up with a free logo canopy.

At the conclusion of every work meeting when anyone asks if there is any new business I pipe up with rude comments about corporate sponsorship (or dirty jokes, or both). Today, we had a manager from the head office and I did my usual routine, but got the response that if I shoot him a reasonable quote on a logo canopy that he thinks he can make it happen.

So, who would be the best folks to talk to and does anyone have canopy recommendations? I am currently jumping a Safire2 169 and absolutely love it, although I also loved the fusion and Sabre2. Would I contact the manufacturers directly or go through a dealer?

So, who would be the best folks to talk to and does anyone have canopy recommendations? I am currently jumping a Safire2 169 and absolutely love it, although I also loved the fusion and Sabre2. Would I contact the manufacturers directly or go through a dealer?

I'd atleast talk to a dealer first, most mfgrs won't sell direct anyways.

I'd get something you could reasonably shoot pretty good accuracy in though. Chances are if they got their name on it, they're going to want to show it off. B|
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If it was me, I would skip the dealer and call the company directly and speak to them about it. There are a number of companies who can do logo canopies and they will at least speak to about the choices you would have and cost etc.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

that if I shoot him a reasonable quote on a logo canopy that he thinks he can make it happen.

Did you give him an idea of what a regular , non logo canopy costs at some point? My guess is that the quote for a logo canopy will make his coffee come out his nose when he sees it. What does he consider "reasonable" is a good place to start. Also keep in mind that a logo canopy will be larger in pack volume for it's size due to the additional fabric of the logo that has to be sewn on. Can your current container potentially hold a larger volume (not size) canopy?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Way to bring down the thread with logic and accurate information. ;)

While we are being honest, should he indicate that as a student with 35 jumps he will probably wear out the canopy before he has enough experience to demo it at something like a stadium event?

For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

While we are being honest, should he indicate that as a student with 35 jumps

I didn't want to unload both barrels in one shot and come across as negative in answering his question. But you are correct, at 35 jumps, one should be focusing on other more important aspects of skydiving besides flying a logo canopy.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

in reply to ".....and think I may have managed to hook myself up with a free logo canopy. "

Nice one. perhaps your company would be better served if you had a full-timer jumping the logo.

Better yet, perhaps your company/manager could see the benefits of sponsoring a team,

As he has asked for a quote , perhaps give him a few options at the top end of the scale as well as the bottom.

Win win :)

While we are being honest, should he indicate that as a student with 35 jumps

I didn't want to unload both barrels in one shot and come across as negative in answering his question. But you are correct, at 35 jumps, one should be focusing on other more important aspects of skydiving besides flying a logo canopy.

Well seeing he won't be able to jump it on demos for a while he could send it to me and I'll break it in for him. New canopies need a hundred jumps or so on them to settle them into skydiving.....;)
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I'm not looking to do demos, really just trying to get a free canopy as we have a certain budget for PR spending and this would fall within that budget. I estimated 2k for a canopy with the logo, but as I have a brand new canopy already I also suggested a harness/container. I just have to get them quotes and they'll let me know a yes or no decision.

Dude just get them to get you a bad ass skull and cross bones wing!
company logo or not it's freaking BAD ASS!
and when you are not jumping it you can hang in a hallway?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Dude just get them to get you a bad ass skull and cross bones wing!
company logo or not it's freaking BAD ASS!
and when you are not jumping it you can hang in a hallway?

Perhaps he should get one with a broken femur?:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message