npgraphicdesign

Are you more/less comfortable with certain instructors?

I teach full time, and as a professor, I know that some students aren't comfortable with my teaching style. I was the same way in graduate school, and while I learned something from each professor and respected them, I didn't necessarily feel at ease w/ their teaching approach.

Is skydiving the same way? Being just a noob to the sport, this might be a stupid question. But do some of you feel more or less comfortable with some instructors, for whatever reason?

I happen to like all of the instructors I've encountered at my DZ.

I do have one in mind that I would like to ask to go with me on my graduation/A check dive or whatever you want to call it. He was my 1st jump instructor, I'm enjoying his instructing and he makes it fun so I'd like to make it a full circle. :)

Always be kinder than you feel.

Absolutely some students are more comfortable with some instructors. I know I was. Some instructors set students at ease better, teach with a style the student 'gets' better, makes it more fun for the student in a way they enjoy, etc.

That said, I don't think students should have one instructor only. All of us teach a little differently, with slightly different focus points. Just having one perspective from one instructor only ends up limiting the student more than helping them. They also need to realize that the skydive is in THEIR hands, not the instructors, so leaning too heavily from an emotional stance on one instructor can hurt confidence in themselves as they progress in the sport.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I hated the tandem factory i done my AFF at, and me being me i managed to get kicked off the DZ for the day without even having my A yet :D

But still, i wouldn't change the instructors i had for anything. They were top rate.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I hated the tandem factory i done my AFF at, and me being me i managed to get kicked off the DZ for the day without even having my A yet :D

But still, i wouldn't change the instructors i had for anything. They were top rate.

I have this strange curiousity to hear this story...;)

+1 :)
Always be kinder than you feel.

I teach full time as a prof too.

If, by comfortable, you mean "safe". I felt safe with all. (In fact one of the grumpier was one who I felt the safest with).

If, by comfortable, you mean "at ease". Sure there were differences. However, the one who at first really put me off... turned out to be a great resource and did my check jumps for both "self supervision" and my "A" license. He took me on a fun jump very early in my career which was the first time that I really turned some points and felt like a skydiver.

Actually, I was reminded of a lot of important teaching skills by watching my very skilled skydiving instructors. I have found that I am a better teacher for the experience of being a total novice and learning a new skill. It was time well spent on many levels.

Stay safe, have fun. :)

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I'm a teacher, also (music). In the beginning of my student progression, there were only about 3 instructors that I was completely comfortable with - until I realized that my performance in the air had more to do with my attitude and preparedness than whether I was comfortable with a particular teaching style.

It's a simple fact that, as a teacher, I will spend more time with students who show a genuine interest in improving, even if they are very slow to learn. The cocky ones who are decent players, but do not feel the need to practice, do not get so much of my time and attention - they mostly behave as though they don't need me, or that what I'm trying to teach them is useless drivel. I still encourage them, and I'm never belittling, but I do use what I call "gentle mockery" to get their attention, sometimes.

I suspect skydiving instructors are on the lookout for attitudes before anything else.

I know for a fact that becoming a teacher has made me a better student, which has ended up making me a better teacher.
T.I.N.S.

I suspect skydiving instructors are on the lookout for attitudes before anything else.

That is part of the whole screening process that is rigid dogma in military instruction, but done more subtly at civilian skydiving schools.
On many ocassions, first jump instructors have quietly led students out of the classroom and introduced them to me as "our best tandem instructor."
... with the unspoken hint that they would never be allowed to leave an airplane alone.

Let's be honest, a small percentage of skydiving students are only "craters in search of coordinates" and should never be allowed to exit an airplane alone.
Good instructors screen them out early in the teaching process to prevent messy accidents.

In conclusion, I had carried my life-time quota of stretchers off of DZs by 1980.

I teach full time as a prof too.

If, by comfortable, you mean "safe". I felt safe with all. (In fact one of the grumpier was one who I felt the safest with).

If, by comfortable, you mean "at ease". Sure there were differences. However, the one who at first really put me off... turned out to be a great resource and did my check jumps for both "self supervision" and my "A" license. He took me on a fun jump very early in my career which was the first time that I really turned some points and felt like a skydiver.

Actually, I was reminded of a lot of important teaching skills by watching my very skilled skydiving instructors. I have found that I am a better teacher for the experience of being a total novice and learning a new skill. It was time well spent on many levels.

Stay safe, have fun. :)

My question wasn't in reference to specific instructor, but more a general question. That being said, I've felt 100% with any instructor I've had so far.

So no, I didn't mean 'safe' but 'at ease.' Thanks for the clarification. My English 'ain't' so good in the morning. :P

A big part of the instructor's job is to put the students at ease. A relaxed student learns better and performs better. When I started, there were still a lot of militaristic style instructors out there, with a sprinkling of some better ones. I became a JM and I to pay back the good ones and dilute the bad ones.

A big part of the job is reading each student and seeing how much or how little calming down they need. I like to think I do a pretty good job in this area.

When I was going through my AFF training, I stayed with instructor. All of the other instructors at my dz were all great instructors, however, I feel more comfortable with 1 particular. I liked his teaching style, he has a way of making me feel at ease & relaxed. As well as he knows my weaknesses & strengths....so he knows when to push the limit & when not to. Make sense...anywho...I hope this helps!
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

, I know that some students aren't comfortable with my teaching style. I was the same way in graduate school, and while I learned something from each professor and respected them, I didn't necessarily feel at ease w/ their teaching approach.

I think you've answered your own question right here. I've felt safe (given it was skydiving) and learned a lot from all my instructors. There were and are some who I preferred over others. Isn't that just human nature?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

to pay back the good ones and dilute the bad ones.

A big part of the job is reading each student and seeing how much or how little calming down they need. I like to think I do a pretty good job in this area.

ditto. I decided I wanted to become an instructor to help dilute the bad ones, and to be one of the good ones. I've had a couple less-than-capable instructors, and several very gifted instructors whom I look to as mentors.
I think no matter what your technique may be, there will always be a small percentage that might be better reached by someone else. Part of being a good instructor (IMO) is identifying who those people are, and getting them in front of someone more compatible.

There are ABSOLUTELY instructors that have made me extremely nervous. I have just tried to associate with the good ones and avoid/ ignore the bad.
Its not necessarily that they are not knowledgeable instructors, just that they have an exceptionally poor teaching style. I am fortunate enough to have been trained at a DZ (the farm) where there are far more good/ great instructors than bad ones. But then again what the hell do I know, I only have 67 jumps.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

my aff-instructors were really laid back guys, safe, easy going, very calm. that was good. when i progressed and on my checkdives, i expressed my wish to do it with the chief instructor. not easy going at all, but a great teacher with lots of knowledge. he then became my "mentor". nobody really likes him i guess, but i appreciate his straight approach at things. i'm a slacker myself, if i hang around with other slackers too much, i might get complacent at some time. i wont with him, as he'll wash my head if it needs it.. :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I definitely have my favorites. I don't mind at all using a male instructor but I prefer the only female instructor at the dz. What really makes me uncomfortable is using an instructor with a heavy accent. I have trouble understanding them under normal conditions but then add the stress and all the noise...not good.

Definitely. I'm overly shy and some instructors just have a way of making you feel like their best friend the moment they meet you, others don't. They aren't doing anything wrong, that's just nature.

Pete Langehans for the win. That guy was my favorite instructor.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

So far, there is only one instructor whose approach I didn't like...at first anyway. As it happens, he has actually taught me more than all of the others combined. He can be a little gruff and I was almost scared of him, but I'm growing to appreciate it!

I'm definately more comfortable with one of my instructors than the other. The one is more serious, and it sounds like he is crapping on me, rather than telling me what I'm doing wrong, while my other is more laid back and chilled and just says things in a nice way.

Due to my personality and upbringing I respond better to the more laid back instructor.

Seems to be 2 schools of thought on this... if you are a shy and higher stressed person who prefers a lower stress instructor:

1. If you can't take the stress of a higher stress instructor.. then you can't handle emergencies if something goes sideways.

2. Learning with a lower stress instructor can work wonders as a good skydiver needs to relax..and the learning process is then more fun and more confidence is developed by the student.

Edit here: (or addition)
I don't know enough as a student to decide which one is the best way to go.. and it becomes way too complicated to figure it out or go against the grain.. I don't like going against an instructor's opinion. I know I do better when I'm with either a more encouraging or lower stress mellow instructor.. but i feel like I should be able to handle the instructor who weeds out and puts the pressure on.

As it is.. I tend to regress with the instructor I perceive as higher stress.. although sometimes he doesn't have to do or say anything.. it's my perception of him and what I know to be his opinions that I feel like I have to take. He knows more than I do.
Success comes in "cans" after a skydive..

Nothing wrong with high stress when a student is being tested or evaluated -- particularly if those skills will be demonstrated in real life in a potentially stressful situation.

But they are going to learn far better under lower stress. The stress can be ramped up as they practice and demonstrate their skills.

If the plan is to weed out 90% of students because you only need 10%, fine, stress them all the time. But if the plan is to get a large proportion of the students to learn the skills, teach with lower stress.

Naturally, what qualifies as an appropriate "low stress" depends on the situation. One student might know the material well and start losing focus unless challenged to a greater degree. Another student might be missing some crucial bit of understanding or skill so a teaching situation becomes higher stress for them in particular, until they have had a chance to fix the issue.

I was just on a week long AFF-course. I stayed with the same instructor the whole week (of course, on the 3 first jumps I had two instructors), and I loved his way of teaching. On one of my last jumps there he was late, and I was told I had to jump with another instructor if I wanted to jump at all that day cause we were expecting bad weather. I was not keen on jumping with anyone else, though all the instructors there are GREAT. I preferred jumping with the instructor I'd had that whole week, because he was really good at making me feel safe and at ease. I think I would've felt less comfortable with anyone else at that stage, not because they were bad instructors, just that I wanted to jump with the guy I'd been jumping with all week. Luckily he just made it before last call ;) Though I would of course jump with another instructor if that was necessary. Can't risk missing out on a jump because of who I jump with!

Seems to be 2 schools of thought on this... if you are a shy and higher stressed person who prefers a lower stress instructor:

1. If you can't take the stress of a higher stress instructor.. then you can't handle emergencies if something goes sideways.

2. Learning with a lower stress instructor can work wonders as a good skydiver needs to relax..and the learning process is then more fun and more confidence is developed by the student.

Edit here: (or addition)
I don't know enough as a student to decide which one is the best way to go.. and it becomes way too complicated to figure it out or go against the grain.. I don't like going against an instructor's opinion. I know I do better when I'm with either a more encouraging or lower stress mellow instructor.. but i feel like I should be able to handle the instructor who weeds out and puts the pressure on.

As it is.. I tend to regress with the instructor I perceive as higher stress.. although sometimes he doesn't have to do or say anything.. it's my perception of him and what I know to be his opinions that I feel like I have to take. He knows more than I do.

I disagree to some extent. I tend towards the higher stress category and tend to really like the ex-military instructors who will kick your ass, before they pamper you.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I disagree to some extent. I tend towards the higher stress category and tend to really like the ex-military instructors who will kick your ass, before they pamper you.

That's really good for you. I do wish I didn't get so tense with the one(s) who I perceive as more critical and hard core..it's frustrating to no end for me.
Success comes in "cans" after a skydive..